Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:14 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, and let's not even get into She feels badly. (She feels bad.) And I have heard more than one educator say the former.
actually, if she had neuropathy, she would feel badly. nyuck nyuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 01:56 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,321,253 times
Quote:
Yes, and let's not even get into She feels badly. (She feels bad.) And I have heard more than one educator say the former.
She feels badly is correct, not she feels bad, because badly (adverb) describes the verb how she feels.

Adjectives describe nouns. Adverbs describe verbs.

If you say She feels bad, bad is an adjective. It does not describe how She is. She is not a bad person. She feels badly because she propbably made/makes a mistake on something.

I heard lots of people said "Drive safe", but actually the correct phrase is "Drive safely".

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 10-15-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 02:03 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I do appreciate your views...Can you kindly transcribe this another way? Not sure I am getting the true context of your message here.
Okay... Let's see...

In an educational setting I don't think there is anything wrong with holding students to high grammatical standards, even in normal speech. In a way it can be viewed a bit like immersive language classes. I do think though that you should casually tell students on the first day what the expectations are and why those expectations are in place. I also think that this can make building rapport with students more difficult if you are constantly nitpicking their speech when they are merely trying to ask simple questions. Balance would be key.

I also think that there are probably academic situations where it would be better to use the local dialect. Mathematical concepts, for example, are difficult enough to learn without having to exert extra mental focus towards speaking in a foreign way.

Lastly I find that "grammar nazis" often come across as classist or even racist. Standardized English has it's place but it is hardly a universal law. Our standardized English is very different from the rules across the pond in the UK, our biggest universities and writers organizations can not agree on comma usage, the standardized language changes through time, and great literature often ignores rules or uses the common language. At some point we must realize that grammar can not just be prescriptive but must also have a descriptive element as the language changes and evolves.

Regional and ethnic variations of English have value. They are expressive in ways that standard English simply is not. Does that mean we abandon standardization? No. But is it okay to shout down anyone who sounds young, poor, black, southern, rural, or old fashioned? Of course not, because if you do you are shutting out diverse perspectives and ways of thinking.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:09 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
She feels badly is correct, not she feels bad, because badly (adverb) describes the verb how she feels.

If you say She feels bad. Bad is an adjective. It does not describe how She is. She is not a bad person. She feels badly because she propbably made/makes a mistake on something.

I heard lots of people said "Drive safe", but actually the correct phrase is "Drive safely".
You are correct about "Drive safely," but incorrect about "She feels badly."

"To feel" has two meanings. You can feel something with your hands (action), or you can have emotional feelings (state of being). Action verbs need adverbs; state of being verbs need adjectives. With a state of being verb, you are not describing the verb, you are describing the subject.

If you feel badly, you are not good at using your hands or other body parts to feel objects.

If you feel bad, you are in a state of being unwell.

Other verbs that can express a "state of being" are look, seem, appear, taste etc.

You look good. = You are in a state of appearing attractive. (But "You write well," which describes how you perform an action.)

The building seems impressive. = I think the building is in a state of being impressive. ("Seems impressively" is obviously wrong.)

It tastes sweet. = It is in a state of being sweet. (Notice that no one ever says "It tastes sweetly," which would mean that "It" is tasting something in a sweet manner.)

Old 10-15-2017, 03:42 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,321,253 times
Saibot, I agree you are right.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

If you say She feels bad, bad is an adjective. It does not describe how She is. She is not a bad person. She feels badly because she propbably made/makes a mistake on something.

Merriam-Webster disagrees with you.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-or-feel-badly

The point is not a gotcha btw, it is just to point out that even educated adults make mistakes.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
And where exactly do people speak proper english in your estimation?
Any city and any place in an English speaking country for the PEOPLE WHO ARE INTELLIGENT AND CARE to preserve the English language. That's where.

It is truly pitiful when members from other countries learn and speak (as a second language) better English than predominantly English speaking countries.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
On the changeable sign outside our local elementary school:
"Strive for less than 5 absenses."

FEWER, and ABSENCES!
i find it weird when humans say things like "pierre and myself will lead the presentation". maybe they think it makes them sound smarter.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
A century of research shows that traditional grammar lessons -- those hours spent diagramming sentences and memorizing parts of speech -- don’t help and may even hinder students’ efforts to become better writers. Yes, they need to learn grammar, but the old-fashioned way does not work.

The Wrong Way to Teach Grammar
Well I certainly disagree with what you wrote (highlighted above)

IMO, WHATEVER they are teaching today sure as heck isn't working. Is it? Grammar, spelling and proper English are worse now than they have ever been.

I've seen beautiful web pages with wonderful stories, recipes, poems, etc. and IMO, the poor spelling and improper grammar just ruins them. I just shake my head at the incompetence or carelessness of the author/web page designer.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:16 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Is modeling proper grammar less important than just communicating even for educators?

I have talked to a number of different educators, and have noticed that quite a few of them seem to commonly use incorrect grammar in their speech patterns. What seems more irksome it that they often code switch depending on the audience. I'm a visible minority, but I guess to those people that speak English well it should be obvious of my proficiency. So, a while back I commented toward my kids that I noticed some school administrators and teachers switching from speaking "standard" English with me to speaking "hillbilly" English to some of the parents. Additionally, there is a noticeable presence of foreign-born Asians in this area, and I see that many of the educators will switch to a simplified English with incorrect grammar when speaking to them (e.g. using adjectives instead of adverbs, etc.).

If so many educators are focused on the now, and just getting the point across, how are students supposed to learn? I would prefer the teachers actually teach and model proper English, especially when they know it.
Instead, I don't get surprised when I hear something like, the teacher was lecturing us on "text messaging etiquette", but she is unable to properly define a pronoun. Call me a bad parent, but I would prefer to focus on helping my kids with difficult skills, instead of fixing simple errors that constantly get repeated and reinforced.
people is incorrect vernacular; in formal writing, persons is correct usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education