Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2021, 07:48 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
That scenario rarely comes up since the teachers who refuse to give A's tend to give a B to almost every student, not an F.

Such students should just be told that life isn't fair, just like the students who get stuck with hard teachers are told.
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this particular teacher you had. But I'm skeptical he/she ruined your life's chances at success. One class grade that was A or B, and one college acceptance or not doesn't make or break anybody. It's why you apply to multiple colleges.

As an example, a friend of mine's son last year got into all of his reach schools, half of his target schools, and only one of his so-called safety schools. Made no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2021, 08:11 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
In essence, the test score is more a reflection of the parents/home situation than the student.
I cannot believe that there are no talented students from less than wealthy homes who do well on standardized tests.

As others have mentioned, people tend to be wealthy because they are talented and they tend to have talented children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
That's called "grading on a curve." I always liked it - probably because I always "set the curve."
After I graduated from college I discovered there were people who dropped some classes when they found out I was in it because I "set the curve".

Old 04-04-2021, 08:18 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
After I graduated from college I discovered there were people who dropped some classes when they found out I was in it because I "set the curve".
Reading your posts, I'm not surprised at all!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:28 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I’m rolling my eyes reading people claiming they didn’t get into an Ivy because they had the “hard” AP biology teacher. Generally, that level of school requires top-5% intelligence. If you can’t cruise through a High School AP course with an A, there are lots of other things that will eliminate you, too.

In the real world, everyone doesn’t get a trophy.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:47 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Reading your posts, I'm not surprised at all!
Thanks!

Old 04-05-2021, 06:38 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How does that help the students that have already been screwed over? Damage is already done.
And that is why standardized tests are needed.

Quote:
I prefer an absolute scale, if the scale is made known in advance and the professor actually grades on it. That way I at least know what to study and what is expected of me. Grading on a curve puts students at risk of what others do on that particular test, not what is actually learned. For example, how would a professor curve this: 96 72 27 14 12 8. (Actual class scores from one of my exams in Mech 301). Is that a bad test, bad teaching or bad students?
But how do you stop teachers from not giving A's or from giving everybody A's?

Quote:
To be specific, the full ride scholarships at that college should be just what you're looking for -- they're awarded on standardized test scores, interview, and essay.

For the other two I mentioned, the min GPA is 3.5 and 3.0 respectively.

And yes, things have changed greatly since I was in college. These types of scholarships didn't exist at all. Back then you competed with all other students on academic merit. There was no leveling for the quality of high school in the process.
Again, our experiences were different, and we just have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
That's how forced ranking works. Doesn't matter the actual mix of abilities in the room only so many get an A. So how do you choose which of the A students get the B when you have more A students than A slots?
Again, there needs to be some flexibility to account for an unusually strong or unusually weak class.

Quote:
I think most people who oppose standardized tests see it as standardized tests do more damage to more people that's harder to overcome than an individual teacher can.
Again, my experience was different.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, I didn't claim that it did.

However, in my school system, the ultimate arbitrator of a questioned grade was the principal. And I occasionally used that power.

However, it was like many injustices -- fewer actual cases of unprofessional grading than claimed. And I was always quite sensitive to it because of my own experience back in high school.
And that is a perfect example of why we need standardized tests, since every high school has different policies. Since my high school allowed teacher grade overrides, the principal had basically no power to overturn a grade, since the teacher could always just claim that he/she was using a grade override.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this particular teacher you had. But I'm skeptical he/she ruined your life's chances at success. One class grade that was A or B, and one college acceptance or not doesn't make or break anybody. It's why you apply to multiple colleges.
So why is the same not said to students who underperform on standardized tests? That is the double standard I keep pointing out that not even one poster has attempted to answer.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m rolling my eyes reading people claiming they didn’t get into an Ivy because they had the “hard” AP biology teacher. Generally, that level of school requires top-5% intelligence. If you can’t cruise through a High School AP course with an A, there are lots of other things that will eliminate you, too.

In the real world, everyone doesn’t get a trophy.
The teacher that I had literally did not give A's! Nobody who had this teacher ever got into Ivy League schools! If you were stuck with this teacher, there was literally no way you could be in the top 5% of your graduating class!

My graduating class had 550 students. There were 4 sections of AP Bio, each with 24 students. Mr. G gave literally every student an A, regardless of performance, since he felt that even attempting college-level work in 10th grade was exceptional. Mr. E (the teacher I had) gave nobody an A, regardless of performance, since he felt that no 10th graders could truly be doing A level college work. The other 2 teachers, Mr. P and Dr. R graded fairly. 5% of 550 is 27.5. Remember, 24 students would get Mr. G and the automatic A. So, if Mr. P and Dr. R had even a combined total of 4 students who got an A (and they'd usually get far more than that), it meant that there was no way that any student who was suck with Mr. E could be in the top 5% of their class.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The teacher that I had literally did not give A's! Nobody who had this teacher ever got into Ivy League schools! If you were stuck with this teacher, there was literally no way you could be in the top 5% of your graduating class!

My graduating class had 550 students. There were 4 sections of AP Bio, each with 24 students. Mr. G gave literally every student an A, regardless of performance, since he felt that even attempting college-level work in 10th grade was exceptional. Mr. E (the teacher I had) gave nobody an A, regardless of performance, since he felt that no 10th graders could truly be doing A level college work. The other 2 teachers, Mr. P and Dr. R graded fairly. 5% of 550 is 27.5. Remember, 24 students would get Mr. G and the automatic A. So, if Mr. P and Dr. R had even a combined total of 4 students who got an A (and they'd usually get far more than that), it meant that there was no way that any student who was suck with Mr. E could be in the top 5% of their class.
You are assuming (likely wrongly) that every person in the all-A class only had As in every other class. A lot of people who take AP courses get Bs and even Cs. While they might not get them in that particular class, they presumably took at least 23 other courses in which they could receive a B.

I think the issue most of us have is that is very unlikely that one B in high school is going to change your life forever. A student with a 3.99 will have numerous good college and scholarship options. It may not be their dream scholarship/school, but even students with a 4.0 may have the same experience. If you let the 3.99 ruin your life, that is YOU, not your grades in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education