Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:29 PM

98 posts, read 95,155 times

Advertisements

I had this plan drawn out that I wanted to go for my Master’s degree and work for a museum or historic site, but now I don’t know if I want to do it. I know the national park service is within the same field, so I was wondering if their employees needed a graduate degree to get a job. It might possibly be another path I want to go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
I had this plan drawn out that I wanted to go for my Master’s degree and work for a museum or historic site, but now I don’t know if I want to do it. I know the national park service is within the same field, so I was wondering if their employees needed a graduate degree to get a job. It might possibly be another path I want to go down.
I've known people who worked for them who didn't have graduate degrees. It depends on the job. Other than that, I know nothing about how to go about getting a job with them.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
I assume that like most agencies, they post their vacancies on USAJobs.gov, so check out a few of their listings and see what the requirements are.

As with any company anywhere, the qualifications you'll need depends on what you want to do. For some of their jobs, a graduate degree might be necessary or desirable. For others, high school might be fine. There isn't just one job in any agency or company with one set of requirements.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
NPS is where people with Master's degrees compete for GS-5 positions.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Do you mean you want to be a park historian? Because the park service is huge and had jobs ranging from federal police to wildlife biologists to a hundred other things. Some of the jobs under the science mission will certainly require an advanced degree, the interpretive stuff less so. But it is very, very hard to get a full time NPS job. Even the listings over at USAJOBS will make you think there are more openings than there are but it gives an idea of what types of jobs and requirements are out there.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
NPS is where people with Master's degrees compete for GS-5 positions.
Almost the entire federal government now days is where people with master's, JD's, and PhD's compete for GS-5-9 positions.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:23 PM

42 posts, read 57,740 times
Federal employment is affected by many factors, including current political climate, the funding of your specific agency, and your own qualifications. A common trend in many agencies is contracting out the work done by lower level employees. If you're looking for a federal job, working as a contractor might give you a leg up to know when fed jobs become available, but your contracting experience won't count as federal experience in your application.

I would not plan your life around seeking a federal job. If it's something you want though, plan on applying and then waiting up to a year before hearing anything. Plan on your first employment to be a 2-3 year "term" position, with the option to apply for a permanent job at the end of the term. The only sure legs up for federal employment are prior military experience, or prior federal experience. It's not uncommon for people to put some years in at less desirable posts, such as the prison system, to ultimately get a desirable position elsewhere.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Here's their website. https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/workwithus.htm

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:13 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Since you were planning on going to grad school anyway, I'd recommend you do that, as it will increase your chances not only of getting a job, but of moving up in the administrative hierarchy. To figure out what program to choose, look at job listings, and see what the requirements are. Forestry is one field that fits the bill. Probably a degree in the environmental science realm, too. You may need to do some science pre-requisites to qualify for entry into a grad program like that. It's a great goal, though, OP.

Aside from the NPS, there are also State park services. California has a huge state park system, for example. You could check out state park service job listings, too. And fyi, in order to get a job with just a BA, it would have to be a science-related BA, like biology or zoology. Job-wise, also consider the Fish & Wildlife Service.

Good luck, OP!

Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
My wife and I had a conversation about Park Service careers with an employee one time because it seemed like a potential career path for our son.

It sounds as though it's not an easy place to get a job--more people want to work there than they have openings. In addition, your assignment is totally at their mercy, so you could live in Vermont, as we do, and find that the only place with a job for you is Kentucky or North Dakota, so it could be you go there or no job.

Apparently there are also people who start out working at seasonal jobs for years before they can catch on with a permanent, full-time jobs.

Still, good luck if that's what you want to do. It's a real public service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education