Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 10:44 AM

137 posts, read 612,064 times

Advertisements

Ballroom Dance. Swing, Fox Trot, and various jazz style latin beats like rumba, tango, cha-cha, mambo. I've had a blast with it. Never had a problem getting the ladies to dance with me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 01:42 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
The only free electives I remember (and these were back in the dark ages of the late 60's - early 70's) were in Phys Ed. I was not very athletic, so I took archery, fencing, and modern dance. I still remember almost everyone in fencing class walking bowlegged for most of the first week of class.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:37 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
While in college, I took my many of my"free electives" in my minor, so I could graduate with a 2nd major. I don't remember that any of my curriculum had room for "free" electives. Within departments where I had to take so many credits for General Education, I enjoyed Sociology, Archeology, Anthropology, Personal Economics, Public Speaking and Applied Physics.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:59 PM

63 posts, read 36,638 times
I wanted to learn a few "social" sports, so I took bowling and tennis. I took several geography courses which I really enjoyed.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:09 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Took the "social sports" route too/lol....Billiards and Tennis to name a few.
(Business Admin Major.)

Old 12-20-2019, 03:22 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Scuba (high school)

Old 12-20-2019, 03:31 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times
I took 2 years of typing in high school. I'm glad I did. Really helpful for getting administration work and to be able to add in my resume my typing speed.

I also took childhood education where we took care of preschool kids part time. Also took home Ed and learned sewing and cooking.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:06 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
I took typing and a course called office equipment in high school~were helpful in college and I actually made money typing papers for people, and worked temporary jobs while home on Christmas break and while in graduate school.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:16 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
I graduated high school in 1988. The high school I went to had the option to take some college level electives in junior and senior year so I took Environmental Biology, Physics, Introduction to Limnology, Anatomy and Physiology, Geology, Abnormal Psychology, and Evolutionary Biology.

Undergrad college- I took Environmental Science, Physics II, Marine Biology, and Earth Science.

Grad degree-I took Calculus II, Advanced Statistical Methods, Mechanics I, Introduction to Probability, Design & Analysis of Algorithms.

I got my undergrad degree in business administration and grad degree in HR management but love science. I got bored so wanted something more challenging; hence the rough math classes for the free electives for the grad degree

Old 12-23-2019, 06:23 AM

804 posts, read 545,848 times
There are no such thing as "free" electives. Electives are requirements to graduate. Meaning you are being forced to take them and have nothing to do with the curriculum at all.

Take plant nursery, baking, Museum displaying. You can use these to get jobs in entry-level positions but again may or might not be a part of your curriculum.

In my college we had to take a science. I took up computer science intro to get that science credit. However they changed the graduation requirement to include a Biology science in order to produce Biology majors ( which is was lacking ). I had to take a dumb-down version of intro to Biology which was made so I did not have to actually pay for the materials and make it as less harsh as possible. My college even had a bunch of students protesting to take up the Bio. I

Electives are just there to fuel college funding. College dragging money out of your pockets. Take Math and English. Why should I have to take those in college and go into a major where I am not going to be using those things which I already know the basis for? The colleges make the biggest excuses for taking those classes and while "yes" I do learn things I could use I find I am not using those things at all.

I took intro to theater for example or Womans history. Great I learned about two worlds and have a different view of them. Hurray..............

That is what electives are. Like you could take intro to medical industry as an elective. I do not plan to study that. I could lie and claim I want to study but I need to see what it is about. Then decide to not take the following class the next year. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education