Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Depends on the old teacher and depends on the new teacher plus their program. Some of us old farts are constantly reading the latest education related news and research.
Very true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 06:19 AM

809 posts, read 1,330,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
That all goes back to children should be placed in daycares or preschools or some form of school setting so that they can socialize. That is why most not all disabilities can be diagnosed so early because many children act out or hard at grasping concepts because they never was exposed to a school environment
Are you kidding me? Children don't need daycare or preschool to to learn socialization skills.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 AM

525 posts, read 406,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Are you kidding me? Children don't need daycare or preschool to to learn socialization skills.

Mmm....

Yes they do. Skills such as sharing, conflict problem solving, building friendships, and building teacher correspondent all starts in school or a form of school. School is the first institution of socialization.

Sending children to school early promotes strong learning and social skills.

At my previous job, there was this girl who fairly smart, but had any social skills. All she would do is cry. Never played. She was too attached to her mom. It is good to have children play with others their age. Although she was smart, it was hard to teach her new skills and concepts because she cried a day.

People really are not seeing how imperative early childhood is. This is probably why we are the lowest on the scale.

These skills are not acquired at the kindergarten level.

I remember this conversation I had with a 4th grade teacher. He told me that his group of students did not even know how to construct a game of kick ball without getting into a fight. He said that there should be more teachers like me at the Prek level that teach young children group skills.

That is why many PreK schedules have non instructed play or small groups so that children can learn how to approach social conflict at an early age.

It works too!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:43 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Mmm....

Yes they do. Skills such as sharing, conflict problem solving, building friendships, and building teacher correspondent all starts in school or a form of school. School is the first institution of socialization.

At my previous job, there was this girl who fairly smart, but had any social skills. All she would do is cry. Never played. She was too attached to her mom. It is good to have children play with others their age. Although she was smart, it was hard to teach her new skills and concepts because she cried a day.

People really are not seeing how imperative early childhood is. This is probably why we are the lowest on the scale.

I remember this conversation I had with a 4th grade teacher. He told me that his group of students did not even know how to construct a game of kick ball without getting into a fight. He said that there should be more teachers like me at the Prek level that teach young children group skills.

That is why many PreK schedules have non instructed play or small groups so that children can learn how to approach social conflict at an early age.

It works too!
My 3 year old grand-niece has 4 brothers and many young cousins. She's been learning about conflict resolution, sharing, problem solving and building relationships since the day she was old enough to grab one of her brothers' toys.

I would postulate that Pre-K and daycare is relatively new. I am 54, no one went to Pre-school or Day Care in my community in the 60's, I don't know if they even existed. I didn't go to school until I was almost 6 (March birthday) and had no problems socializing or problem solving or developing friendships, in fact I think I'm exceptionally good at all three of those skills. I also graduated Magna C um Laude from my University, despite not being able to write nor count to 50 at age 4.

I don't think the generation who went to daycare are better at any of those problem-solving, socialization and relationship-building skills, in fact I think a good argument can be made that these skills appear to be declining over the past decades as learning them has moved further away from home, family and community.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Mmm....

Family is the first institution of socialization, in the true meaning of the word. Siblings, cousins, neighbor children, and play dates provide plenty of opportunity for learning to get along with others.

Quote:
If what you describe is true the problems that child had were not related to whether she had previous schooling or not, it was something more and it can't be generalized to the greater population.

Quote:
We are lowest on what scale? If you are discussing academics, we are not the lowest, we are just no longer the highest. And just to point out an interesting thing, back when we were the highest, preschool was unheard of in most places and Kindergarten was quite rare.

Quote:
Yes, they can be and children of that age are within the normal developmental window for it.

Quote:
That is an issue he is capable of fixing, along with the previous four teachers. It is one of the standards in quite a few states' Physical Education curriculum. However, the personality of some people may make them incapable of grasping that concept, ever.

Quote:

It works too!
Well, that is lovely when that happens. For most children preschool doesn't hurt but it isn't necessary. It is simply a nice diversion. There are pockets of our population, however, where it can be very helpful depending on the program and the people who work there.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Family is the first institution of socialization, in the true meaning of the word. Siblings, cousins, neighbor children, and play dates provide plenty of opportunity for learning to get along with others.

If what you describe is true the problems that child had were not related to whether she had previous schooling or not, it was something more and it can't be generalized to the greater population.

We are lowest on what scale? If you are discussing academics, we are not the lowest, we are just no longer the highest. And just to point out an interesting thing, back when we were the highest, preschool was unheard of in most places and Kindergarten was quite rare.

Yes, they can be and children of that age are within the normal developmental window for it.

That is an issue he is capable of fixing, along with the previous four teachers. It is one of the standards in quite a few states' Physical Education curriculum. However, the personality of some people may make them incapable of grasping that concept, ever.

Well, that is lovely when that happens. For most children preschool doesn't hurt but it isn't necessary. It is simply a nice diversion. There are pockets of our population, however, where it can be very helpful depending on the program and the people who work there.
thanks for correcting! Yes family is the first form of socialization. I guess I am so for early learning that I forgot that family is the first form and school is one of the forms of socialization.

We are the lowest on the pay scale than any teacher. I do not get it beiing that children actually learn in daycare settings and many daycare workers are required to earn trainings and degrees.

That young girl was too shelter. She was being taught properly at home. However, she lacked all the socialization skills in the world. Many kindergarten teachers hate to experience that. I had a classroom of 22 4 and 5 year olds. Imagine if all of them had any sort of socialization skills. In kindergarten, teachers have over 22 5 and 6 year olds.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My 3 year old grand-niece has 4 brothers and many young cousins. She's been learning about conflict resolution, sharing, problem solving and building relationships since the day she was old enough to grab one of her brothers' toys.

I would postulate that Pre-K and daycare is relatively new. I am 54, no one went to Pre-school or Day Care in my community in the 60's, I don't know if they even existed. I didn't go to school until I was almost 6 (March birthday) and had no problems socializing or problem solving or developing friendships, in fact I think I'm exceptionally good at all three of those skills. I also graduated Magna C um Laude from my University, despite not being able to write nor count to 50 at age 4.

I don't think the generation who went to daycare are better at any of those problem-solving, socialization and relationship-building skills, in fact I think a good argument can be made that these skills appear to be declining over the past decades as learning them has moved further away from home, family and community.
Your grand niece has siblings. Imagine children that did not have siblings entering into school! I can tell when children enter PreK and they have older siblings because they tend to be more mature and knows much.

You don't remember because federally funded PreK or Headstart did not take place until the mid 60s for economically disadvantaged children. Many children that are from a lower socioeconomic background tend to lack the abilities needed for their age before kindergarten.

I never attended PreK either nor did I have trouble in grade school. That is because I can from a two parent home where my parents had nice paying jobs. My dad taught my sisters and I a lot of early learning concepts before school. I also had older siblings and cousins that I could play and socialize with.

Imagine children who does not have that support? That is why early childhood ed is important

Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I agree with you. From what I seen comparing children from when I first started teaching until now, the government takeover of the roles in a child's life that traditionally belonged to families generally results in poorer outcomes for the child. It was fine when they were aimed just at children at high-risk because of bad parenting but good parents have always done a better job than government institutions ever could. I'm a little alarmed at the march towards making preschool mandatory.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. From what I seen comparing children from when I first started teaching until now, the government takeover of the roles in a child's life that traditionally belonged to families generally results in poorer outcomes for the child. It was fine when they were aimed just at children at high-risk because of bad parenting but good parents have always done a better job than government institutions ever could. I'm a little alarmed at the march towards making preschool mandatory.
I think it should be mandatory but only at age 3 and beyond.

Infants and toddlers are able to learn as well, but I do not think it needs to be mandatory for infant and toddlers

Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
I think it should be mandatory but only at age 3 and beyond.

Infants and toddlers are able to learn as well, but I do not think it needs to be mandatory for infant and toddlers
I would never have sent my child to school at age 3! The state has no business telling me I have to send my 3 year old away to school. At 3 they are still toddlers. I stayed home with my child until he started kindergarten. At that point he went to an Abeka school. He started public in first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education