Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 13,745 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's because my parents were quasi-traditional African adults but my father in particular hinted at me whenever I saw some "knackers" (redneck equivalent in U.S, chav equaivalent in U.K) or homeless people he said something to the tune of "you should study hard so you don't end up like that."

Now technically it isn't completely true since I literally failed H.S for personal reasons and I'm now currently enrolled in a further education institute. Hopefully thinks go well since I'm planning on being separate from my parents.

I know that people say with hard work and dedication, an obstacle like poor college grades is just being 1 simple level down in the game of life but is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:01 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
It is well documented that people w/o a high school education will make far less money here than those who’ve graduated or earned a GED. And those with a college degree will earn more than those with just a HD diploma. And the older you get, the bigger the difference in earnings will be.

This is on average, so sure there are exceptions. But don’t count on being drafted by a pro sports team, starting the next Internet sensation, making a best-selling album, or opening a burger chain that criss-crosses the nation. You may not end up sleeping in a box on the sidewalk, but prospects for black men without a high school diploma are exceedingly limited. So get that GED and don’t let anything stop you!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Not true at all.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
It's not the grades so much but the diploma that counts. Once you are in the work world, the diploma gives you access to more jobs. Rarely does anyone ask about your grades. But how you do on the job depends on your ability to learn on the job. You need to learn not only the work but how to get along with others (co-workers, customers, your bosses, etc.). To succeed you need to immerse yourself in learning and give your job a 100% effort. You need patience as it generally takes a lot longer to get what you want than you would like. Along the way, you should be looking to find that niche where you can excel, doing work you really love.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
It depends on why you are not doing well in high school. If you are stupid, then yes, you will likely not do well in life. If you are lazy, you might outgrow it and do well in college and/or grad school. Some people are not stupid or lazy but just not suited for the academic atmosphere. I have a daughter who is very smart, creative, hard working - but she cannot stand anything that involves sitting still for long periods of time. She struggled in high school and hated college and left. Through a series of jobs, she found she does great in things that involve moving constantly and terrible at jobs that involve sitting around. Right now, she is cleaning and she excels at it. Eventually she will need to find something that is better paying and has the possibility of advancement but entails moving around. If she finds such a job, she will excel at it and do fine.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixgangsta1993 View Post
Maybe it's because my parents were quasi-traditional African adults but my father in particular hinted at me whenever I saw some "knackers" (redneck equivalent in U.S, chav equaivalent in U.K) or homeless people he said something to the tune of "you should study hard so you don't end up like that."

Now technically it isn't completely true since I literally failed H.S for personal reasons and I'm now currently enrolled in a further education institute. Hopefully thinks go well since I'm planning on being separate from my parents.

I know that people say with hard work and dedication, an obstacle like poor college grades is just being 1 simple level down in the game of life but is this true?
not the least. i hated high school and did poorly 1.90 gpa, monthly suspensions, fights, etc...

after graduating I traveled the country, went to college (3.75 gpa) and today I am partnering with 2 other people starting up an education consultant group that will have 35+ employees and a projected gross income over $25 million the first year.

So yeah high school is over rated, but it cannot be absolutely discounted for some as this is their first chance to really apply themselves and get to college or make connections that could lead to the next Microsoft or Tesla.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Of course it's true. But only "for most people". You already know deep down if you are "like most people".

You could be that rap star, that Rain Man, that Tesla Salesman to the Stars, that Next Bill Gates who proves the rule by being the exception.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
You could also win the lottery, be President of the U.S., discover the cure for cancer, be the first man on Mars ... odds are one in several hundred million or so. Or you could be stuck in a crappy job without prospects or possessions, living in your parents' house until you get thrown out (odds are probably 1 in 10). IT'S REALLY UP TO YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Of course it's true. But only "for most people". You already know deep down if you are "like most people".

You could be that rap star, that Rain Man, that Tesla Salesman to the Stars, that Next Bill Gates who proves the rule by being the exception.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:01 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends on why you are not doing well in high school. If you are stupid, then yes, you will likely not do well in life. If you are lazy, you might outgrow it and do well in college and/or grad school. Some people are not stupid or lazy but just not suited for the academic atmosphere. I have a daughter who is very smart, creative, hard working - but she cannot stand anything that involves sitting still for long periods of time. She struggled in high school and hated college and left. Through a series of jobs, she found she does great in things that involve moving constantly and terrible at jobs that involve sitting around. Right now, she is cleaning and she excels at it. Eventually she will need to find something that is better paying and has the possibility of advancement but entails moving around. If she finds such a job, she will excel at it and do fine.
+1 This. Some kids don't "test" well which is often the only formal way they are evaluated in high school. Some kids peak in high school and accomplish...well, not much after that. Many kids bloom after high school and the bloom lasts as long as they direct their own lives.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
I agree with who said it depends on WHY you aren't doing well. Brother hated school, didn't try (still passed tho), but now he's 20 and making 80k+ a year. That's a lot of money around here. He didn't like school, but he's smart, hands on and a hard worker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education