Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
you are confusing atheists with agnostics

If you believe there is no God you are an atheist
If you believe there ....MIGHT...be a God or there might not be a God you are an agnostic.

A difference exits between those two.

I'm not confusing anything.

I'm simply asking another poster whether atheists vary in the stridency of the application of their beliefs, just as there are religious people who vary in the stridency of the application of their beliefs. It's a simple question, really, and not confusing at all IMO.

The poster I was directly replying to had stated that they doubt any atheist parent would ever send their child to a religious school. That just doesn't ring true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:11 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Do you know an atheist parent who does this? Why don't you ask them?
I'm right here.
How about this: because my wife ISN'T an Atheist? How about I live in CLEVELAND OHIO and don't want my kid going to Public School? How about my Catholic Mother In Law even offered to PAY for it?
How about this: we applied for vouchers from the state of Ohio and GOT them. So now my kid goes for free!

Now if that wasn't enough to blow your mind you may want to sit down for this next one...

Sitting down???

I married a Catholic woman! It's TRUE! I even go to CHURCH on Easter and Christmas!!! Can you BELIEVE THAT?!?!?!?!

Is today dumb question day?

Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It happens in this city because the public schools lost accreditation, and the parochial private schools are more affordable than the nonparochial.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Could be for athletics. In my area, the giant public schools have stiff competition for starting spots on varsity teams. Our local Catholic school doesn't have that level of competition. A kid could be a star on our team or he/she could warm the bench or get cut at public school.

Or people might simply like the idea of a small school.
Here in Fort Lauderdale it is the opposite. our local Catholic high school, St. Thomas Aquinas has some of the best high school athletics in the country. It's almost impossible to get a starting position on the football team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It depends on what you mean by 'religious school'. There's the likes of Liberty University,
Horrible, far right institution.

I dated a guy who went there and we couldn't even hold hands in public.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:

If you believe there ....MIGHT...be a God or there might not be a God you are an agnostic.

No, that is not the difference between atheists and agnostics. An atheist is anyone who doesn't happen to believe in any gods, no matter what their reasons or how they approach the question of whether any gods exist. An agnostic is anyone who doesn't claim to know for that any gods exist or not, no matter what their reasons or how they approach the question of whether any gods exist.

Atheism is a belief position and Agnosticism is a knowledge position. Belief and knowledge are related but are separate issues.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:

That is not necessarily true.

In terms of etymology "a" means without, "gnostic" means knowledge. So many agnostics are those without , or those who believe that it isn't possible to "know" if there is or is not a god(s). There is nothing in the etymology that suggests "might" be anything.

Same with atheist. They are those without belief in a god. It is not necessarily a belief that there is no god. A small but significant difference.

Many people consider themselves agnostic atheists or those who have no belief in god and believe that it is fundamentally impossible to have that knowledge.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Is this just a hypothetical scenario? I've known hundreds of atheists over the years, and I doubt any atheist parent would send their child to a religious school. That's because an atheist parent sending their child to a religious school is different than a Christian parent of one denomination sending their child to a school of another denomination. Atheism isn't a religion; it is a lack of belief in a god(s). A Christian sending their child to another Christian school would still be teaching the child a similar, although different theology; an atheist sending the child to a Christian school would be teaching the child something completely contrary to their worldview.
I am an atheist, I wouldn't be worried about sending my child to a religious school if it was the best option available academically. Most atheists aren't afraid of children learning about religion, it is everywhere any way. And atheism isn't my world view, not that of any of my friends who share my lack of belief. Our world views tend to be about what we do believe in.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
If my son showed interest in religion and study of it, I am all for it! I like to read and understand religion.... I think it helps understand different perspectives... don't necessarily have faith or belief system based on what I read. My elder son (9 years of age) has already been to a local church services. He asked about it (he heard from his friends) and I took him. I answer questions about it as best as I can (for a time I was in Catholic school).

Would it be hypocritical for a religious person to go to a secular school?

In my father's native country (very conservative), it was considered a punishable sin to attend a church or services other than your own religion. My father was curious and did so but was essentially kicked out of the house for a week as punishment. I think it is hypocritical to punish someone for the pursuit of knowledge and education while preaching it in church.

Religious people are afraid of their children being "converted". I have never met a atheist who harbors the same fear of pursuit of knowledge and religion.

My children are technically half Roman Catholic and Half Jewish. My wife and I have a Christmas tree and a Menorah in our home. We are open to them choosing their own path when it comes time. We both answer questions and explain both traditions.

Last edited by usayit; 11-29-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,461,271 times
Lots of reasons. Probably isn't their ideal choice, but people make their decisions based on whatever constraints are at hand. Often religious schools provide a better than average education at a less than average (for private schools) price. I've known atheists that have gone to religious schools and sent their children to religious schools. Anyway, I don't think anybody agrees with everything that's promoted at any place, and we know we are paying for things that may not interest us. On a side note, there are also atheists who do like their kids to learn about morals, and religion because it is intertwined with history / social studies.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
I know folks who aren't even remotely catholic (a few of them atheists) that have sent their kids to catholic schools. People who place great stock in living in culturally rich areas of the city (rather than the stucco- big box-store suburbs) where the public schools aren't so great often see this as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education