Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 06:57 PM

230 posts, read 215,659 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was in first grade, I had an accident in class where I pooped my pants. I was a very shy child, and I was too afraid to ask the teacher if I could use the restroom. This was the only accident I had. How often do these type of accidents occur in elementary school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 07:13 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
A girl in my third grade class peed her dress*. That was the first time I witnessed anyone having an accident after kindergarten or maybe first grade.

*(I was going to say pants, but in the 1960's girls were required to wear dresses to school).

Old 04-14-2021, 09:33 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
I peed in my pants in kindergarten when my teacher refused to allow me to go to the bathroom and I could not hold it any longer.

In 4th grade, a girl who supposedly had a bladder problem peed in her pants when the teacher refused to allow her an exception to his usual bathroom policy (each student could use the bathroom once in the morning and once in the afternoon). Nowadays, I think that teacher would have gotten in trouble for that.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:33 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Chron's Disease (an autoimmune condition) has been increasing. It's not unusual for a few children in the grade to have to deal with this problem. Today, students and teachers are more aware and understanding about medical issues or they can be sued.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:08 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
For most children it never happens. A few have bathroom accidents frequently, even as 4th and 5th Graders in classrooms with liberal bathroom break policies.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:24 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
I was never aware of any child who had an accident of this nature, and I never did. However, one of the girls in the neighborhood peed her bed nightly until she was at least 9 years old.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:05 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Not the same.....but several years ago when my son sat for the MCAT test, clearly everyone in attendance was a college graduate, a young woman began mumbling to herself and then she defecated in her seat within seconds a young man nearby vomited.

I'm 57yo. during my 3rd grade year, Huntington Mills Elementary School in PA, a kid (this kid was clearly severely mistreated at home - I remember his first and last name and recall during 2nd grade everyone was forced to brush their teeth in front of the school nurse and teacher DURING CLASS....upon brushing this kid's teeth/mouth erupted in blood like something from a vampire movie - he had never bushed his teeth before nor been to the dentist nor doctor so far as he could recall)...anyway this kid was a little sick and shart-himself during class. The psycho-tyrant-goofball teacher made this poor kid sit in the mess in the hall for a long time - maybe 30 minutes - to teach him a lesson.

I'm sure that poor kid ended up in a penitentiary or suffered an early death.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:18 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
I am a retired elementary school teacher, mostly 3 to 5 year olds or kindergarten age.

Bathroom accidents happen a lot more than people realize. Teachers are far more discreet about things like that then years ago. Most of the time the other students would have absolutely no idea. When I was a team teacher in kindergarten classes, one student or another would have a bowel or urinary accident perhaps once or twice a month. When I was a team teacher in Junior Kindergarten (four year olds) every child brought a change of clothing. Even though their was a bathroom inside the classroom, possibly once every week or two someone would have a bathroom accident.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:06 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am a retired elementary school teacher, mostly 3 to 5 year olds or kindergarten age.

Bathroom accidents happen a lot more than people realize. Teachers are far more discreet about things like that then years ago. Most of the time the other students would have absolutely no idea. When I was a team teacher in kindergarten classes, one student or another would have a bowel or urinary accident perhaps once or twice a month. When I was a team teacher in Junior Kindergarten (four year olds) every child brought a change of clothing. Even though their was a bathroom inside the classroom, possibly once every week or two someone would have a bathroom accident.
My kindergarten teacher was definitely not discreet about my accident. She went out of her way to publicly shame me.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I remember when I was in first grade, I had an accident in class where I pooped my pants. I was a very shy child, and I was too afraid to ask the teacher if I could use the restroom. This was the only accident I had. How often do these type of accidents occur in elementary school?
Kindergarten/First grade especially relatively common.

My mother was a school nurse. She said taht kids that age can get distracted and before they know it it's a 5 alarm emergency and they just don't make it. The other culprit is sometimes they'll struggle with their outfit like getting a belt undone, or both clips of overalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education