Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:15 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But yet...the ONE actual example they showed...there wasn't anything offensive (to me anyway) about what she was wearing.

And the whole 'tone' of the letter to the parents, the principle SAYS the parents are partners in the kids education, but talks down to the parents...like she's putting them in their place.

I gotta say, if I, as a parent recieved a letter like that, I'd be doing a slow simmer, for sure.
Agree. I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand I understand the need for appropriate dress (I don't like going into Walmart after 9PM for that very reason, but I don't go up to those folks and tell them how to dress). On the other hand, it isn't her job to tell parents what to do. The parents are not students and the principal isn't their boss. The tone of that letter could have been different, but instead it was written in that typical "talking down to you" tone that many educators use with parents and which makes parents much less receptive to school funding needs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,411,860 times
When my daughter went to high school in the Eighties the school did everything they could to limit parents' interaction. They even stopped the PTA meetings. It was clear that because of a handful of troublesome parents they had decided to limit all parents' input.

This rule may have the effect of discouraging the more adversarial parents from coming to the school altogether. If that is an unspoken intention it is a clever way to solve a problem.

Because who is more apt to follow the guidelines? A parent who cares about their child and is willing to adjust his behavior for a moment to help that child succeed by cooperating with his school.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There was a short story about this on CNN last night too. I'm all for people dressing with some sense of decorum when out in public but the pettiness of it was still was good for a laugh. Especially when those whinging parents pulled out the poverty/discrimination card! I'm sure these same parents dress up for date night...don't try to convince me they don't own clean jeans and a T-shirt with enough coverage to haul kids to school. Not buying that for a second.
The only person who could stand a chance of pulling this off would be a Black principal. And they're even giving her flack!

Old 04-27-2019, 10:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Agree. I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand I understand the need for appropriate dress (I don't like going into Walmart after 9PM for that very reason, but I don't go up to those folks and tell them how to dress). On the other hand, it isn't her job to tell parents what to do. The parents are not students and the principal isn't their boss. The tone of that letter could have been different, but instead it was written in that typical "talking down to you" tone that many educators use with parents and which makes parents much less receptive to school funding needs.

I'm not so sure it isn't the principal's job to tell parents "what to do", actually how to dress, in the school building.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:35 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Agree. I'm really torn on this one. On the one hand I understand the need for appropriate dress (I don't like going into Walmart after 9PM for that very reason, but I don't go up to those folks and tell them how to dress). On the other hand, it isn't her job to tell parents what to do.

Maintenance of decorum and order within the school is her job.

Quote:
The parents are not students and the principal isn't their boss. The tone of that letter could have been different, but instead it was written in that typical "talking down to you" tone that many educators use with parents and which makes parents much less receptive to school funding needs.
So your issue is merely with her diction, then, not her intention or authority.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:41 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Maintenance of decorum and order within the school is her job.

So your issue is merely with her diction, then, not her intention or authority.
It's not an issue of diction but one of attitude and lack of respect toward parents. The tone and attitude taken in the letter is one of command -- I am the principal; you will do as I say. Parents are not students and it is not her job to order parents to do anything. So long as laws are not being broken, she may not like how the parents dress, but that's their prerogative.

This is all part of the bigger issue between educators and parents. What's the saying? You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Teachers need parents to be allies. Treating parents like school children doesn't help.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 PM

495 posts, read 327,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That was probably at least 50 years ago, and it was only wealthier women who did that. Daily showers have been a "thing" for at least 50 years as well.

No, maybe you should read the policy.

Why?
No, It wasn't at least 50 years ago. It still happens today. My mother was in a nursing home just last year, and that's how it was among her cohort.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM

495 posts, read 327,454 times
My father used to tell a story about how in the 60's, wearing curlers out in public was a fad. There was even a bride who wore them in her hair to her wedding, saying something like, "I may go out later tonight". I think it's stupid, but it's not offensive, and I don't see how this principal can be justified in demanding parents refrain from wearing any of these head coverings into the school. She is going too far with that one. I may be white, but I have heard enough about the difficulties of styling black hair from internet friends to be sympathetic.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
No, It wasn't at least 50 years ago. It still happens today. My mother was in a nursing home just last year, and that's how it was among her cohort.
And how old is your mother? It was a "thing" for women of school age kids probably 50 years ago. My mom quit doing that (going to hairdresser once a week) when she went back to work. Not enough time. That was in 1968, 51 years ago now.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
My father used to tell a story about how in the 60's, wearing curlers out in public was a fad. There was even a bride who wore them in her hair to her wedding, saying something like, "I may go out later tonight". I think it's stupid, but it's not offensive, and I don't see how this principal can be justified in demanding parents refrain from wearing any of these head coverings into the school. She is going too far with that one. I may be white, but I have heard enough about the difficulties of styling black hair from internet friends to be sympathetic.
I remember that fad. It may not be offensive, but it's silly. And it doesn't have anything to do with these head coverings you're talking about, though I think hair rollers were included in the "nos".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education