Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:55 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Wow. I learned something - that the First Lady has regulatory powers! What else has been hidden from s these years? Please tell me more...
She personally didn't ban them. Checks and balances, you know. But she created the guidelines banning the seasonings. Then pushed them through the legislative branch somehow. Still, she wrote them, she's to blame.

What's that book about, anyway? Something concrete and practical or motivational self-help talk?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:25 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
She personally didn't ban them. Checks and balances, you know. But she created the guidelines banning the seasonings. Then pushed them through the legislative branch somehow. Still, she wrote them, she's to blame.

What's that book about, anyway? Something concrete and practical or motivational self-help talk?
The book is probably not "concrete and practical or motivational self-help talk" in the way you're probably thinking. It's a life story and very much about growing up black in America - probably not a topic you'd find interesting.

It's also the least preachy book I've read in quite a while.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:49 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The book is probably not "concrete and practical or motivational self-help talk" in the way you're probably thinking. It's a life story and very much about growing up black in America - probably not a topic you'd find interesting.

It's also the least preachy book I've read in quite a while.
Hmm... interesting. It sounds similar to "Raisin in the Sun" by Lorraine Hansberry. I read it in my urban multiculturalism class in college. It's about a poor black family who just got a life insurance windfall. The daughter decides to reconnect with her African heritage, and the rest of her family looks for a way to attain a better life with that money. I really liked it; if you overlook the racial elements, it reads a lot like an immigrant experience book.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:04 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Michelle's family was very middle class, at least for African Americans at the time. The family and community dynamics are fascinating. Her story of life at Princeton was an eye opener to me, since she immersed herself in black culture there.

The other surprise was that she seemed to have no axe to grind, and no moralizing.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
That's why you're getting little response. I would have liked her a lot more if the liberal media didn't fawn all over her no matter what she said or did by building up every action and playing down or totally ignoring every mis-step.
This. I have no issue with her life choices and I don't think she wasted her education. But the forced worship of.her in the media was always offputting. I have nothing against her and I liked her campaign against childhood obesity. But I didn't care for.her or her husband's politics and I think her book tour would be more believable if it didn't have the distinct appearance of being a cash grab that shut out the very people she claims to passionately care about. She is a woman of her time, for better or worse (mostly worse).

Old 05-18-2020, 06:55 PM

99 posts, read 50,025 times
I do agree that she lives well and is a positive social influence. In a racist, sexist and classist era, that’s a big enough achievement. I do think she could’ve done much more but it’s okay to live the way she enjoys.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Thread closed.While the book does touch on education, it's a biography and book reviews are not a subject for discussion in this forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education