Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'd be checking the validity of a blog called "LawNewz by Dan Abrams."
Well, did you? Or were you just casting aspersions so as to deflect concern away from the issue? (Reverse discrimination in the LA school district)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'd be checking the validity of a blog called "LawNewz by Dan Abrams."

Well, what did your research indicate?

Dan Abrams is a well known cable news commentator specializing in legal matters. He has never been associated with Fox News that I know of.

Please don't go around insinuating that something is fake just because you never heard of it. That's just as bad as fake news itself. Don't be part of the problem.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

I'd also want to know if this is a zoned school in a gentrifying neighborhood. If the area is attracting more white (and presumably more affluent) residents, the powers that be in LA could have been thinking that parental resources could make up for what the school loses, and let the district use the extra money at another, needier school. That also can be seen as equity on a citywide basis.

I think that in 2017 that's quite a presumption. And I think it's racist. If I was black or Latino it would add insult to injury for all these new white people moving in to start be expected to donate money and take over the school (yes, when you pay for something you act like you own it).

Quote:
But I don't know enough about the LA schools to say if any or all of that is true. I just don't think it's as simple as something tied to anti-white bias. Something else is going on I'd wager.

I don't either, but I don't think it's anti-white bias. I think it's anti-black/brown bias in the form of paternalism, with the explicit expectation that white people can and will pay for something that black and brown people can't or won't, based only on skin color. They should do a study on the economic situation of the students' families, not just look at the ethnicity boxes they check off.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Of course this happens !

You get extra state funding for many things.

Our Supt said we were losing out on extra revenue we could receive if more parents would only sign up for free or reduced lunches.
(your school district receives extra money not only for the lunches, but for having poor kids in the classroom)

The Supt stated he knew many parents were eligible, but pride prevented them from signing up. They then sent letters stating parents should fill out the paperwork so the school got extra funding, then still pay for the meals if ones pride got in the way.

I knew I was eligible ( 4 kids, heavy debtload on farm ) but I felt I could still afford to feed my kids w/o the govt's help.

Being a small district where everybody knew each other, I refused to fill out the application as my financial situation was none of the schools business.

I was on the school board at the time and many parents felt like me and refused to fill out the applications.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
School Lost Funding Because It Had Too Many White Kids | Law News

What?? What do they expect them to do, go kidnap minority kids and force them into school?? And to punish the kids for it which ironically not just hurts white kids but the other minority kids in the school.
It looks like this was funding for integration. Apparently, the extra funds were for placing teachers in hard to staff schools which had more resident minorities. So we are talking about schools that were in minority neighborhoods. Once the white population moves in, the school no longer has a 70% minority enrollment. This seems to be what happened to this school. The original program started in 1978 under a federal court order to desegregate the schools.

Student Integration Services / PHBAO Program

Quote:
PHBAO Program

PHBAO is an acronym for Predominantly Hispanic, Black, Asian, or other Non-Anglo. A school is categorized as PHBAO based on its resident student population. The resident student population is calculated by excluding all traveling, permit, open enrollment, and special education students from the norm day enrollment count. Schools with a PHBAO resident only population greater than 70% are categorized as PHBAO schools.
It may be that the program has outlived its usefulness if more neighborhoods in LAUSD are gentrifying. I don't know the statistics.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It looks like this was funding for integration. Apparently, the extra funds were for placing teachers in hard to staff schools which had more resident minorities.

I don't get it. Now who ponies up the "combat pay" for the teachers who were lured to the formerly minority neighborhood? Or do the teachers lose their bonuses now that the schools are full of compliant middle class kids?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I don't get it. Now who ponies up the "combat pay" for the teachers who were lured to the formerly minority neighborhood? Or do the teachers lose their bonuses now that the schools are full of compliant middle class kids?
They are eliminating teachers and raising the class size. The teachers who were lured there were probably lured in some time ago, now, they will have a reduction in force (rif) and some teachers will lose their jobs in this school and have to move to another school. Who knows if the other school will be on this program or not. It depends on the neighborhood population.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Typical of the paternalistic attitude. Black kids need "extra funding" and white kids don't, and no further information is needed. It's crazy.
From way out in Shawnee on the Delaware you don't even have any idea of what you're talking about do you. Most of the non-white kids in LA schools tend to be hispanic

That school is one of like 5 good middle schools in of LAUSD in an expensive neighborhood. More than likely what has happened is Hispanic/Latino families from the adjacent lower income neighborhoods like North Hollywood are moving voluntarily, or facing possible deportation issues, and they no longer have use for many of the "ESL" classes.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
From way out in Shawnee on the Delaware you don't even have any idea of what you're talking about do you. Most of the non-white kids in LA schools tend to be hispanic

That school is one of like 5 good middle schools in of LAUSD in an expensive neighborhood. More than likely what has happened is Hispanic/Latino families from the adjacent lower income neighborhoods like North Hollywood are moving voluntarily, or facing possible deportation issues, and they no longer have use for many of the "ESL" classes.
No matter where you look at it from, the LAUSD's "PHBAO status" doesn't make a distinction between black and Hispanic. Only between white and non-white.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
They are eliminating teachers and raising the class size. The teachers who were lured there were probably lured in some time ago, now, they will have a reduction in force (rif) and some teachers will lose their jobs in this school and have to move to another school. Who knows if the other school will be on this program or not. It depends on the neighborhood population.

I see. And from what another poster defensively asserts, a lot of Hispanic students are getting deported or their families are moving back to Mexico so the need for ESL teachers is decreasing, at least at that one school. That actually makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education