Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Well, we lived about 20 miles from my high school, which was rural, and my parents would not allow me to drive, so even in high school I had to ride the bus. My mom didn't work, but she didn't want anything to do with me having any extracurricular activities that required after school participation, so all that was out.

Yeah, I rode the school bus for three hours every day, to a substandard school out in the boonies. And the really crazy thing was that my parents had found this ten acres out in the country that they thought was fabulous. They never seemed to give ONE THOUGHT to the school system, which was odd since they had three school aged kids. It was always all about them.

If they'd bought land 1 mile further south, we would have fallen into a different school district where the school was literally 2 or 3 miles away. But no such luck. So we lived about four miles from good schools but rode the bus every day 20 miles to crap schools. Good times, good times.

Also, most of my friends from school lived much closer to the school. So there wasn't a lot of getting together with them till we were all driving. Even then, I lived so far out in the boonies that someone had to REALLY WANT to come get me - or date me - to make that drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,946,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Never really thought of it that way, to be honest.

My middle school and high school were not walking distance from where I lived, so walking was not an option.
I guess that means you disliked detention more than the bus -- a good choice.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Even school districts strapped for cash are installing cameras on busses.
When I was on our school board (about 20 years ago ) we couldn't afford many cameras so we had fake cameras in all the busses except two.

The real cameras would be rotated and the students couldn't tell if the real cameras were in or not.
There were definitely no cameras on the school buses when I was in school. I doubt that they have been added.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The major problem with the school bus is that the only adult on the bus has the primary job of driving the bus safely, not handling discipline.
True. The bus driver should not be held responsible, only to report. He can't be expected to discipline and drive a bus at the same time. That's a safety issue.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:23 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I guess that means you disliked detention more than the bus -- a good choice.
For the most part, I would sit in the front of the bus to avoid the bullies. That is why the theory that bullying toughens people up is wrong; if anything, it made me less tough. My problems would be mostly when there was a substitute bus driver, and a bully would either sit in the front with me, or when a bully who was sitting nowhere near me would falsely accuse me of fighting with him (even though I was nowhere near him), and the substitute bus driver would just naively write me up. Unfortunately, the assistant principal would listen to the bully.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
We just moved to a small suburban town and the daughter, now in 6th grade, takes the Middle + High school bus every day and loves it. It stops right on our corner 30 feet away at 7:10am. The kids are friendly and there appears to be no bullying among this group. I'm very pleased that this has worked out so well!

I'm grateful my parents drove me to school when I was growing up. There were a lot of bullies at that school -- it was as if there were no nice people there at all -- and a bus would have only made things more miserable for me.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:02 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
School bus was mostly unpleasant.

-Picking kids up at 7am or earlier when school starts at 8am (gotta wake up at 6am)
-Waiting out in the cold
-The loudness of all the kids talking and yelling
-Bullies
-General sneezing/coughing, stinky kids, annoying kids
-the after school process of waiting for the bus, loading the bus, and getting home can easily take an hour

It makes for what seemed like an extremely loooooong day as a kid...6am-4pm+. On the upside, my hatred of school/schedules/jobs/waking up early/traffic, etc is what motivated me to retire in my 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education