Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 10:41 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Plus since the first grade, or maybe even kindergarten we had a different special each day. One day was P.E., one music, one computer class, one multi intelligence lab which I can't remember much of but I think it had art, reading, computer, etc, where you moved to different stations each week. So for those things we always switched rooms/teachers, but it was the whole class.
I remember little about kindergarten, but the only class we switched for was gym. And even there, our main teacher co-taught with the gym teacher. From 1st thru 4th grade, we had the main subjects (math, English/spelling/reading, social studies, science) in our regular classroom with our main teacher. Specialized subjects, like art, computing, or gym, took place in their own classrooms with subject-specific teachers.

Switching classrooms for every subject started in 5th grade for me. Outside visitors, like those god-awful DARE Campaign representatives or those low-fat nutrition preachers, always came to teach in the homeroom. That meant our first class was canceled in favor of the outside visitor. Occasionally, a different teacher would come in as a guest speaker for a particular subject, like someone with stronger training on a specific topic being taught. For example, our social studies teacher admitted that her concentration in college was classic history, and she invited another teacher to teach us for a week about electronic communications.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-20-2020 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM

20,640 posts, read 4,418,415 times
Well when I was in school it was slightly different.

Kindergarten was all in one, just had to go to gym class & library.

From 1st - 5th grade we stayed in class for the core classes, but switched for gym class, library, art class, music class, computer class

6th grade we had homeroom then switched for everything else. Some classes where class switch, others were based on learning levels. IE: For Science*, English*, Math*, History, gym, art class, computer class, library the whole class would switch rooms for the class. One teacher for each subject. *The classes were divided into Regents & NON-Regents students.

In Junior High 7th-8th we switched for all classes but had half year classes.
IE: 1/2 year Technology then 1/2 year Health. 1/2 year of Russian then 1/2 year Spanish

In High School 9th-12th we would need to take a full year of Technology, Health, and Spanish or Russian. We would need to decide what Diploma path we wanted to take Regents or NON-Regents. We had to take the appropriate classes (business, math, language, etc).

In 11th & 12th grade students could go to Votec (Boces) for half the day to learn a trade. But you still had to take the mandatory English, History & gym class.

IE: When I was going we had 8 classes & lunch. So if a student went to Votec in the morning their day went like this:
Come to school early to take the bus to Votec. Spend the first half of the day there. After that class they'd come back to school, check in with attendance and go to lunch. After lunch they finish the day.

My senior year went like this:

Period 1-4 Votec
Lunch
Period 5 History
Period 6 English
Period 7 Gym or Study hall / Early Dismissal - On the days I had study hall I just went home.
Period 8 ---- I didn't have a class

Old 08-21-2020, 05:25 AM

24,609 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Started in middle school.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:31 AM

52 posts, read 26,394 times
I went to a small rural school that was K-8, so I did not switch classrooms for various subjects until I went to high school. In K-8, if the teachers could not keep up with the brighter students needing more instruction, those students were assigned self study workbooks for subjects like algebra, chemistry, etc. This was back in the late 60s, early 70s. It was a good education.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Virginia ran middle school 7th and 8th grades, that's really when it started.. Other than a time when we had music or something and we went down to the music classroom or when we had health and went to a special classroom for it or something.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:58 AM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
No kindergarten for me (it was not required). I went to 1-8 school and it was 8th grade where we started switching to get us ready for HS.
This was way back in late 60's/ early 70's.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
For me it was 4th grade, back in 1961. They called it "team teaching" back then. We also started Spanish classes that year, with "Senora Wolf" teaching on closed circuit B & W TV, from the school district studio.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Hmm, I don't remember exactly how it went but for my kids they had their teachers switch off for some of the basic classes like math and english, starting in 4th grade. Things like art, music and PE of course were always in a different classroom. Beginning in 5th grade the students switched out for a couple of basic classes, and of course by 7th they switched for all classes.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,385 times
Fourth for math and reading.

My primary education was divided a little differently than most kids experience today. I attended elementary (k-3), intermediate (4-6), junior high (7-9), and high school (10-12).

Old 08-21-2020, 05:41 PM

1,234 posts, read 942,032 times
4th grade, then I went back to staying in my homeroom all day in 5th grade, then I start switching classrooms for different subjects for all my school years after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education