Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 12:47 PM

460 posts, read 608,941 times

Advertisements

And that is how it works here, but with minimum staffing and minimum state and local requirements of time in each subject including recess and physical education, changing a schedule affects every one else's schedule. I think the kids might eat more or be less interested in conversing if recess is first, but it also requires adding minutes to the school day and to the all the employees day to get those minimum requirements done in a certain order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 03:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
And that is how it works here, but with minimum staffing and minimum state and local requirements of time in each subject including recess and physical education, changing a schedule affects every one else's schedule. I think the kids might eat more or be less interested in conversing if recess is first, but it also requires adding minutes to the school day and to the all the employees day to get those minimum requirements done in a certain order.
Switching recess to before lunch does NOT require more time. All that happens is that you change the placement of recess - you do not add or subtract time.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:08 PM

927 posts, read 585,951 times
Quote:
This might seem like an easy fix, but it comes up about once a decade in our small district.

The school board is requiring the kids to have recess before lunch because they think that kids might throw away less food. They did not ask the cooks or the school principals for input and did not look at the requirements in how many minutes the students must attend school. At least 2 other times this has been suggested, it has also been mentioned that the students would need to attend school an extra 3 hours a week, the one cook at each school would most likely put in an extra 2 hours each week to give the kids more than 2 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Our district wants to save money, but everytime this is suggested we spend hours explaining it, and it is realized it can't be done. Our kids are on a federal school lunch program which requires that they be given a full and healthy meal yet the kids only choose to eat the things they want to, like normal children.
I agree with it however. It will make kids throw away less food because they are burning more calories and are too full to exercise after lunch they can't move a muscle. It's better this way but it's wrong for no input.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:26 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
I'll tell you why kids throw so much food away in the school cafeteria -- the food sucks. It sucked when I was in school. It sucked for the 13 years I was a teacher. It sucked for the 20 years I was a school administrator. It's edible, and nothing more.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:36 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll tell you why kids throw so much food away in the school cafeteria -- the food sucks. It sucked when I was in school. It sucked for the 13 years I was a teacher. It sucked for the 20 years I was a school administrator. It's edible, and nothing more.
And it's gotten worse since you retired.

Old 04-03-2022, 03:09 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And it's gotten worse since you retired.
How sad.

I loved the food when I was in school. I learned to eat so many different things. Sometimes I would order two lunches when it was something I really liked. Our lunch women were the best!

Only one complaint. They HAD to give us stewed tomatoes once in a while.

Old 04-03-2022, 03:30 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How sad.

I loved the food when I was in school. I learned to eat so many different things. Sometimes I would order two lunches when it was something I really liked. Our lunch women were the best!

Only one complaint. They HAD to give us stewed tomatoes once in a while.
When I was in high school (1966-72) the meals were "real" (spaghetti, roast beef sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy, etc.) and prepared on-site. When I started teaching in the 1980s, in a different state, they still were "real" and prepared on-site.

At some point they started to transition to what the kids have today. I was told that since so many kids rarely get a meal at home that they're used to chicken nuggets and other fast food type meals.

One other thing that happened in my school system was that the meals started being prepared off-site and hauled to the school so the cafeteria workers didn't cook any longer but were just tray fillers. Deserts were gone (although the ala carte line sold ice cream sandwiches and what not).

Portions got smaller and seasoning became verboten. The trucked in French fries were baked so they were limp and soggy.

The kids still threw that dreck out. Having said that there was waste when I was in school, too. Why I remember this I don't know but my high school always served prunes with the spaghetti. Those nearly always got tossed.

Well, except when a couple kids decided to have a contest over who could eat the most. One kid downed over a hundred, the other only got into the 50s. He was eating the pits as well as the prunes.

Don't ask me why I remember that. No, I wasn't one of the contestants.

Old 04-03-2022, 04:04 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
There are two reasons that the food is worse. One is cost-cutting, like off-site preparation. The other is that the regulations regarding what foods and how much of them are supplied have probably increased 10-fold (at least) in the past 20 years. Schools can't just stop the prunes and replace them with peaches, or switch wheat bread to white bread.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
This might seem like an easy fix, but it comes up about once a decade in our small district.

The school board is requiring the kids to have recess before lunch because they think that kids might throw away less food. They did not ask the cooks or the school principals for input and did not look at the requirements in how many minutes the students must attend school. At least 2 other times this has been suggested, it has also been mentioned that the students would need to attend school an extra 3 hours a week, the one cook at each school would most likely put in an extra 2 hours each week to give the kids more than 2 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Our district wants to save money, but everytime this is suggested we spend hours explaining it, and it is realized it can't be done. Our kids are on a federal school lunch program which requires that they be given a full and healthy meal yet the kids only choose to eat the things they want to, like normal children.
Here's ^ the OP, if you'd like to discuss cafeteria food, please find another place.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Fewer kids will puke up the lunch they just ate before going out to run around in the 100 degree heat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education