Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 10:34 AM

804 posts, read 546,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
and the teachers don't go through a bunch of crap explaining the agenda and answering a ton of questions about it from the entire class. He also likes that they don't spend so much time explaining everything as it is a small class, and he finds it much less stressful.
Op your kid is a young adult.

The bigger issue is "has the same thing been occurring in the previous school itself? Meaning "was your child telling the truth"?

I see groups of 13yo ( who could be seen as younger ) smoking in groups till their eyes turn red ( the skin under their eyes ) looking like zombies.

Honestly the way I see things is that at some point the people in the "disciplinary school" negotiated with him as a young man, and realize he is smarter then he is. You have to understand irregardless of laws you are only limited by other men and no man has the right to rule another man. Again man laws do not matter.

That being said I was reading and I have not heard about your spouse and where they play their role in all of this? All I have been reading is about how you "work in the district".

I will admit when I was younger I was a gifted student. I was sent to magnet schools and before that when I was with the "regular students". Before that I was a mean little kid or "saw the world in a different light". But when I was put with meaner kids the first time around my mentality changed due to the alienation. Right now that is what your son is experiencing. It is a new environment and he is scanning the area until he could find his place.

answering a ton of questions about it from the entire class

This is the teacher/professor making sure the class understands everything. I was one of those students who would race to raise their hands and everybody hated me for it. Asking questions is not wrong it is learning. What this disciplinary school is probably doing is just gliding through the class as fast as possible because the students probably believe they know everything when they might not understand everything. Stubbornness. Like Charlie Brown....whom wha whoom whahh whha whhwoompp

teachers don't go through a bunch of crap explaining the agenda

Again the teacher usually writes the AIM: and the AIM: is usually meant to be copied down and talked about and then questioned while going over the lesson which might be followed with a short quiz to see how much the student has soaked up.

small class

Are good as always and should be normal but the problem with small class sizes is when the teacher/professor is really and truly giving it their all and not staring down the student. A big problem with charter schools is that they put small class sizes but they might pass students even if they are failing. It is not the end of the world but they do it not to be closed down. I remember the good days when I was in classroom with fourty students, and even small class sizes. The problem is not the schools but the parents who are over-powered or underfunded by their children needs.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:10 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
You "have" autism?

When it comes to your child: get him privately evaluated.

Don't rely on the "public" and "free" BS.

I had my kid (for dyslexia) privately evaluated. He's both dysphonetic and dyseidetic and also has a touch of APD. Then I had the county evaluate him- after he had a good year of private tutoring for his dyslexia - $10K. What a waste of time that county eval was (paid for by tax dollars - I spend enough and not one of my 3 have ever set a foot in a public school)...because he wasn't they typical drooling or "acting out" while being "evaluated" by the county psychologist & some other person assigned to eval him - no IEP for him. He doesn't fit "the mold".

What a JOKE that was.

He's in a private school, so the private school works with the private eval. and the recommended private "IEP".

You need to get your kid figured out & get him help.

That is your job, as a parent.

Figure it out.
On the other hand, there are doctors out there who are known to give practically every child who is taken to them the diagnosis the parent wants. That was something our school had to deal with, too.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:30 PM

804 posts, read 546,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
On the other hand, there are doctors out there who are known to give practically every child who is taken to them the diagnosis the parent wants. That was something our school had to deal with, too.
I never trust medical doctors. Never trust any of them from when I was a kid. I remember I slide on the rough carpet and my nose was red for a long time. She carried me to the doctor and the bastard wanted to "cut off a piece of my nose", and claimed "my nose would grow improperly". He literally wanted to not only slice off a piece of my nose to examine but to operate on my nose. My mom gave the choice and of course I disagree with that. I mean no way no how.

That being said I remember seeing tons of children with thier noses sliced in a specific area.

I hate Medical doctors for that and the fact a guy prescribed pills of over insulin shots to my grandmother which caused her brain to crystallize and sent her into the emergency ward where she literally passed away. Before that she was walking with her cain at 89 years of age and did not need a wheel chair ( asides airport ).

Another instance is my cousin had been "molested" but we do not truly know what happen at all. The point is the state stepped in and had her in a ward. They gave her special pills. Those pills ( medication ) basically made her act out in certain ways like "suicide" and honestly nobody visited her and the people in the ward did not educate her at all. She literally tried to escape the ward and sneaked into a building. They only found out because the ward put everybody ( the entire staff on lock-down ) and eventually somebody cracked......

The point being all that time my cousin was being neglected by the ward ( the state ), her mother ( not blood related to me ) and all they did ( the state ) was keep her around so they have somebody safe to control and diagnose. She is now in a religious covenant of some sort.

Her neck looks like nobody told her to sit up for a long time. Only now she is getting better but honestly there is no human interaction at all with her. It is terrible. I have seen her on family trips and she has ideas and they are not wrong.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:17 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
I never trust medical doctors. Never trust any of them from when I was a kid. I remember I slide on the rough carpet and my nose was red for a long time. She carried me to the doctor and the bastard wanted to "cut off a piece of my nose", and claimed "my nose would grow improperly". He literally wanted to not only slice off a piece of my nose to examine but to operate on my nose. My mom gave the choice and of course I disagree with that. I mean no way no how.

That being said I remember seeing tons of children with thier noses sliced in a specific area.

I hate Medical doctors for that and the fact a guy prescribed pills of over insulin shots to my grandmother which caused her brain to crystallize and sent her into the emergency ward where she literally passed away. Before that she was walking with her cain at 89 years of age and did not need a wheel chair ( asides airport ).

Another instance is my cousin had been "molested" but we do not truly know what happen at all. The point is the state stepped in and had her in a ward. They gave her special pills. Those pills ( medication ) basically made her act out in certain ways like "suicide" and honestly nobody visited her and the people in the ward did not educate her at all. She literally tried to escape the ward and sneaked into a building. They only found out because the ward put everybody ( the entire staff on lock-down ) and eventually somebody cracked......

The point being all that time my cousin was being neglected by the ward ( the state ), her mother ( not blood related to me ) and all they did ( the state ) was keep her around so they have somebody safe to control and diagnose. She is now in a religious covenant of some sort.

Her neck looks like nobody told her to sit up for a long time. Only now she is getting better but honestly there is no human interaction at all with her. It is terrible. I have seen her on family trips and she has ideas and they are not wrong.
Wow.

The worst case I ever saw was the year I was student teaching. I had two fraternal twins, one boy and one girl in my class. Even after 33 years in education, I can say that these two kids were among the very most intelligent kids I ever worked with. One day I complimented the mother about them, and she told me a shocking story. The daughter had been diagnosed as so retarded (using the parlance of the day) that she had to be put in a full time institution. After several years one doctor began to doubt the diagnosis, and instead of being retarded, she was at the high end of gifted. She went home, received some type of therapy, and flourished as a teen.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:46 PM

412 posts, read 276,414 times
We'll look into it again, but we don't really see signs sign as the misunderstanding of communication.

I will admit there are some sensory things he needs that make it appear as he has some forms of autism. Such as, he is 11, but there are still many nights he is too under stimulated and anxious to go to sleep, but falls asleep shortly after getting his back rubbed while being told a story or sang to, and most people would tell me I'm coddling and babying an 11 year old for this, but he does have some sensory needs to calm down that often involve affection and being touched.

Some could consider him hugging teachers as not learning appropriate boundaries due to a disorder, but I think it's more reinforcement and learned behavior as the teachers sometimes initiate it and are accepting of it, and that's never been brought up. Kids his age try to hug me even as a sub, and I don't encourage or discourage it, so it might just be a cultural thing here in Texas.

Other than that, I don't see the trouble making friends, knowing when he's upsetting someone, or have trouble with the concept of personal space. The clinic said they only had ODD as a possible diagnosis.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,666,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
Or maybe they're suggesting it because their own child is a bully and they don't want them to get flattened, and have some stigma against those with emotional management issues, so are pretty much saying "f--- this guy's kid. I just don't want him near mine." That's what I'm going with.
Or maybe they would like your son to get the help he needs, instead of you making excuses like you think your son’s behavior is ok. I encourage my kids to try and be friends with everyone and I have never turned a child away from my door. That being said a child who behaves like yours does disrupts the whole class and is causing the average child to have less teacher time because your kid is taking up so much of her time. It’s only a matter of time before your kid really hurts someone else.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:44 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
or maybe they would like your son to get the help he needs, instead of you making excuses like you think your son’s behavior is ok. I encourage my kids to try and be friends with everyone and i have never turned a child away from my door. That being said a child who behaves like yours does disrupts the whole class and is causing the average child to have less teacher time because your kid is taking up so much of her time. It’s only a matter of time before your kid really hurts someone else.
+1.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:08 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Or maybe they would like your son to get the help he needs, instead of you making excuses like you think your son’s behavior is ok.
Let's be fair: the OP doesn't seem to have a problem with his kid remaining at the special school for now. It's the school district that has a rigid "45-days-only" policy regarding attendance at that school (and that policy is what the OP needs to fight, for the sake of his son's welfare).

Old 12-30-2019, 09:15 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,666,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Let's be fair: the OP doesn't seem to have a problem with his kid remaining at the special school for now. It's the school district that has a rigid "45-days-only" policy regarding attendance at that school (and that policy is what the OP needs to fight, for the sake of his son's welfare).
I am being fair, the OP has been rude and defensive throughout this thread.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,107,183 times
Someone way upthread mentioned military school.
The personnel there generally don't care how their students "feel." This could be the very thing the O.P.'s kid needs.

Parents in general (ALL you, not only the O.P.): Your kid/s are not special in any way. They are average. Dab your eyes and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education