Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times

Advertisements

Mod note: Just an FYI, This thread is from 2012.

I've seen kids pee on themselves because teacher's tell them no, so what's your opinion?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-27-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
This is a tough call. Kids abuse bathroom passes. I had 7 kids ask to use the bathroom in one hour yesterday. Seriously, one would not expect 1/4th of the class to have a bathroom emergency during the same hour. I'm sure most/all were not emergencies but I can't tell a student they don't need to pee.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is a tough call. Kids abuse bathroom passes. I had 7 kids ask to use the bathroom in one hour yesterday. Seriously, one would not expect 1/4th of the class to have a bathroom emergency during the same hour. I'm sure most/all were not emergencies but I can't tell a student they don't need to pee.

I'm really glad you responded, I really wante your opinion considering your a teacher.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My kids have been told they cannot leave class to go to the restroom. I told them, if anyone says you can't go and you know you're about to have an accident, you leave class and go to the restroom. Then go to the office and tell them you had to walk out of class to go to the bathroom, and they will call me. I will deal with it.

My daughter had an accident in 1st grade and she was soaked front and back, from the waist down into the shoes. She never had another teacher at that school say she couldn't go. When we moved, I've had to go in and visit with her teacher each year and explain that my daughter will never ask to go to the restroom just to waste time or because she's bored, and that when she needs to go, it's urgent even if she's too shy to explain that it's urgent.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 PM

I've never liked the idea of teachers not allowing students to use the restrooms. It seems very barbaric to be told you cannot use the restroom. I understand that their are kids who just abuse the hall pass, but I don't think the few students who don't should be pentalized.
I once had a teacher tell me that I could not go,yet tell another male student he could. (i'm a male as well)

I got up and left.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM

353 posts, read 905,541 times
Prison mentality

Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
I've never heard of this. If there is a problem with it being abused, they should have a bathroom monitor. I can't imagine having to go to the restroom and not being permitted to go. It is inhumane.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I've never heard of this. If there is a problem with it being abused, they should have a bathroom monitor. I can't imagine having to go to the restroom and not being permitted to go. It is inhumane.

Exactly. When I was in highschool i happened to have the same teacher who taught Freshman Relgion and Sophmore History so i had her two years. She'd talk non stop, putting heads to sleep, and wouldn't allow anyone to go to the bathroom,she'd get students suspended for walking out in the event of emergncy.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Then the question when should they go? They can't go durring period change most of the time, My son often as to go from one side of the campus to the other, if he walks does not make any stops for anything, he might just make it. His HS campus is actualy 2 campus. Years ago they built a new middle school accross the street. The HS then explaned into the 'old' middle school buildings, making it 1 big campus (2500) students. Also there are times of day, when you body just needs to go, and it going to happen more or less durring the same period.

Have breakfast @ 8am (at school). You need bathroom break @ 10-11am Have lunch @ noon, Need bathroom break @ 2-230p It just the time it takes for the body to process it.

Also being in the south, The school are big into water hydration, The school have A/C, but the student need to change classes outside and the temp are in the 80-90 still. .. More to go to the bathroom over.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:09 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Who will pay for the bathroom monitors? School budgets are tight enough already. My school has five separate bathrooms in the building, so we would need to hire 5 people, 8 hours a day, 165 days a year, at $9 per hour. Roughly $60,000 just for someone to monitor the bathroom. And that is my one elementary school only. There are 12 elementary schools in the district, three middle schools and three high schools. That is a lot of money for a district that requires the students that take a bus to pay $1 per ride.

I teach at the elementary level and you would NOT believe the issues with the bathroom. One kindergartener says they have to go and it goes around like wildfire. They run to the bathroom passes constantly. Our district says that we can't say no. I try to get around that by having them go to the bathroom before they come into my room (I'm a music teacher). I have two lines, one for the bathroom and one for those who don't need to go. Some classroom teachers have started help out with this and it is making things a lot better. Because I spent 10 minutes with the bathroom today, my kindergarten class was able to get through the lesson much faster than the class that didn't get the bathroom break.

So, for kindergarten and first grade, I give the children the opportunity to use the restroom right before my class. For the older ones, I have them show me crossed fingers so that it is private and I'll either say, "wait a second" if we have a transition coming up in the next minute or two, or just nod my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education