Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 08:12 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Are you familiar with Tara Westover's story? Maybe you know about her memoir?

She's a remarkable example of success by determination, and is definitely the American dream in certain respects.

I Am Not Proof of the American Dream
The architecture of my life was defined by money, meaning its absence, right down to the alarm blaring at 3:40 a.m. The night shift paid a dollar more, $6.35 an hour instead of $5.35. Never mind that my roommates blasted music until midnight, so that on a typical night, I got around three hours of sleep; never mind that I was dozing through my lectures, or that I spent the entire winter with a raspy cough and string of unexplained sinus infections.
https://puffnachrichten.com/opinion/...n-dream/10934/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-22-2022 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Please don't post more than three sentences of a quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 08:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Ms. Westover wrote the book, Educated several years ago and it was on the bestseller list. I would guess that a lot of people read it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:30 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
I read a news piece about the guy a while back. But no book. One thing he gets wrong is the notion that middle class parents can't pay for their kids college. There are simply way too many examples of people doing exactly that.

Anecdotes a woman in my wife's company, no dad around, on a admins salary put three thorough medical school and one through law school.

A woman who works for me, dad is in and out of prison and not involved, put all three of her kids through college.

He is right stating that the days of kids working their way through college via odd jobs with no debt are over unless someone chooses a long route.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I read a news piece about the guy a while back. But no book. One thing he gets wrong is the notion that middle class parents can't pay for their kids college. There are simply way too many examples of people doing exactly that.

Anecdotes a woman in my wife's company, no dad around, on a admins salary put three thorough medical school and one through law school.

A woman who works for me, dad is in and out of prison and not involved, put all three of her kids through college.

He is right stating that the days of kids working their way through college via odd jobs with no debt are over unless someone chooses a long route.
The author of this piece and the book is a woman.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The author of this piece and the book is a woman.
Yikes Tara and all. I had had her pictured as a man.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:13 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Are you familiar with Tara Westover's story? Maybe you know about her memoir?

She's a remarkable example of success by determination, and is definitely the American dream in certain respects.

I Am Not Proof of the American Dream
The architecture of my life was defined by money, meaning its absence, right down to the alarm blaring at 3:40 a.m. The night shift paid a dollar more, $6.35 an hour instead of $5.35. Never mind that my roommates blasted music until midnight, so that on a typical night, I got around three hours of sleep; never mind that I was dozing through my lectures, or that I spent the entire winter with a raspy cough and string of unexplained sinus infections.
https://puffnachrichten.com/opinion/...n-dream/10934/
OT - do you know what he name of your news source translates to

Old 02-23-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
OT - do you know what he name of your news source translates to
Now that is interesting.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:19 PM

31 posts, read 39,272 times
I actually got the chance to meet her. She is very left wing and wants to turn things into a race debt. She is white. I don't take her seriously. She provides no answers and is imo bitter. She also claims to be a survivor of incest. Listening to her was like someone just throwing random things and going with whatever stuck. If I were being nice, I would say her stories are embellished.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:31 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Not sure what the title is supposed to imply, and yes she does come across as somewhat bitter (e.g. her parents "kept her out of school" rather than homeschooling her).

She certainly does seem like the embodiment of the American Dream, writing a bestseller after working her way through college, although it seems she could have picked more considerate roommates.

My wife came from a similar impoverished white working-class background, and worked her way through college to achieve bachelor's and master's degrees. We have been able to provide for our own sons, and yet they both worked part time throughout their own college careers and they thrived. So we instilled some of that old American Dream work ethic in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education