Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 03:49 PM

19,864 posts, read 18,144,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously, do your realize how many students are NOT doing well without face-to-face learning? This is especially true of special education students like my grandson who has autism, but it is also true of other students. Our younger students k-5 are especially likely to do poorly with remote learning even if they are motivated in subjects they do love.
Not to run defense for redguard57, however, he's on record noting what a disaster coronavirus has been for K-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 05:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,942,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not to run defense for redguard57, however, he's on record noting what a disaster coronavirus has been for K-12.
But he wants to get rid of k-12. What would he replace it with?

Old 01-10-2021, 05:08 PM

19,864 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Let's wait until he shows up.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously, do your realize how many students are NOT doing well without face-to-face learning? This is especially true of special education students like my grandson who has autism, but it is also true of other students. Our younger students k-5 are especially likely to do poorly with remote learning even if they are motivated in subjects they do love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, I know you do. :-)

This is nonsensical i.e. changing the environment via (more) online 'classrooms' doesn't change the fact school is an educational (as well as a social) 'institution'. That won't change, despite potential (and needed) restructuring down the pike.

Keep in mind online classrooms were a part of the landscape long before the pandemic.
You got me. I wanted to see if you guys would defend education in the abstract, or if I was dealing with radical libertarians who want to divest in public education as a concept.

I absolutely agree that 100% online school has been a disaster. Although I think we should look at how to optimize the online:classroom instruction ratios. I would increase the use of online instruction to about 10% of a student's load starting with about 8th grade, tapering it upward to about 20-25% online instruction by the end of college.

Quote:
despite potential (and needed) restructuring
The thing is - what would this restructuring look like? I assume you mean re-thinking the 13 grades of K-12 itself. Speaking for myself, my sense is we start doing poorly at about grade 7. Very inefficient.

Using myself as an example, between 8th grade and college graduation, I learned Algebra twice, U.S. History three times, Writing/Language Arts three times, Literature twice, beginning Spanish twice, etc.., etc., It seems to me starting with 8th grade we talk an awful lot at students and they don't learn anything, so they go to college and for the first two years to re-learn what they should have learned. Or worse, UN-learn it. I remember quite a few of my college professors going at length about how what we learned in high school was wrong, or woefully incomplete.

If you thought health care reform was hard, imagine education. Doing a change of a system that's goes back further than health care system by almost a century, will be MUCH harder.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:51 PM

8,707 posts, read 3,893,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm all for companies starting up their own education programs to compete with the university system.
Quote:

The thing is - what would this restructuring look like? I assume you mean re-thinking the 13 grades of K-12 itself.
Actually, you're wandering a bit, lol. Your post (which I responded to) was speaking to college (which is more relative to the thread).

Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Actually, you're wandering a bit, lol. Your post (which I responded to) was speaking to college (which is more relative to the thread).
Well, I technically DO endorse the private sector creating a competing education system with the public one if they think that the public one is inadequate. But I don't see the Amazons of the world setting up their own education academies that would directly compete with elementary-middle-high schools or colleges/universities. The private sector seems content with the current system in practice if not in rhetoric. (I think they are aware they couldn't do any better)

The topic of the thread was whether YouTube can replace academic instruction, at the college level or any level. I think I made my position clear - yes, online instruction can replace in-person instruction up to a point, maybe 20-25% max. Probably more like 10-15% in reality for most people.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:27 AM

42 posts, read 23,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh really?

Show me the youtube videos on Strength of materials, thermodynamics, and partial differential equations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGU...chEngTutorials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RX_...OpenCourseWare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiE...OpenCourseWare

Old 01-13-2021, 12:20 PM

8,707 posts, read 3,893,284 times
Quote:

The topic of the thread was whether YouTube can replace academic instruction, at the college level or any level.
Obviously, it's a nonsensical notion.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,350,663 times
So, basically, someone videos a lecture given in a standard classroom of a university. What you're saying is that videos of professors lecturing exist. Big woo. Not the same thing that's claimed by OP at all.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
So, basically, someone videos a lecture given in a standard classroom of a university. What you're saying is that videos of professors lecturing exist. Big woo. Not the same thing that's claimed by OP at all.
They bring to mind for me, watching a play on video. Yeah, I can watch Hamilton or Phantom of the Opera from a recording someone took. But it's not the same as actually being there to experience the play.

If you're going to make Hamilton into a screen presentation (aka a movie)... it has to be produced and presented entirely differently than it is on stage, to the extent that it's a whole different thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education