Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It sounds like it all did work out.

I still disagree that one of the half-timers should have been fired to hire a full-timer if they were all permanent employees, which was your first suggestion.
I am just saying that I doubt you would see this happen in private sector unions.

In most union contracts in the "real world" positions can be eliminated at management's discretion.

As long as the employee was offered the new full time position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Let's think about that anecdote for a minute.

The very smart young man was left alone "practically around the clock" but wasn't capable of feeding himself?

Here's some anecdotes of mine:

In my very expensive school district in Bucks County PA, my kid had an IEP but the teachers' union blocked any disciplinary action against teachers who "didn't believe in IEPs" (direct quote from 10th grade math teacher) or refused to execute the IEP as agreed to.

So I had to remove him from 10th grade math and pay a private tutor at home.

I also had a 7th grade homeroom teacher STEAL my kid's gym bag with $800 of expensive equipment in it, deny all knowledge about it for months, and only after I threatened a police report - the PE teacher returned it stating "The homeroom teacher was trying to teach him a lesson because he left it in the homeroom closet since it wouldn't fit in his locker".

I prefer my anecdotes for factual logic. And I have alot more where those came from over 12 years of dealing with this nonsense.

Even down the the most SIMPLE laziness where my kid's 5th grade science "teacher" had pulley and levers to teach. So she assigned it as HOMEWORK for the PARENTS (obviously) to create a pulley and lever system. Not a SINGLE ONE was shown in the classroom. Do ya think I had ANY IDEA how to do that? Let alone a 5th grader? NO, all the dads did it.

Or 3rd grade cursive where the teacher refused to accept my kid's IEP of "developmental lag in fine motor" and kept insisting he meet "the level" of 3rd grade cursive. I fixed THAT one by throwing the book in the trash.

The very same year I got a report card with all nonsense disciplinary action listed FOR THE WRONG KID. She didn't even know my kid's name and had him mixed up with someone else.

Oh, then we had 1st grade ART grade of "fail" for "aesthetic ability". WHAT? (and this is a kid who LOVED art and ended up being a graphic artist even though he couldn't draw more than a stick figure)

All my kid got from school was harassment and unfair pressure, IMO. This is a kid who LOVED when school started all excited reading his new books and ended up hating the year.

You better believe I would have used my TAXPAYER DOLLARS to voucher him into a more LEGAL and accommodating school.
I am sure the young man could have fed himself. He did not do so - speculation is that he was starved for attention. He did eat, just not always and he also slept badly.

It sounds like you had some very bad schools and teachers, but I wonder if you would have found any private school that would have worked for you.

IME, private schools are not very accommodating for special needs unless they are specifically founded for special needs. That, unfortunately costs a lot of money. As I said before the cheapest autism schools here start at $25,000 a year and even if we had a voucher, it would cover only about 1/5 or less of that.

We have not had the experience you had in our local public schools though. All of them have been very supportive of the IEPs (he's not in high school yet though). Our public school in elementary had a hands on science program with labs that the teachers did with the kids. I helped out with some of those.

5th and 6th grade here are middle school and that has been a different story.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:11 AM

168 posts, read 150,998 times
It's amusing to see the left wing oompa loompas on this thread claiming the problem with public education in this country is lack of funding. That's their answer to everything......more money. Doesn't matter what the issue is, the answer is always more money! To the magical money tree now!

Maybe if public schools actually focused on academics rather than teaching kids about white privilege, transgender bathrooms and gender identity and how unjust American society is then we'd actually have decent schools but seeing as liberal oompa loompas currently control the schools I won't be holding out hope any time soon unless Devos can get sh1t done. Getting rid of the DOE would be a great start. More parents need to be getting involved at the local level to ensure that their kids are being educated rather than indoctrinated. Liberal oompa loompas love to berate Christians yet they have no compunction about subjecting other people's kids to their religion, political correctness, in public schools.

Last edited by DDMP77; 02-17-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
In regards to the first part, I think the "voucherization" of any Federal funding is unlikely to occur given the renewal of the ESSA.

I don't know about the grant incentives. People on both sides of the aisle, particularly fiscal conservative, are still pretty raw about the methods by which Obama was able to convince states to take on Federal education policies.

In regards to the K-12 education tax credit, that's probably one of the more likely policies to be implemented considering similar credits are already in place for postsecondary education.
There is already a bill in the House to turn all federal K - 12 funds into vouchers. I don't know how far it will get but it exists. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...house-bill/610

Old 02-17-2017, 03:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I am just saying that I doubt you would see this happen in private sector unions.

In most union contracts in the "real world" positions can be eliminated at management's discretion.

As long as the employee was offered the new full time position.
I have never seen that happen in nursing, anywhere I was employed.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Remove the children whose parents "won't feed them "
Remove them to where? I already said that the social services agencies are so overwhelmed that they can only deal with the most severe cases of neglect and abuse. Whom would you have take them? And who would pay for their removal? The taxpayers, I'm sure. Wouldn't it be less costly, in the long run, to feed them at school rather than to pay (largely unavailable) foster parents to feed them? That would just lead to a bigger bureaucracy than we have now.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am sure the young man could have fed himself. He did not do so - speculation is that he was starved for attention. He did eat, just not always and he also slept badly.

It sounds like you had some very bad schools and teachers, but I wonder if you would have found any private school that would have worked for you.

IME, private schools are not very accommodating for special needs unless they are specifically founded for special needs. That, unfortunately costs a lot of money. As I said before the cheapest autism schools here start at $25,000 a year and even if we had a voucher, it would cover only about 1/5 or less of that.

We have not had the experience you had in our local public schools though. All of them have been very supportive of the IEPs (he's not in high school yet though). Our public school in elementary had a hands on science program with labs that the teachers did with the kids. I helped out with some of those.

5th and 6th grade here are middle school and that has been a different story.
I agree. I think the situations described were highly unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
It's amusing to see the left wing oompa loompas on this thread claiming the problem with public education in this country is lack of funding. That's their answer to everything......more money. Doesn't matter what the issue is, the answer is always more money! To the magical money tree now!

Maybe if public schools actually focused on academics rather than teaching kids about white privilege, transgender bathrooms and gender identity and how unjust American society is then we'd actually have decent schools but seeing as liberal oompa loompas currently control the schools I won't be holding out hope any time soon unless Devos can get sh1t done. Getting rid of the DOE would be a great start. More parents need to be getting involved at the local level to ensure that their kids are being educated rather than indoctrinated. Liberal oompa loompas love to berate Christians yet they have no compunction about subjecting other people's kids to their religion, political correctness, in public schools.
I didn't notice anyone on this thread claiming the problem with public education in this country is lack of funding. Public schools are not focused on "teaching kids about white privilege, transgender bathrooms and gender identity and how unjust American society is." In fact they don't do it all. Transgender bathrooms and gender identity are societal issues that public schools are legally forced to accommodate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I have never seen that happen in nursing, anywhere I was employed.
The OP's post described a situation where they had three elementary teachers who were half-time. First of all, I don't understand how you could have regular classroom elementary teachers who are half-time. I could see if it was an art, music, physical education, etc. teacher. But they decided to hire a full-time position. This is a very different situation from hospital nursing where casual and part-time nurses benefit the hospital where they need coverage 24/7 and holiday coverage. Many hospitals actually prefer to have more part-time and flex nursing staff.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:17 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post

"oompa loompas" ? REALLY....

Is THAT how you regard people who believe that a good, publicly funded education should be available to ALL US students - regardless of where they live and what their parents do for a living?

You think this is some kind of "Left Wing" idea? I think it's a very AMERICAN idea.

We don't need vouchers, private schools, charter schools. Waldorf Schools, Yeshivas. Montessori schools or Parochial or Christian schools. Except for charter schools, the others have been available - and should be - as an alternative for people who want an alternative to public schools.

Our country like all industrialized nations, has the responsibility to provide an education to all children and young adults that is good - regardless of economic status.

As a Junior High School Student I spent one year at Long Island Lutheran HS.https://www.longislandlutheran.org/page# It was a good education, and while my parents encouraged me to attend, I missed my public school friends and disliked the bus ride.

However, LIL, is an excellent preparatory school serving students of all faiths. Not many of the schools are of this caliber - certainly NONE of the Charter Schools.

A decent public education is a RIGHT that should be granted to all Americans. And as Americans, we should all be willing to "chip in" to support those schools - to better our country, and our society.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"oompa loompas" ? REALLY....

Is THAT how you regard people who believe that a good, publicly funded education should be available to ALL US students - regardless of where they live and what their parents do for a living?

You think this is some kind of "Left Wing" idea? I think it's a very AMERICAN idea.

We don't need vouchers, private schools, charter schools. Waldorf Schools, Yeshivas. Montessori schools or Parochial or Christian schools. Except for charter schools, the others have been available - and should be - as an alternative for people who want an alternative to public schools.

Our country like all industrialized nations, has the responsibility to provide an education to all children and young adults that is good - regardless of economic status.

As a Junior High School Student I spent one year at Long Island Lutheran HS.https://www.longislandlutheran.org/page# It was a good education, and while my parents encouraged me to attend, I missed my public school friends and disliked the bus ride.

However, LIL, is an excellent preparatory school serving students of all faiths. Not many of the schools are of this caliber - certainly NONE of the Charter Schools.

A decent public education is a RIGHT that should be granted to all Americans. And as Americans, we should all be willing to "chip in" to support those schools - to better our country, and our society.
I suspect the "left wing" part is not about schools as such but because pretty much any conservative "right wing" value is thrown out or changed to be a politically correct one. Anyone who disagrees with what is taught in schools is treated as an ignorant, racist, Bible-thumper without any regard to what they actually say. It's a way of dismissing the argument by dismissing the person. And honestly many people are fed up with being ignored and dismissed by the left.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is why we should concentrate on education and not worry about public so much.

In retrospect it almost looks as though early grade school was designed to kill curiosity and make kids more concerned about pleasing teachers than finding and learning interesting stuff.

I wish someone could have given me things like this in 7th grade.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rycircuit.free

How can we fix all of these schools with all of these bureaucracies? I do not doubt that the tech companies are designing whatever they think the "educators" will buy rather than what might do the kids the most good. Who designs the tests that supposedly evaluate performance? So if the tests are stupid...

psik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education