Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Education system has a mechanism to evaluate people, many times.
Those who are not in the system could be intelligent, but it is hard to tell.
In my opinion it is actually not difficult to determine if someone is intelligent. All you have to do is spend some time with them and it becomes quite obvious (assuming you yourself are intelligent). Over the years I've hired thousands in several different technical and non-technical fields. Possession of a degree in itself did not make them intelligent. It only indicates some level of knowledge in a given field (which is often quite minimal). Quite frankly, some of the best engineers that ever worked for me didn't do all that well in school and a few didn't have degrees but were self-taught. Conversely I've had engineers that achieved a very high GPA that proved to be useless in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
In my opinion it is actually not difficult to determine if someone is intelligent. All you have to do is spend some time with them and it becomes quite obvious (assuming you yourself are intelligent). Over the years I've hired thousands in several different technical and non-technical fields. Possession of a degree in itself did not make them intelligent. It only indicates some level of knowledge in a given field (which is often quite minimal). Quite frankly, some of the best engineers that ever worked for me didn't do all that well in school and a few didn't have degrees but were self-taught. Conversely I've had engineers that achieved a very high GPA that proved to be useless in the real world.
A highly intelligent person can't help but be self-taught in most of what he knows.

An intelligent person consumes knowledge like a glutton consumes calories.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
But when you hire you have not "spent some time with them". You need to refer to something to begin with.

Yes, some students with high GPAs are not good workers, but those with Fs are more likely to be terrible workers too.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:28 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
What are some examples of intelligence outside of being formally educated?
Curiosity. I've found that the most intelligent people (and animals) are the ones that are curious about everything. They're also the ones that tend to get in the most trouble, too, because they'll question and explore things to find their own answers.

Curious and intelligent people are also rule breakers and challengers of authority. It goes with the territory.

When I get a puppy, I'm going to ask for the brattiest one the breeder has, because that will be the most curious and intelligent puppy in the litter.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:52 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
When I get a puppy, I'm going to ask for the brattiest one the breeder has, because that will be the most curious and intelligent puppy in the litter.
Except for Golden Retrievers and other very vicious breeds. The brattiest ones are generally impossibly dangerous.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:45 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Except for Golden Retrievers and other very vicious breeds. The brattiest ones are generally impossibly dangerous.
I consider bratty ones to be the ones always looking for something to get into. Like a rat I saw at a rat show one day. All I heard all day long from the owner was, "Jupiter, get down!" Jupiter, quit that!" "Jupiter, knock it off!".

Jupiter jumped out of the cage every time the lid was lifted. He scuffled with the other rats. He tipped the food dish over. He shoveled shavings under the water bottle and drained it.

I would have taken Jupiter home in a heartbeat, except he wasn't for sale.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:09 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
What are some examples of intelligence outside of being formally educated?
Creativity, critical thinking, natural charismatic communication, imagination, improvisation

Formal education or IQ tests don’t measure all cognitive abilities

Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 PM

725 posts, read 805,148 times
Intelligence and education are completely separate things. Intelligence is based on your neural connections and information processing and decision making skills. This is determined by genetics (and possibly environmental factors in the womb or development).

Education is a form of instruction where information (often biased) is fed to students. Education may allow a person to harness his or her intelligence but an unintellligent person can never be made intelligent through education.

I find education is often harmful to natural intellect because kids are taught what to think and how to think. The latter is worse because no matter what information a person receives he or she will come out with the same response because he or she was instilled with a particular method of thinking. I prefer people who acquire knowledge on their own and develop their own thought process. No excuse with information available at ones finger tips whether it is in text, interactive, picture or video form online. Schooling beyond the basic elementary level of reading, writing and basic math is often a waste of time as the information that is taught is biased and most of it is not useful in life nor applicable to future career endeavors or interests. In school you learn to appease teachers and test grades. That is not conducive to knowledge.

What is intelligence though is a matter of opinion.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Intelligence and education are completely separate things. Intelligence is based on your neural connections and information processing and decision making skills. This is determined by genetics (and possibly environmental factors in the womb or development).

Education is a form of instruction where information (often biased) is fed to students. Education may allow a person to harness his or her intelligence but an unintellligent person can never be made intelligent through education.

I find education is often harmful to natural intellect because kids are taught what to think and how to think. The latter is worse because no matter what information a person receives he or she will come out with the same response because he or she was instilled with a particular method of thinking. I prefer people who acquire knowledge on their own and develop their own thought process. No excuse with information available at ones finger tips whether it is in text, interactive, picture or video form online. Schooling beyond the basic elementary level of reading, writing and basic math is often a waste of time as the information that is taught is biased and most of it is not useful in life nor applicable to future career endeavors or interests. In school you learn to appease teachers and test grades. That is not conducive to knowledge.

What is intelligence though is a matter of opinion.
No intelligence is not completely genetic. Training affects intelligence too.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 PM

740 posts, read 456,098 times
A good amount of people who are book smart are dumb as a door knob when it comes to life. I take street smart over book smart any day of the week, month, or year. I use to watch a lot of tv shows that deals with murder and I can say that majority of the deaths could have been prevented if they had an once of street smart. Many of those victims played a huge role in their own death due to extremely poor judgment on their part. People are going to cry about me blaming the victim, etc. etc. But hey, life is not fair. It's a vicious world. Only the strong, smart survives.

So, yeah, there are more to life than schools, GPA, SAT, and IQ tests. Being book smart doesn't amount to wealth either. Some of the wealthiest people I know or met in my personal life, they didn't even have a high school degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education