Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 08:55 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Background on myself. I’m 53 and worked the past 22.5 years in a hospital boiler room and before that 8 years in the US Navy in the engine room of steam driven ships. My father was a drop out who earned his GED while in the Navy in Vietnam. Dad went to work in the oil field, moved up to management, was the first in his shop/office to learn computer programming and computer drafting on CAD. I’ve worked with high school graduates and university graduates. Both groups have smart individuals as well as complete and total idiots. Some people in mechanical fields learn through hands on experience. Some who learn well in classroom doesn’t necessarily pass on that learning when conducting hands on applications. Some I know in the mechanical fields entered the work after a trade school, community college, or worked their way up from entry level positions. Some of them who are motivated to one to take night courses to further their education towards management and owning their own company. These are the types who won’t automatically dismiss the knowledge and experience of those who didn’t go to university. Hands on experience in mechanical fields is more informative to what’s going wrong or right with the job than what is found in a book. The manual may offer insight but we often find things either not covered in the manual or things where the manual is wrong. Fluid dynamics can create some very interesting problems that are hard to diagnose without hands on experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 12:45 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Some blue-collar jobs such as being a truck driver just aren't appealing at all to the younger crowd.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:13 PM

206 posts, read 136,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Some blue-collar jobs such as being a truck driver just aren't appealing at all to the younger crowd.
There are so many technical / blue collar opportunities, I do wonder if many counsellors / advisors know exhaustively.

Some kids really don't like to get dirty, so go into medical technology, or electro-tech, Transportation scheduling and logistics, inspection, design services, Community planning, health and nutrition, grant writing....

There is a pretty big list of available green card skilled jobs, in USA, UK and Australia.

But the lists of skilled jobs from BLS is huge.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:53 PM

788 posts, read 1,741,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
College is more than just about partying. Its about teaching students to be able to write, learn, and think critically. Traditionally you get a lot of this in the first two years of university.

I know trade schools are hot today. I think people are looking at it as a less expensive and less time commitment than a traditional college education. That's perfectly fine.

One can do do a lot on learning on your own. But seriously how many people that just graduated from high school and are interested in becoming a machinist are going to sit down and write a 2000 word essay? It matters. We often hear that public education (up to 12th grade) in our country is in the crapper. So, they aren't going to learn the skills there. You will learn how to write, do math, think critically in college classes. Its important to have these skills.

All that said, if some wants to be a welder or plumber more power to you. If my kids go this route I'd be fine with it. However, I would highly advise that they combine it with an AA or AS program so that they can get some of these fundamental courses down. A two year degree (AA, AS, AAS) that can be tied together with a program for a trade is the way to go if you want to go in the trades. A local two year/ tech trade school should have these programs, correct? Being able to think and write is important-- for the blue collar worker, just as much as it is for the white collar worker.

Is this a good idea? Or am I off my rocker? Thoughts?

If you know more about the trades, about the programs and how/if they can be tied together with a degree program (AA/AS, AAS) please educate me
If you are attending a community college with intent of becoming a mechanic, welder, cosmetologist, etc you will be getting an Associate of Applied Science degree (although sometimes they offer certificates which don't require gen ed classes) and will need to take the required college level English, math, science, elective, etc classes along with the "tech" classes to earn the degree.

These programs usually require a certain score on the ACT/SAT and/or high school GPA for entrance.

Some people learn the skill "on the job" or thru an apprenticeship. However In order to get a license, if the job requires it, they have to take a test (written or hands on), have documented certain number of hours performing the work.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:55 AM

377 posts, read 274,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Being able to think and write is important-- for the blue collar worker, just as much as it is for the white collar worker.
You speak as if you know what you are talking about. No, being able to write is not as important as it is for a white collar worker. You don't even need to know english to be a tradesmen in construction. There are no english or speaking classes in trade schools. You never need to write and communication skills aren't vital like they are with white collar jobs. You aren't writing emails and actually sounding too intelligent could hurt you in the field.

Old 07-16-2022, 11:43 PM

206 posts, read 136,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
You speak as if you know what you are talking about. No, being able to write is not as important as it is for a white collar worker. You don't even need to know english to be a tradesmen in construction. There are no english or speaking classes in trade schools. You never need to write and communication skills aren't vital like they are with white collar jobs. You aren't writing emails and actually sounding too intelligent could hurt you in the field.
That's a very biased and conflicting reply.

I have never experienced that working Engineering or trades. ("sounding too intelligent")

I have never been heavy into Union employment, so maybe that is coming from there, but... If you are NOT articulate in any position (skilled or white collar), you will not be well received or entrusted with responsibility leading to a progressive career.

Idiots are idiots (and recognized as such).

Management / white collar is FULL of them. They (management) have no 'tangible results' from their daily tasks, so they can stay invisible, and incredibly stupid for yrs. Then one day, hopefully they are gone! The sooner the better.

Skilled workers who are stupid, may get killed or kill coworkers due to carelessness on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education