Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:19 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times

Advertisements

Just a word of caution. Both of my kids are STEMish types. Especially shocking in my son's case - just about every school he visited Brown, Duke, Vandy, Notre Dame, Stanford, University of Texas, Rice, Baylor made clear that medical schools frown on AP and IB hours in the sciences/math. This on top of the fact that some of the schools visited wouldn't accept any of the hours at all, some as free elective substitutes only etc.

My son had AP 5s, he hammered all of tests into the 90s. so there was no argument that he winged it or didn't grasp the material, in Calc AB, BC, Bio, both Physics C classes, Statistics. Long story a bit longer he ended up at Baylor and a Baylor medical advisor talked my son into retaking every class. My son says the best decision he ever made related to academics was to retake all of those courses at Baylor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 04:25 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Just a word of caution. Both of my kids are STEMish types. Especially shocking in my son's case - just about every school he visited Brown, Duke, Vandy, Notre Dame, Stanford, University of Texas, Rice, Baylor made clear that medical schools frown on AP and IB hours in the sciences/math. This on top of the fact that some of the schools visited wouldn't accept any of the hours at all, some as free elective substitutes only etc.

My son had AP 5s, he hammered all of tests into the 90s. so there was no argument that he winged it or didn't grasp the material, in Calc AB, BC, Bio, both Physics C classes, Statistics. Long story a bit longer he ended up at Baylor and a Baylor medical advisor talked my son into retaking every class. My son says the best decision he ever made related to academics was to retake all of those courses at Baylor.
If Baylor has the policy of not granting credit for AP scores for courses in the major there likely wasn't much "talking into" it involved.

What you ran into has been standard since I got into AP stuff twenty years ago. I never ran into a college that granted AP for in major courses.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It seems more colleges are also not giving as much credit for AP because it doesn't really match the college level curriculum. My daughter's college only allowed a few of her AP courses to count and none in her major field, while they would accept dual enrollment credits. My son's will count either AP or dual enrollment for credit, but requires kids to replace the course they got credit for with a higher level course in the same subject. So none of the skipping freshman year with AP credits.
My college is moving to that model, supposedly for that reason. But myself and others think it really has to due with the fact that the school and others were losing serious revenue from early graduations made possible by a high AP score transfer rate. Raise the score, and you'll have fewer credits being accepted, which means students won't be graduating early (as a general matter...you can also take summer classes, etc.),.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If Baylor has the policy of not granting credit for AP scores for courses in the major there likely wasn't much "talking into" it involved.

What you ran into has been standard since I got into AP stuff twenty years ago. I never ran into a college that granted AP for in major courses.
My university does (or did did...its been a minute), but the practice is rare in my experience.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I'll ask the kid to be sure. However, my recollection is Baylor would have counted at least some of the mentioned AP credits towards his majors.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My college is moving to that model, supposedly for that reason. But myself and others think it really has to due with the fact that the school and others were losing serious revenue from early graduations made possible by a high AP score transfer rate. Raise the score, and you'll have fewer credits being accepted, which means students won't be graduating early (as a general matter...you can also take summer classes, etc.),.
Honestly, I don't think it's driven by too many 3 year graduations; the bigger problem seems to be getting students out in only 4 because 5 and 6 are becoming more common. I actually do think it's driven by kids AP-ing out of those initial college courses and then not actually having the foundation for the next level course. My son for example is not using his AP credits and is very glad. He's acknowledged he would not have been ready for the higher level material even though he'd successfully passed his AP tests.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
My family and I are relocating. My children will be 13, 11, and 7 by the start of the next school year. All three of them are classified as "gifted". My oldest is taking honors and PreAP classes....
Quote:
...This on top of the fact that some of the schools visited wouldn't accept any of the hours at all, some as free elective substitutes only etc.
or the 'other' option...
Just send the kids to CC or U instead of HS...
(Free in WA State, since 1993). If you have AP / IB quality kids... it is very simple to pass a college entrance examine while in 9-10th grade. (must pass one yr prior to enrolling). Ours never set foot in HS...

Ours transferred as FULL Jrs to University directly from HS. No AP no IB, just 60+ hrs of FREE 100+ level COLLEGE credits. (You can do this in your state, but may have to pay (this is VERY CHEAP compared to U) ). My kids excelled at the opportunity to escape the trivial mentality (social burden / time waste) of HS. They were chosen to be tutors in College, so got a 'double education' Free (learn more while teaching others).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start
Running Start programs in Washington, Hawaii, and Illinois[1] allow high school juniors and seniors to attend college courses numbered 100 or above, while completing high school. It is similar to other dual enrollment programs common at public and private colleges and universities in other schools.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
I got credit in my major and I went to a private college.

Quote:
That's going to vary.

It's been practice for years to not award AP credit (or a course exemption, which is what you describe bed as a replacement) in a student's major.

Colleges have tightened up on both awarding credit or exemptions over the last decade or so, actually longer now that I remember i retired five years ago. It's difficult to get a straight answer why but I believe it's because so many school systems pushed AP at as many kids, including multitudes who really shouldn't have been in the classes.

Greeneville, the schedule isn't necessarily to mirror college but the coursework, in theory, is supposed to. I maintain that many AP classes offer much more material than the comparative college class does. Following on that, if you only got to 1865 in your AP US History class you had a crappy teacher, that course now and always has covered Colonial until today (call that as 2008ish probably now).

As an aside, one justification we were given to switch to an A/B schedule was "Well, it's like college".

Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's driven by too many 3 year graduations; the bigger problem seems to be getting students out in only 4 because 5 and 6 are becoming more common. I actually do think it's driven by kids AP-ing out of those initial college courses and then not actually having the foundation for the next level course. My son for example is not using his AP credits and is very glad. He's acknowledged he would not have been ready for the higher level material even though he'd successfully passed his AP tests.

That was the case in a couple of colleges where I worked, espeically for the engineering/science majors. They'd be missing key foundational concepts and when they got to next classs in line they'd be lost.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
or the 'other' option...
Just send the kids to CC or U instead of HS...
(Free in WA State, since 1993). If you have AP / IB quality kids... it is very simple to pass a college entrance examine while in 9-10th grade. (must pass one yr prior to enrolling). Ours never set foot in HS...

Ours transferred as FULL Jrs to University directly from HS. No AP no IB, just 60+ hrs of FREE 100+ level COLLEGE credits. (You can do this in your state, but may have to pay (this is VERY CHEAP compared to U) ). My kids excelled at the opportunity to escape the trivial mentality (social burden / time waste) of HS. They were chosen to be tutors in College, so got a 'double education' Free (learn more while teaching others).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start
Running Start programs in Washington, Hawaii, and Illinois[1] allow high school juniors and seniors to attend college courses numbered 100 or above, while completing high school. It is similar to other dual enrollment programs common at public and private colleges and universities in other schools.
Generally speaking similar is available here. Texans have something called The Texas Academy of Math and Science which is a test in, live in school attended 11th and 12th graders usually can be as young as 9th....these kids finish HS and two years of college.

DISD (Dallas) sports a program such that just about any kid with a pulse may graduate HS with an associates degree or college hours.

A private catholic high school in the area, Bishop Lynch Dallas FWIIW, has for many years sported a dual-credit program allowing many kids to graduate with a good number of hours. A buddy sent his three kids there one was able to complete his engineering degree in 2 years, the next completed her engineering degree in 2 years and a semester, and the third took a little longer but he ended up with two engineering degrees.

A problem tho. during our son's college search most of the schools I mentioned above wouldn't accept CC hours for in-major credit towards anything pre-med related. IIRC he had 16 or 18hrs. of potential AP credits and around 30 hours of dual credits. in the end he used 6 hours out of all that.

Funny thing, even though he did not use most of his dual credit hours every single medical school to which he applied used those hours towards calculating his GPA.

As time goes on more and more legit. options will open up for capable kids to earn college credits early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education