Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Amen! Humans are flawed beings and it is disingenuous to judge those who lived in another era by the cultural mores of today. Many a person these days who spout outrage at what today are deemed inappropriate comments, by the heroes of yesterday, would have been doing and saying those same things had they been raised in that era.

Whitewashing history does not change it, it just hides it.
I agree. You have to look at it all within historical context. Harry Truman was anti-Semitic. Jackson's policies on the American Indians were reprehensible and disgraceful by late 20th century standards of morality. Grant expelled the Jews from TN during the civil war. These men cannot be judged by black and white thinking and therefore, I don't agree with the current trend of erasing their complete history by removing their monuments or their names from public buildings.

Old 05-13-2018, 04:18 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine. I noticed that the neighborhood elementary school in my new neighborhood is named after Woodrow Wilson
How many schools are named George Washington High School or Jefferson Elementary etc.?

....both men owned slaves.

It's good to see people with so poor judgement abut what is actually important, diverted into worrying about things like who a school is named after. It keeps them occupied and out of the way where they can do no real harm, while the adults take care of the important stuff.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:17 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I would only support changing the name of some commemorative edifice if I had made a genuine attempt to understand and appreciate the reason WHY it was so named at the time it was named. The school wasn't named in order to glorify or remember a racist. Contexts change; a good thing.

IMHO there may be more productive ways to register your sense of injustice (and make better use of those taxpayer dollars BTW) than to bicker over the name on the building. Such as being involved in reviewing their curriculum to make sure the historical record taught there is accurate.

This 100%

Old 05-14-2018, 06:11 AM

804 posts, read 544,636 times
Okay no more SJW. Tearing down of Statues starting with Saddam is wrong, renaming parks, dropping flags is a waste of time when we have this war thing from 2001 still occurring. Even preventing POW from entering the United States is wrong ( This is a law from WW2 days ).

You have to understand. the League of Nations was Europe. In Europe eyes it was the world and eve today they hold that over blanket over everybody. Yes the USA President of that time did not agree with removing segregation but it was not until protests on Washington this had to be dealt with.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:23 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
As a property taxpayer in this neighborhood, I intend to write a letter to ask the School Board to rename that school.
Many Right Wingers will support the name Woodrow Wilson being removed from the school, but for different reasons. He is touted as one of the original leaders of the Progressive Movement that the Right is still battling against today.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:33 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, but he was a man of contradictions and had a way of appearing one way and being another way.

All politicians are men of contradictions. And these days we have women of contradictions, too.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President from 1933-1945 famously interred American citizens of Japanese descent during World War II, refused to integrate the military, and turned away the M/S St. Louis carrying Jewish refugees trying to escape Nazi Germany. Yet FDR is widely celebrated and is still depicted on the U.S. dime. Will his day of reckoning come?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,286 times
Quote:
This is a pet peeve of mine. I noticed that the neighborhood elementary school in my new neighborhood is named after Woodrow Wilson, one of the worst racist POTUSes of all time!! I’m not sure why these educational buildings would continue to be named for a vile racist. What is the general consensus among educators on this topic?
Plenty of streets in the country named after Malcolm X. Not only an avowed anti-semite but also majorly anti-white racist. As well as being... an iconoclastic thinker, a brave man and a beacon of hope for many oppressed minorities.

People are complex. We have to look at the balance of what they did, otherwise pretty much everyone is off the list historically.

Woodrow Wilson's moves to create the seed idea and also the progenitor of the UN was a major global accomplishment in bringing peoples closer together.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Every change that a leader facilitates will have some winners and some losers. Some advantages and some disadvantages. Some predicted consequences and some unpredicted fallout.

Whitewashing history for muh feels is fraught with intellectual dishonesty.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Isn't every single person, living or dead, racist in one way, shape or form?
C'mon man, stop being so sensitive OP. People such as yourself are the ones attempting to destroy our great nation.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Isn't every single person, living or dead, racist in one way, shape or form?
C'mon man, stop being so sensitive OP. People such as yourself are the ones attempting to destroy our great nation.
That's easy to say, when you're a member of the dominant culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education