Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Touche
Double touche!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Terrible news for people living in EEL EE NWAH!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:00 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
French "forte" (pronounced, roughly, fort) is the feminine version of the adjective meaning strong. "Fort" (pronounced, roughly, forrh) is the masculine. In Italian, it's "forte" (fortay) for both genders. There is no Romance language in which fort or forte is a noun meaning one's strong point; it is unique to English. So I'll stick with "fortay".

Me and you both Larry, another one that I was never sure of is calzone, I've always said calzonay, but on occasion, plastic Italians in London pizza places have attempted to correct me, and say "It's calzoan."
Eventually I asked a married couple of my acquaintance, Americans, of Sicilian descent, who live in New York City, they said that it's calzonay all day long.
Good enough for me.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Me and you both Larry, another one that I was never sure of is calzone, I've always said calzonay, but on occasion, plastic Italians in London pizza places have attempted to correct me, and say "It's calzoan."
Eventually I asked a married couple of my acquaintance, Americans, of Sicilian descent, who live in New York City, they said that it's calzonay all day long.
Good enough for me.
cahl-TZO-nay, if you want to be a purist about it!

Old 11-06-2016, 12:50 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
French "forte" (pronounced, roughly, fort) is the feminine version of the adjective meaning strong. "Fort" (pronounced, roughly, forrh) is the masculine. In Italian, it's "forte" (fortay) for both genders. There is no Romance language in which fort or forte is a noun meaning one's strong point; it is unique to English. So I'll stick with "fortay".
Precisement!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
cahl-TZO-nay, if you want to be a purist about it!

Mille grazie amico!

Old 11-06-2016, 10:51 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Good enough for me.
I'm from New Jersey, home of the Sopranos, and it's "cal-zoan" at every mom & pop pizza parlor here. Capicola ham is "gabagool" here, too.

Former Red Sox ballplayer Rico Petrocelli pronounces his name the American way, where the C is like an S. Around the time he was playing, there was a TV show called Petrocelli and the main character insisted on correcting people to pronounce it the Italian way. I remember hearing that it drove Rico nuts and caused people to start mispronouncing his own name.

I took Italian in high school, so I know how to pronounce all these things "correctly" but I live in America so I pronounce them the way most people do. With surnames, pronunciation is up to the person who owns the name.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm from New Jersey, home of the Sopranos, and it's "cal-zoan" at every mom & pop pizza parlor here. Capicola ham is "gabagool" here, too.

Former Red Sox ballplayer Rico Petrocelli pronounces his name the American way, where the C is like an S. Around the time he was playing, there was a TV show called Petrocelli and the main character insisted on correcting people to pronounce it the Italian way. I remember hearing that it drove Rico nuts and caused people to start mispronouncing his own name.

I took Italian in high school, so I know how to pronounce all these things "correctly" but I live in America so I pronounce them the way most people do. With surnames, pronunciation is up to the person who owns the name.

I vaguely recall Petrocelli, the TV show, he was always trying to complete the building of his new house out west.
There used to be a running gag at the trucking company I worked at, "Who nicked, (Brit slang for stole), Petrocelli's bricks?
I pronounce Petrocelli as Petro-chelly, but I say manseenee for Mancini.
The main station in Milan is Milano Centrale, that's Milahno Chentrahlee to me, but what do I know, I'm just a Brit with strong French connections.
As for the Red Sox, boo boo, I know too many Yankee fans in NYC to talk about them, although I freely admit that I tried to get a ticket for a game at for Fenway Park when I was in Boston years ago, but couldn't get one.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:05 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

I've only heard calzoan, as well by Italian-Americans. Italian-Americans tend to drop the final vowel as in "manicott."

Old 11-13-2016, 12:05 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I've only heard calzoan, as well by Italian-Americans. Italian-Americans tend to drop the final vowel as in "manicott."
I have never heard calzone pronounced as anything but cal-zoan. I have lived in NJ for 58 years. I am not of Italian descent, but lots of NJians are. Never have I heard one say calzone any other way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education