Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:10 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I know some people won't let their kids continue education after age 14. The reason told to me is because "they need to work and make money".

They are paid well, nice homes, VERY nice cars, and take most weekends off.

Why would a parent want to limit education for their kids? Control?
That's pretty unusual I think. Are these parents Amish?

ETA: I see that in a later post you said German Mennonites. Ok, but it is bizarre that they would have such fancy material goods. I thought most of these believed in an essentially 18th-century lifestyle, not what you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 AM

923 posts, read 525,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

ETA: I see that in a later post you said German Mennonites. Ok, but it is bizarre that they would have such fancy material goods. I thought most of these believed in an essentially 18th-century lifestyle, not what you describe.
They are "Mennonites", but their religion is very similar to Catholic. They come from Canada or Mexico, but speak German. Yes, I know...your wondering how/why/what? lol

I've found that money is their "driving force". It's always about money.

I've had a few work for me, always the same. Money is more important than education. The "3 R's" are very lacking, but they can fix a weedeater with no problem.

As far as material things, cars/tvs/phones/etc are top notch(much MUCH nicer than many). But clothes, not important. Hygiene is very sub-par. Many times the man works less than the wife and kids.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:02 AM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Amish will not have cars, Mennonites might but nothing flashy. Some have loosened up with cell phones and/or computers if they're used for work or business. Same now with power tools.

There's an Amish Market in Annapolis. When it first opened the vendors kept their money in cigar boxes. The state made them get cash registers.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
school is a building... not an education

most likely home schooled, since legally parents can't withhold educating their kids
We all know that home-schooling has lots of checks in place to ensure the quality of the education.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:07 PM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
The k-12 public education system in America is incredibly inefficient. Unless we are talking about high school students taking a full load of AP classes, a full school year could easily be condensed down to 2-4 months, freeing up the kids for other things like work and community service. Which would probably benefit students more than what is essentially daycare for teenagers.

I do agree that once a student reaches high school they should have the option to pursue a more academic track with the goal of entering into the university system, or a skilled trade track. At least half of American students simply do not have the aptitude to become successful college graduates and so learning a skilled trade would benefit them and society much more.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:14 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Quote:
It's generally a group, know'n as German Mennonites. There is more than one family that does this.
Probably home schooled, but after age 16 for sure they most likely aren't.

I'm in my mid 40's in western KS. I believe that it was 95 or 98% of this years graduating class went on to college or the military.

They are legal citizens and they are mostly all really great people. I just wish their kids could continue education so as not to be a farm hand or house cleaner. Work more with their brain than their backs.
Could they be Hutterites?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Could they be Hutterites?
No, not hutterites.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
No, not hutterites.
They're not Amish or Mennonite either if they have fancy houses and cars.

The only caveat might be that they were raised as such and left, which they can do although it's relatively rare.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They're not Amish or Mennonite either if they have fancy houses and cars.

The only caveat might be that they were raised as such and left, which they can do although it's relatively rare.
They are German Mennonites. Their church is similar to Catholic. They are from Germany, migrate to Canada, then to Mexico, then the USA.

I suppose they can call themselves what they want, all I know is that is the story they tell me. lol

The whole thought process is what I don't understand, concerning education. I do know that the money the kids make(until they get married) they keep 10% and the parents get 90%. Reason, "Thats how it's always been done.".

I can understand everything if this was early 1900's. But 2017? HS through internet, college through internet. Why stop at middle school?

maybe I'm just ranting. I just hate to see kids' future limited.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
They are German Mennonites. Their church is similar to Catholic. They are from Germany, migrate to Canada, then to Mexico, then the USA.

I suppose they can call themselves what they want, all I know is that is the story they tell me. lol

The whole thought process is what I don't understand, concerning education. I do know that the money the kids make(until they get married) they keep 10% and the parents get 90%. Reason, "Thats how it's always been done.".

I can understand everything if this was early 1900's. But 2017? HS through internet, college through internet. Why stop at middle school?

maybe I'm just ranting. I just hate to see kids' future limited.
But is it really " limited"? The Amish/Mennonites are a complete different culture. The futures aren't limited because those futures play absolutely no role in the culture.

You're in Kansas, yes? Those of us who grew up around the Amish back East understand, or at least accept, their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education