Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

I moved out of the city of Chicago because of the horrific public schools - some of the worst in the nation. With high failure rates, gangs, shootings, etc., many inner city schools are in a state of emergency. I recently read a proposal for the creation of Chicago public boarding schools:

No small plan: Public boarding schools for Chicago -- Family, Illinois, Chicago Public Schools -- chicagotribune.com

I'm starting to think a network of publicly-funded city boarding schools may be a good idea. It would have high upfront/construction costs but in the long run could improve the educational level of future generations, improve the job force/industry, reduce gang/crime costs, reduce welfare costs, etc.

Many inner city kids think school is the safest place to be and would be happy to stay there longer (even live there). Many struggling city parents (who may be single, homeless, unemployed, with multiple kids, etc.) would welcome the idea of their child attending a boarding school that can offer them better safety and education.

I was wondering what other cities have tried this and what was the outcome? Do you support paying for city boarding schools? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:45 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Hmmm...interesting idea. I think you'd have an entirely different set of problems with boarding schools, especially if they were in the inner cities.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Hmmm...interesting idea. I think you'd have an entirely different set of problems with boarding schools, especially if they were in the inner cities.
What specific types of problems? In the long run, I think there would be fewer problems if these struggling kids were moved into the safer, more educational environment of a boarding school. BTW, I think the schools would have to be single-sex (or at least the dorms would have to be).

I know this type of "institutionalizing" of kids sounds extreme, but I think these are desperate times for our failing city schools and we need an extreme measure.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Might not be a bad idea, if it is affordable (for the State). I used to think I was raising the children in my classroom, in addition to having the responsibility of teaching them. How much easier if they had positive influences 24/7. Being in a public boarding school, if done right, may even give the students a sense of pride in the school being 'theirs.'

I think the education systems across the US will need to be 'creative' if they are to make a difference in the lives of children, and educate them.

Thanks for sharing the article. Interesting indeed.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, frankly, I would tend to think that other people's bratty, troubled, or poorly raised kids would benefit from it, but I would never send my kid to a boarding school run by the government in a million years. Which I guess makes me sound like a Liberal...I think it's great for YOUR kid, but not good enough for MY kid.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, frankly, I would tend to think that other people's bratty, troubled, or poorly raised kids would benefit from it, but I would never send my kid to a boarding school run by the government in a million years. Which I guess makes me sound like a Liberal...I think it's great for YOUR kid, but not good enough for MY kid.
I wouldn't send my kids there either. I think govt. boarding schools should be for poor, troubled, inner city kids only. I also thought that made me sound like a Liberal (maybe I'm a "Liberal" in education matters only).

There are already plenty of expensive private boarding schools that meet the needs of upperclass families (I would never send my kids there either).

Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
What specific types of problems? .
Well...having been a "victim" of boarding school, I have to say they have all the same problems as regular schools do, and on top of it all the kids are cooped up together 24/7 which adds to the frustration. And, are you going to let them go home on the weekends, or keep them at school? If they're kept at school, what are you going to do to keep them busy during non-school hours? Many other issues too, but boarding school really wouldn't solve much.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Well...having been a "victim" of boarding school, I have to say they have all the same problems as regular schools do, and on top of it all the kids are cooped up together 24/7 which adds to the frustration. And, are you going to let them go home on the weekends, or keep them at school? If they're kept at school, what are you going to do to keep them busy during non-school hours? Many other issues too, but boarding school really wouldn't solve much.
I have friends from very wealthy families that attended boarding schools and feel as you do. But I'm talking about a boarding school for the poor. A school for the lowest classes that are currently living in Chicago housing projects. The kids are getting shot at every day (check current news stories on the many recent shootings/deaths of Chicago school students.) These are the kids that would benefit from the boarding school - the kids that are currently living in a war zone and have little chance of escape from violence, drugs, gangs, prostitution, illiteracy, jail, early death, etc... I feel that removing them from this violent environment to a safe, boarding school would be a huge benefit for the kids and for society as a whole.

I don't have all the answers to your questions. That's why I posted this thread and want to hear ideas. I'm sure sports, clubs, homework, chores, etc. would keep kids busy after school. I bet if it were run more like a military academy there would be less problems. I have seen many troubled youth join the military and make a complete turn around. I know this sounds extreme but there are just too many neglected, abused kids out there that need the protection, academics and parenting that a boarding school could provide.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-01-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Inner-city+boarding school=chaos.

Take it from somebody who grew up in the inner-city.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Inner-city+boarding school=chaos.

Take it from somebody who grew up in the inner-city.
The school, of course, would need high security and monitoring systems/personnel, high regulation, highly trained staff, and a smaller student:teacher ratio. Again, I would like more specifics as to why this would be such a bad idea. (I also grew up in a high-crime city area but I was still able to somehow get a good education - I think times have drastically changed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education