Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:21 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm confused. Do you not see a difference between a parent abusing their child and two 16 year olds having consensual sex?
It all falls under Oregon's definition of abuse. And people here on other threads have made the case that the other examples I mentioned are "nobody's business" because they're intrafamily.

As far as two 16 year olds having sex, Oregon law defines that a 16 year old cannot give consent. You may agree or disagree but that's how the legislature there has defined age of consent.

Here's the thing, because that's become a mandatory report those people who are mandatory reporters have no choice, they have to report it or themselves face consequence. There is no gray area.

That gets drilled into your heads as a teacher at the beginning of every school year. My former system used to do it twice a year. Now, because of some issues the last couple years, the training is held at the beginning of every grading quarter. Four times a year.

Hell, it's gotten the point that if a kid doesn't have lunch money twice in a two week period the system has made that a mandatory report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Since when did someone decide that sexual activity between two teenagers, both of age of consent, become a crime that a teacher needs to report?
<>
Apparently around the end of October this year.
The age of consent in Oregon is 18.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:26 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
We've got it all in Denmark as far as marital mixes are concerned. The kids start learning about this in public nursury schools and forward. Friends are friends, idiots are idiots and bullies are bullies. Who/what their parents are doesn't matter.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I think sex between minors should be illegal and i wish people here in Texas had to report it.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
So they have to rely on teachers to control sex between kids now? Kinda sad

Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think sex between minors should be illegal and i wish people here in Texas had to report it.
Whya? ....and what should happen to the kids in your opinion?

Old 11-23-2017, 02:46 PM

51 posts, read 51,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Salem-Keizer teachers and staff were recently told that when they learn, or suspect, a student is sexually active, they must report it to law enforcement or state officials.

Some students, teachers and parents are upset with the requirement, so much so that more than 550 people signed a digital petition to Paul Kyllo, the school board chairman, demanding the practice be stopped.

Salem-Keizer staff told to report suspected sexually active students
This is a law in many states.. No one actually reports and who is really going to enforce that?? Two teens having consentual sex that is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education