Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times

Advertisements

So we are moving this summer and my daughter will be entering the 7th grade.

SHe has always attended a private international school, and unfortunately one does not exist where we will be moving to.

SHe speaks fluent Spanish, has been an exchange student in Mexico, and in her words, she knows more Spanish than English. She is also semi fluent in French. The international school she attends is an immersion program, meaning you are completely immersed in the language and culture and math, science, history is all taught in a foreign language.

There is no reason for her to take spanish at the new school for it would be like her taking a kindergarten english class. My question is how do we keep her from losing her spanish! After all the years of learning (and all the money invested) I am worried, as is she!

Besides getting telemundo, or maybe reading a book a month, any suggestions? Her spanish is so advanced, she is is 100% fluent- even in scientific, geographic and historic terms. ANd by the way, my husband and I do not speak any Spanish whatsoever. Russian and Italian, yes, but no Spanish.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 12:03 PM

216 posts, read 723,922 times
Reading Spanish literature would be obviously the easiest fix, but you probably want her to continue her oral language also. Look in your community for language groups. I know in my community the library hosts discussion groups for practice. High schools with higher percentages of speakers of other languages may offer heritage language classes such as Spanish for Spanish speakers. In this course they will continue with readings in all subject areas. I would also post a similar question in the forum of the community to which you are moving. You may get some great feedback.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Thanks emmi605, that is a good idea. I was thinking maybe spanish speaking groups exist, but was not sure.
Daughter's idea is to hire a native Spanish speaking cleaning lady. That may work, as long as she actually speaks to her, and is not just trying to get out of her chores!
But I will try to post in Tampa forum and see if the natives have any advice on local activities. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education