Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:28 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I did a very bad job on part of my final and I lost 20 points on something very easy that I forgot to do.
So it dropped my grade to a 68.41%. I have a part 2 final in the same class on Wednesday. A written exam that has 50 questions that is 10% of our grade.

What grade do I need to get a 70% in the class! I definitely learned my lesson this semester! Never take 4 classes when you have TWO part time jobs. In this class I used have an A! smh
I hope this isn't a math related class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:56 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've done this semester after semester for my kids, so here goes:

It's likely you actually need 69.5 instead of 70. If that's the case, you need a test grade of 79.3.

If you actually do need a 70 (that is, professors enter letter grades rather than number grades into the computer), you'll need 84.3.

Here's the math:

For a 69.5:

your current average - 68.41 X .9 = 61.57. So you'll need 7.93 more points to bring your average up to 69.5. A test grade of 79.3 would give you the final 10% (7.93) you need to earn a 69.5.

If you actually need at 70 average, you'll need an 84.3 on the last test that comprises 10% of your grade.

But yes, go in and talk to your professor and explain that you blew the 20% question. If you've had regular attendance and have put in effort, it's likely you'll get some mercy.
How did you determine the highlighted part above?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See your professor during his office hours.
A professor that does grade calculations for a student (prior to submitting final grades at the end of the semester) is a chump.

If the grading scheme is explained in the syllabus, and the student knows the scores of all of their assignments, a grade calculation like this is a trivial exercise, and the necessary math was learned in middle school. Students, especially college students, need to be doing this on their own.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:49 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It's an assumption that the score will be rounded to the nearest whole number, or that the instructor will be merciful.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
It's an assumption that the score will be rounded to the nearest whole number, or that the instructor will be merciful.
Why would there be that assumption? Rounding a 69.5 to 70 just because is as ridiculous as rounding from a 70 to a 69.5, just because.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Based on having that experience with one of my kids. The system of turning in student grades required the teacher to enter the numerical grades and the "weight" of each assignment, and the computer does the rest. The teacher doesn't enter the final grade - the computer calculates and if the final average is 69.5, the computer rounds it up to 70. Not the best way to pass algebra, but a 69. 5 in that situation was passing.

In some cases I think the teacher does all the calculating and then only turns in the final letter or number grade, which in my opinion is how it should be. If a student was conscientious, and appeared to have mastered the content but had a horrible final grade due to messing up on a question, it seems the professor should have some ability to over ride the numerical grading system.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Based on having that experience with one of my kids. The system of turning in student grades required the teacher to enter the numerical grades and the "weight" of each assignment, and the computer does the rest. The teacher doesn't enter the final grade - the computer calculates and if the final average is 69.5, the computer rounds it up to 70. Not the best way to pass algebra, but a 69. 5 in that situation was passing.

In some cases I think the teacher does all the calculating and then only turns in the final letter or number grade, which in my opinion is how it should be. If a student was conscientious, and appeared to have mastered the content but had a horrible final grade due to messing up on a question, it seems the professor should have some ability to over ride the numerical grading system.
In my 22 years of teaching, that's how it's always been done. I can't imagine a computer system that automatically rounds up. It might work in an elementary or secondary school, but in a university, professors wouldn't stand for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education