Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2022, 10:44 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
One alternative is you don't. You have them in different pay bands. Perhaps, to use your example, an Art pay band; a PE/Rec/Band/Chorus/Theatre pay band, and a STEM pay band. Each of these pay bands would have different pay ranges associated with them and teachers would only compete/compare within their pay band.

The problem is, most of this discussion is not about those with true disabilities that would limit/prevent learning, but about those whose only "disability" is lack of the give-a-damn gene in themselves or their parents. How much of each teacher's class time is wasted each day trying to teach these students?

Going back to your specific example, how much of the $10K average cost was driven by the various special program? Special services for a few, spread across a lot can still add up to a metric boat load of money.

Why throw billions at unsolvable problems? Because the general public demands it. Talk about an unsolvable problem, you have a third of the population voting for more "free money"; another third voting to cut it; and another third voting both ways. And somewhere around half can't find their way to the voting booth.
I do think there are solutions. But:

1. There is not A solution.
2. The solutions are not going to be easy.
3. What profession in America today don't people witch about? Lawyers? Doctors? Wait staff? Police? Home builders? Grocery stores? I can't think of any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2022, 06:47 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Even back in my day...the early 2000s...I very occasionally had a parent tell me they were taking their children to a private school or to home schooling, and my answer was always the same: "Thank you!"
Wow, great attitude for a person who is supposedly a public servant, which is your first, and foremost role, as an employee of the government…

Quote:
I do think there are solutions.
But a few pages ago you were saying that there was no solution other than to hire a minimally qualified Dingus. Which is it? You seem really mixed up and confused for someone who was entrusted with vast amounts of responsibility. Either that or, given you’re a government employee, you just told people what you thought they wanted to hear regardless of whether it reflected the truth or reality.

My own view is that a public school is not an appropriate place to hire a minimally qualified dipstick because nobody else is available; and then sit back and cross your fingers, hoping nothing bad will happen. The public expects and deserves better from the government.

Indeed, your failure to even recognize your wrongdoing in doing such a thing, plus the fact that you blame everybody but yourself for your shortcomings and problems, proves the point against you. It’s just the icing on the cake that the only people defending you are also part of the good old boy’s government employee club.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 10-16-2022 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-16-2022, 07:08 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
1. Why would I compare a PE teacher to a chemistry teacher? Why not compare a PE teacher to other PE teachers?

2. But then again, it's not really comparing teachers to one another (there was no quota system), as it is comparing performance of a teacher to pre-stated standards.
In some of these subjects, many schools only have one or two people teaching that subject. Many of the schools in my area have one music, art, Family and Consumer Science, and two P.E. teachers. One district has one P.E. teacher also teaching Family and Consumer Science.

Shouldn't comparing performance of a teacher to pre-stated standards be the standard to be rated competent or "meets standard?"

Old 10-16-2022, 07:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
In some of these subjects, many schools only have one or two people teaching that subject. Many of the schools in my area have one music, art, Family and Consumer Science, and two P.E. teachers. One district has one P.E. teacher also teaching Family and Consumer Science.

Shouldn't comparing performance of a teacher to pre-stated standards be the standard to be rated competent or "meets standard?"
I think the issue, particularly with upper grades, is that you get kids who may be several grade levels behind where they are supposed to be. I have a friend who is now a resource lead for reading. When she was school based, she’d be teaching 8th graders who weren’t even on 3rd grade level yet. There isn’t any way for her to magically be able to get the kids up to 8th grade level in a year. The issue is how do we assess teachers in upper grades who are dealing with students who are years behind when entering the class? Where I grew up, we had a few schools that had mostly migrant workers, so the population was highly transient. The kids you have this year may not even be kids who were in the same district or the USA at all the previous year.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Wow, great attitude for a person who is supposedly a public servant, which is your first, and foremost role, as an employee of the government…

But a few pages ago you were saying that there was no solution other than to hire a minimally qualified Dingus. Which is it? You seem really mixed up and confused for someone who was entrusted with vast amounts of responsibility. Either that or, given you’re a government employee, you just told people what you thought they wanted to hear regardless of whether it reflected the truth or reality.

My own view is that a public school is not an appropriate place to hire a minimally qualified dipstick because nobody else is available; and then sit back and cross your fingers, hoping nothing bad will happen. The public expects and deserves better from the government.

Indeed, your failure to even recognize your wrongdoing in doing such a thing, plus the fact that you blame everybody but yourself for your shortcomings and problems, proves the point against you. It’s just the icing on the cake that the only people defending you are also part of the good old boy’s government employee club.
I really don't care if you like it. Educators do get to have personal opinions.

No, as everyone here who reads this forum knows, I did not say that "there was no solution other than to hire a minimally qualified Dingus". This is just another one of your insult educators posts.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I don't think so. I want teachers and other staff who go above and beyond the basic standard. They're the ones who should receive additional benefits.

Old 10-16-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the issue, particularly with upper grades, is that you get kids who may be several grade levels behind where they are supposed to be. I have a friend who is now a resource lead for reading. When she was school based, she’d be teaching 8th graders who weren’t even on 3rd grade level yet. There isn’t any way for her to magically be able to get the kids up to 8th grade level in a year. The issue is how do we assess teachers in upper grades who are dealing with students who are years behind when entering the class? Where I grew up, we had a few schools that had mostly migrant workers, so the population was highly transient. The kids you have this year may not even be kids who were in the same district or the USA at all the previous year.
But that is why assessing teachers based only on scores on standardized tests is not fair to teachers (unless you are assessing them based on how they make progress as a group, rather than in relation to where we expect (for example) tenth graders to be.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:01 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
But that is why assessing teachers based only on scores on standardized tests is not fair to teachers (unless you are assessing them based on how they make progress as a group, rather than in relation to where we expect (for example) tenth graders to be.
And as we found out during the early days of NCLB one kid can screw up your scores three or four different ways if you have one who's got an IEP, on FARM, ESOL.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:12 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
I really don't care if you like it.
Really, would you say that you’re glad a parent is taking their child elsewhere, to a parent, in front of your boss? Oh wait….

Also, describing yourself as an “educator” is really stretching the use of the term…

Old 10-16-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Really, would you say that you’re glad a parent is taking their child elsewhere, to a parent, in front of your boss? Oh wait….

Also, describing yourself as an “educator” is really stretching the use of the term…
One of the main things we worked on at our school was bullying. We had a very strong anti-bullying program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education