Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:01 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
And yet, Southerners do fine in college and beyond. There are many excellence southern Universities and they are not populated with people from the far better educated Northern East coast.

I wonder how those under-educated yokels do so well once they get to college?
As a whole, the South has very low educational attainment compared to other regions.

The majority of students at schools like Vanderbilt and Duke do NOT come from the South.

Finally, I will also say that during my children’s college search, we found certain public universities in the South to be *extremely* generous with scholarships to out-of-state students. According to a friend who works for the University of Alabama, they need to woo these talented out of state students in with $$$ because if they focused on in-state students, the school would not rank very highly.

Last edited by strawflower; 02-19-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
As a whole, the South has very low educational attainment compared to other regions.

The majority of students at schools like Vanderbilt and Duke do NOT come from the South.

Finally, I will also say that during my children’s college search, we found certain public universities in the South to be *extremely* generous with scholarships to out-of-state students. According to a friend who works for the University of Alabama, they need to woo these talented out of state students in with $$$ because if they focused on in-state students, the school would not rank very highly.
I just looked up demographics for Vandy. 65% come from the 11 southern states. So that point is incorrect.
And the common stated reason for public universities wanting out of state students is not grades, but $$. Out of state students bring significant $$ with them.

Yes, I know, it's politically correct to stereotype the south. And of course we remember what we learned about stereotyping.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I just looked up demographics for Vandy. 65% come from the 11 southern states. So that point is incorrect.
And the common stated reason for public universities wanting out of state students is not grades, but $$. Out of state students bring significant $$ with them.

Yes, I know, it's politically correct to stereotype the south. And of course we remember what we learned about stereotyping.
https://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/pr...llmentbyregion here’s the link. You must have misunderstood. 35% of students come from the South, 65% of students come from OUTSIDE the south.

I’m not sure how it is steretyping to state facts.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
. And of course we remember what we learned about stereotyping.
Nothing?

Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,418,578 times
Quote:

Another informational point. I attended UNC which is public and many students came from out of state but that was 10 years ago. I'm not sure now. But in the same tune, there are many out of state students at UofM and Michigan State as well. We are moving from Michigan back the Carolinas.

I'm wondering what the challenges will be academically for my daughter's freshmen year of college? The high school curriculum is different in each region of the country. She started middle school in Michigan but attended elementary in North Carolina. She was a bit more advanced. My other daughter will start 7th grade, a middle school in the Carolinas. Is it an advantage or disadvantage starting school in a different region?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/0...ww.google.com/

Here’s an article on how the U of Alabama has focused tons of money and time on recruiting out of state students to boost its academic profile. Since they are giving students full (or close to full) tuition scholarships, it’s clearly not about the money that they bring with them.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
https://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/pr...llmentbyregion here’s the link. You must have misunderstood. 35% of students come from the South, 65% of students come from OUTSIDE the south.

I’m not sure how it is steretyping to state facts.
What states are you including as the south?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
What states are you including as the south?
I’m just going by what Vanderbilt says in the “by region” column:
35% South
16% Midwest
16% Middle States
9% Southwest
9% West
5% New England
8% International

I don’t know how they categorize each state. You’d have to ask them.

Last edited by strawflower; 02-20-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Ok, I'm going by adding up the numbers in the state by state map provided for the states of the historical south:
Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee. So the state chosen makes a huge difference.

But regardless that information really says nothing about the education in those regions. For example, it also says 5% from New England. Does that imply only 5% of New England states students qualify? Of course not. But if I were intent on misinformation, I could make that claim from the data you show. That's what I mean about acting off a stereotype misusing data to justify a stereotype you already believe.

The typical stereotype of the south is an ignorant hillbilly who talks like Y'all come back now, ya hear and is a racist. Because of military service I've been able to live in several regions of the country. I've experienced those who think my accent means I'm ignorant. And I've been lectured on how "racist" southerners are by people who turn right around and argue that HOA covenants are important because it keeps "those people" out.

What I've also seen is school quality varies more widely from one district to the next than it does between regions of the country. When we lived in Colorado Springs for example (Phetori can chime in here since I think he lives there now), D20 was tops above D11 with a strong tech demographic among parents and D49 at the time was a rural school system of mostly farmers and ranchers. Which as now changed to include a huge growth population of educated middle class parents. So if you want to talk about differences in school districts, I'll agree with you. But not with labeling whole regions of the country when the diversity within is greater than the diversity between.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:37 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm going by adding up the numbers in the state by state map provided for the states of the historical south:
Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee. So the state chosen makes a huge difference.
You are claiming you add up those numbers and it makes 65% of the undergrads? How do you figure?

Va 154, NC 140, SC 70, Ga 395, Fl 491, Al 159, MS 44, LA 54, TX 424, AR 48 and TN 656. That makes 2635 out of 6885. That is 38%, not even close to the majority let alone the 65% you claimed. So no, the states you choose make no real difference let alone a huge one.

You are just plain old fashioned incorrect here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education