Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 6,721 times

Advertisements

Do you feel that schools are too lenient on student-athletes? I've heard of teachers passing them just so they could play football. What are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 05:27 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Yep where I went football players got greased through, had people write papers for them, etc...

I didn't mind because in reality a number of the nicer buildings and academic equipment we had was because of the football program, universities are like a business they need to generate revenue to succeed. A couple of fall weekends and the university gets a big check. Without that big check, how are they going to expand departments, build new buildings, etc... by raising tuition. So pick your poison some kids getting greased through academically or higher costs for all.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Of course there are easier classes. And they are nothing new,
Heck, even I (a non-athlete) took "Rocks for Jocks" (intro to Geology) back in the 70s... the semester I had organic chemistry and physics.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
At my kids' Catholic school we had a couple of kids on the basketball team (we didn't have football) who were on academic probation and missed a coupe of games til they got their grades up. That's according to my son; it's officially confidential but teammates talk to each other. I assume the same happens at other schools and in other sports.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Are we talking about public high schools? Now or "back in the day"?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My son was a student athlete. He got no special treatment. He did start college a bit behind because he was not able to take AP classes and focus on athletics at the same time. He will have to go to college for an extra semester as a result.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Maybe. In some situations athletics can help academics, both for the organization and the individual.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:16 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
Do you feel that schools are too lenient on student-athletes? I've heard of teachers passing them just so they could play football. What are your experiences?
Depends on the quality of the school and the level of the program.

The majority of student-athletes don't get the types of cheating you describe but if you get into mens basketball and football at the Div 1 level that's where the vast majority of it occurs.

Several major programs don't just give them boosted grades but have created entire curriculums with ghost classes they don't even have to attend.

There are lawsuits against at least one major basketball school right now for graduating a guy that read at a 4th grade level (among others).

Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It didn't happen where I was. Also nowhere I've taught. It does happen, but nowhere I've been.

All my siblings were sports standouts and did Div. I athletics, two of them scouted by pro teams prior to opting instead for college. None of them received special treatment, but none of them played cash cow sports, either.

In their respective colleges, D.1 men's basketball and football players got breaks, but those in lower profile, non-moneymaking sports did not. One of my siblings was in an honors program, and there were football players enrolled in his classes who were never required to even attend.

At the college level, whether you are participating in a sport that's revenue-generating or not can make a difference.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 01-20-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My son was a student athlete. He got no special treatment. He did start college a bit behind because he was not able to take AP classes and focus on athletics at the same time. He will have to go to college for an extra semester as a result.
Which sport?

In some instances I think some sports are given preference over others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education