Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:19 AM

50,942 posts, read 24,441,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We're actually doing fairly well for a country in which about 1/4 of our students are growing up in poverty. What we aren't doing well at is making sure we don't have 1/4 of our students growing up in poverty.
I agree.

And when the other poster mentions "best" schools being in some other country, the question comes to mind -- which of those countries would he want us to copy? Instead, my guess is that his point is just a tool to demean our educational program.

For example, if you go by science and math, Singapore, South Korea, and Japan are at the top. Do we want our school system to be like the one in Singapore or South Korea or Japan? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 12:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,414,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
We're actually doing fairly well for a country in which about 1/4 of our students are growing up in poverty. What we aren't doing well at is making sure we don't have 1/4 of our students growing up in poverty.
Our concept of Poverty is based on Cash Flow. How much income would people need if they did not have to pay rent or mortgages?

Considering how low the population density is in the United States why isn't housing dirt cheap? When have educators or economists suggested that accounting be mandatory in our schools? We just produce brainwashed worker/consumers that are supposed to be grateful for jobs. Of course economists would look rather silly if they started suggesting mandatory accounting now.

Economic Wargames: How the economic model is unsustainable and enslaving.

psik

Old 02-19-2017, 12:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You better believe I would have used my TAXPAYER DOLLARS to voucher him into a more LEGAL and accommodating school.
What is a more legal school? Something is either legal or illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Our concept of Poverty is based on Cash Flow. How much income would people need if they did not have to pay rent or mortgages?

Considering how low the population density is in the United States why isn't housing dirt cheap? When have educators or economists suggested that accounting be mandatory in our schools? We just produce brainwashed worker/consumers that are supposed to be grateful for jobs. Of course economists would look rather silly if they started suggesting mandatory accounting now.

Economic Wargames: How the economic model is unsustainable and enslaving.

psik
I have an accounting degree. We never studied poverty in any of my accounting courses. We were too busy studying debits and credits, accruals, adjusting entries, income statements, balance sheets, retained earnings, etc.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
Btw which country has the best schools. I'll give you a hint. It's not us. We're not even close. But by all means let's keep doing what we're doing.
You seem incapable of answering a question. You know that is intellectually dishonest right.

Now because this "leftist scum" has some academic integrity I will answer your question. You are correct it is typically Singapore at the top of the list. Do you know that Singapore spends nearly 20% of its entire federal budget on education?
Singapore Budget 2017

And the entire education system is run by their federal government, no local control, with a cohesive unified curriculum and heavy test based tracking. If you want to move towards a system like that let's go for it! Maybe you should incorporate that into your BOE campaign?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:49 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,167 times
So now that Michelle is gone what will happen to all the healthy food requirements for school cafeterias??

Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,414,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have an accounting degree. We never studied poverty in any of my accounting courses. We were too busy studying debits and credits, accruals, adjusting entries, income statements, balance sheets, retained earnings, etc.
Yeah, debits and credits are addition and subtraction. That is so hard. It is funny that they give degrees in accounting.

It is so interesting that our economists do not do the accounting on the depreciation of all of the cars in the country. $300,000,000,000 per year is probably is not worth keeping track of.

The question is how much poverty would there be if accounting had been mandatory since 1960. I guess the other question is how much demand would there be for people with degrees in accounting if it had been mandatory in the schools?

I actually had someone who claimed to be an accountant who said he would not mind as long as it was not done for 6 years which would be after he retired.

psik

Old 02-19-2017, 01:57 PM

50,942 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You seem incapable of answering a question. You know that is intellectually dishonest right.

Now because this "leftist scum" has some academic integrity I will answer your question. You are correct it is typically Singapore at the top of the list. Do you know that Singapore spends nearly 20% of its entire federal budget on education?
Singapore Budget 2017

And the entire education system is run by their federal government, no local control, with a cohesive unified curriculum and heavy test based tracking. If you want to move towards a system like that let's go for it! Maybe you should incorporate that into your BOE campaign?
I'm really thankful that you posted this. There's a certain segment of our population that likes to put down our schools because of test data. And that's fair game. But they also have as a motive being cheap. They almost always follow up with a comment such as, "Throwing money at the schools won't solve the problems." Well, "throwing" money at schools won't solve the problems, but spending more money in schools WISELY will solve some problems. When our parents wanted more security at school entrances (particularly because we had TRAILERS for about a dozen classrooms) I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted to have an addition to school plant to do away with trailer-classrooms, I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted smaller classes, I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted school lunches that were edible and nutritious, I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted to add a Latin class to our curriculum, I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted a safer parking lot due to 22 buses and parent cars, I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted state of the art education equipment put in our school, including white boards and up-to-date computers, etc., I had to say no...there's no money available. When our parents wanted student desks and library tables that weren't bought back in the 1960s (!), I often had to say no...there's no money available. Often when our teachers or parents wanted a particular field trip, I had to say no...there's no money available. At one time, the voters rejected putting air conditioning in our system's schools, even though we were located in Virginia...and even while many, perhaps most, of them worked in air conditioned offices. I could go on and on.

And here's what really bugged me. As a result of a traffic accident, I was once sued and had to go to court (I won, btw). I walked in the court house and found terrazzo floors, mahogany paneling and railings throughout, modern lighting, nice carpeting, a modern cafeteria, padded chairs in the courtroom, luxurious bathrooms, paintings throughout for decor, beautiful plants...and all this for the CRIMINAL justice system. When court was over I went back to my school and the usual vinyl tile, cinder block walls, wrought iron railings, florescent light fixtures from the 1960s, no carpeting, a cafeteria that served food that adults would never put up with even at McDonalds, plastic chairs, dismal bathrooms, cork bulletin boards...and all this for the people we say we care most about in our society -- our children.

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years and traveled extensively in Malaysia, Singapore, and a bit in Indonesia. And yes, they had national education programs. They had national policies for education.

America LOVES it children more than anything. No. I don't think so.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:13 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,283,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
There is already a bill in the House to turn all federal K - 12 funds into vouchers. I don't know how far it will get but it exists. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...house-bill/610
A brief search indicates that many homeschool families are against the proposal because Federal funding opens the door to Federal regulations. They are right to be wary of that because even though they have friends running the DOE now, in just a few short years that could mean subjecting themselves to the mandates of Democratic policymakers. Besides, it's worth noting that this was attempted with the ESSA negotiations and it was shot down.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
So now that Michelle is gone what will happen to all the healthy food requirements for school cafeterias??
These would probably be gutted:

Forbes Welcome

Quote:
If the bill becomes law, says Wootan:

School meal regulations would have to be reviewed every three years, in conjunction with school administrators not health experts. Sodium standards would be rolled back (and the bill would limit what kind of science USDA could look at and delay any further reductions in sodium by at least 3 years, probably more). The bill would bring back a lot of junk food that has been removed from schools. The Smart Snacks standards couldn't apply to fundraisers and wouldn't apply to any food ever sold as a part of a meal, allowing many junk foods back into schools.
House bill would scale back number of free school meals | PBS NewsHour

Quote:
Legislation debated by the House Education and Workforce Committee aims to save money by scaling back the number of schools in which all students receive free or reduced meals. It would also help schools that say the Obama administration’s healthier meal rules are too restrictive and not appealing enough to students.
Quote:
A proposed Republican amendment to the bill would go even further, allowing a trial period of so-called block grants for school meals in three states. That would mean those states wouldn’t receive unlimited federal dollars for students who qualify for the free and reduced-price lunches.
Admittedly, kids do often throw away some of the healthiest choices. We need to educate them about eating nutritious foods and make sure those foods appeal to them.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Yeah, debits and credits are addition and subtraction. That is so hard. It is funny that they give degrees in accounting.

It is so interesting that our economists do not do the accounting on the depreciation of all of the cars in the country. $300,000,000,000 per year is probably is not worth keeping track of.

The question is how much poverty would there be if accounting had been mandatory since 1960. I guess the other question is how much demand would there be for people with degrees in accounting if it had been mandatory in the schools?

I actually had someone who claimed to be an accountant who said he would not mind as long as it was not done for 6 years which would be after he retired.

psik
The answer to your question is the same amount as we have now. There is no correlation be students studying accounting in school and poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education