Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
not everybody want to be doctors and lawyers
You seem to have reading comprehension problems.

I did not say everyone wants to be doctors or lawyers.

I said there are far more professions that require a degree than just doctors or lawyers. Did you really not understand that?

Anyway, if you are not interested in a career that requires a degree, or interested in a formal or classical education than don’t go to college. Easy.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
So glad I am a Carpenter.I turn down work every week.No debt and no kissing a$$.Done for the year I don't work winters anymore.Screw the rat race.Do what your good at not something you were told is filled with promises of great pay that you hate.Today is My day and I love it.Wish you were here.
We have a carpentry trades program in my district. It and the majority of it’s graduates are doing well. It is a meaningful worthwhile career that many people take great pride in. Nothing wrong with that.

I went to college for a field I love as well. A degree, really several, are necessary and I love what I do every day. I wish everyone finds a job they love as much as we do ours.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
So glad I am a Carpenter.I turn down work every week.No debt and no kissing a$$.Done for the year I don't work winters anymore.Screw the rat race.Do what your good at not something you were told is filled with promises of great pay that you hate.Today is My day and I love it.Wish you were here.
and sorry even that is not as easy as it sounds.

My brother is an electrician, yes he is his own boss but anyone remember 2008? lol boyfriend could not get a job screwing in a light bulb.

Owning your own business (if you want to be successful) is not simply hanging up a shingle.

someone mentioned truck driving? My brother in law is one. yes he gets a good salary, it is also long hours, long hours away from home (even short distance haulers), ungodly brutal on your body and the real money is in owning your own rig. don't even get him started on state highway rules and regulations, federal driving rules and regulations.

I'm a big proponent of the trades but most are not easy jobs, unless you move up to the next level like ownership, most are fairly middle class.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
pro-college elitists like to dismiss anything that don't agree with their mandatory college attendance mentality

keep on flooding the market with more degrees making them worthless and driving down wages for everybody else(economics 101)
Yup, that's really the entire agenda of this "college for all" movement.

I see job postings all the time online for jobs that a high school kid could do requiring a bachelors for $12/hr no benefits.

The next thing that is being gutted is the skilled trades. There is this huge push to get tons of people to learn trades which (like the college for all movement) will drive down wages to Walmart clerk tier.

Last edited by s1alker; 11-01-2017 at 06:21 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^
Those statistics were published in April 2012 and used data from 2011. 2011 was just after the GREAT RECESSION, when unemployment was high for everyone and jobs were still scarce. Unemployment figures at that time were in the 9% range, more than double that of today.
The right will ever hope that people have forgotten about the Great Recession. Especially as their own insipid fiscal, monetary, and regulatory policies did so much to help create it.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
no i call you an elitist because you are obsessed with pushing people into college and flooding the market with university degrees which devalue them
^^^ This is what can happen if you only take (and barely pass) Econ 101.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
The right will ever hope that people have forgotten about the Great Recession. Especially as their own insipid fiscal, monetary, and regulatory policies did so much to help create it.
I'm neither right nor left, neither Republican nor Democrat, but the takeover of the mortgage market by large quasi-governmental bodies--and their relentless encouragement of subprime mortgages--had far more to do with it than anything. And I say that as someone who watched the bubble inflate as a consultant to several banks and mortgage operations.

One of my clients was a mortgage operation in 40 markets. I had read a report written by the chief economists of FMAC and FMAE in 2001 that predicted that the housing boom would rage unabated until 2020 and shared it with my client's senior underwriter for his opinion. "I'd be amazed if it lasted five more years." He then gave me a rundown of how the government intervention in mortgage approvals had affected underwriting. "Used to be, if we turned down someone's application, we'd call them up and tell them why so they could address credit and income issues. Now, if we turn down someone's application, I have to tell someone with the government why."

Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDog1993 View Post
Women in particular have many privileges that men don't have. They are the parents who tend to win in child custody cases and they are far more likely to be taken seriously when reporting domestic abuse. In college they get their own major and are better able to exploit support opportunities available to them, a major factor that allows women to graduate more than men. Third wave feminism, which teaches that women are superior to men, has traction on many college campuses.

I have no words. Just so very very wrong on every level.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Yup, that's really the entire agenda of this "college for all" movement.
Your posts betray you. There IS no "college for all" movement, except as a crude figment in the controlled imaginations of those who fell for the "ivory tower elites" meme and now resent the intellectually well-to-do.

Meanwhile, college is just the beginning for doctors and lawyers. For them, a four-year degree would work out to something like the 15-mile mark in a marathon. The same is true in quite a range of other pursuits. Many of those currently in high school honor societies already understand that they will eventually pursue at least a Masters in whatever field they choose. There is no need to take that personally, but I would personally expect that many enough among the whners will do just that.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm neither right nor left, neither Republican nor Democrat, but the takeover of the mortgage market by large quasi-governmental bodies--and their relentless encouragement of subprime mortgages--had far more to do with it than anything. And I say that as someone who watched the bubble inflate as a consultant to several banks and mortgage operations.
That's actually all a bunch of absolute partisan nonsense. No one with actual credentials would choose to degrade themselves in posting such utter swill. You'd have to work on behalf of some nest of liars to stoop as low as that. It was in fact raging greed on Wall Street and raging laissez-faire ignorance in Washington that served as the primary culprits in manufacturing the credit crisis for us. It's all easily unearthed in the record, but some would need to undergo perhaps considerable deprogramming before being able to recognize the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education