Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Education: university, college, teacher, scholarship, liberal, conservative.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 AM

161 posts, read 384,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianspringsguy View Post
It may seem that way, but nothing could be further from the truth. A good education encourages independent and creative thinking. It enables those who think differently to succeed as well. Many of our "under performing" children are doing so not because they are incapable but because we have a difficulty in reaching them. There are so many barriers. Anyone left behind is because we abandon them, not because there is no one exceeding their capabilities. Some of the most brilliant people in our society cannot make good grades. The ability to mimic others and recant others' ideas and thought is not a decent education. The ability to think is our most precious commodity in our youth.
I am a middle school math teacher in Florida and appreciate the points your post brought up. I got my undergrad in psychology, because I knew that in order for me to teach I needed to understand the kids I was teaching. I put my own time and money into projects that force kids to visually interpret math. A very small percentage of kids learn from simply listening and repeating, the vast majority of kids (especially in middle school) learn in a hands on manner. Being able to see the way math works enables them to understand why math works. I follow the curriculum but differently then my fellow teachers. I became a teacher because I was one of the many kids that didn't learn from my teachers words but needed a more hands-on, visual approach. Unfortunately No Child Left Behind isn't allowing for every kid to get the education they need and deserve. I hear people complaining that this new generation of kids is a product of liberals, it's actually a product of too much TV, video games and a lack of reading. Our educational system has failed many wonderful kids but our society has also failed. This younger generation is vastly undereducated compared to previous because parents have left the teaching up to schools and video/TV are left to babysit while school is not in session. Instead of blaming our political affiliation, we should be blaming ourselves, for not holding our kids or ourselves accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
This younger generation is vastly undereducated compared to previous because parents have left the teaching up to schools...
This sounds like you believe that schools are not the place for students to be receiving an education - that parents, not schools, should be teaching students.

Kids are in school 35+ hours each week. That's roughly equivalent to a full-time job, even before a couple of hours of homework gets added on each day for late elementary, middle, and high school students (projects, problem sets, reading assignments, essays, research papers, etc).

Is it common for teachers to think that parents should be teaching their children at home after kids have spent 7+ hours in school and an additional 2+ hours on homework each day because teaching should not be left up to the schools?

Family life and free time to pursue interests and hobbies should absolutely not be sacrificed to make up for the disaster of ineffectiveness our country's public school systems have become. Everyone needs interests and pursuits outside of academics (and work) for a healthy balance.

Quote:
...and video/TV are left to babysit while school is not in session.
While there are questionable offerings available on TV/video that students shouldn't be watching - and monitoring this is a parental responsibility, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that after a 9+ hour school/homework day plus additional time for traveling to and from school that students would want to unwind a little by watching some TV/videos when they are not playing/hanging out with friends (socialization!), or going to dance/music class, or sports practices/games (well-roundedness!).

I believe the exact opposite of what you've said... schools should get back to teaching - and in a much more rigorous and effective manner!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 AM

161 posts, read 384,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This sounds like you believe that schools are not the place for students to be receiving an education - that parents, not schools, should be teaching students.

Kids are in school 35+ hours each week. That's roughly equivalent to a full-time job, even before a couple of hours of homework gets added on each day for late elementary, middle, and high school students (projects, problem sets, reading assignments, essays, research papers, etc).

Is it common for teachers to think that parents should be teaching their children at home after kids have spent 7+ hours in school and an additional 2+ hours on homework each day because teaching should not be left up to the schools?

Family life and free time to pursue interests and hobbies should absolutely not be sacrificed to make up for the disaster of ineffectiveness our country's public school systems have become. Everyone needs interests and pursuits outside of academics (and work) for a healthy balance.

While there are questionable offerings available on TV/video that students shouldn't be watching - and monitoring this is a parental responsibility, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that after a 9+ hour school/homework day plus additional time for traveling to and from school that students would want to unwind a little by watching some TV/videos when they are not playing/hanging out with friends (socialization!), or going to dance/music class, or sports practices/games (well-roundedness!).

I believe the exact opposite of what you've said... schools should get back to teaching - and in a much more rigorous and effective manner!
Perhaps I may have started with one point and ended with a separate one, but I am for the schools doing MORE teaching. Kids should be getting the best education possible from their schools, as they are there 40hrs/week. I am a teacher and I work very hard at giving my kids as much knowledge as they can take in, I want them to leave my class with more than just an understanding of math. I put my own time and money into achieving that goal and often spend numerous hours outside the classroom thinking of new ways to challenge them. I'm not content lecturing, handing out tests and calling it a day. Homework is essential to the development of any child, not just for learning the material but for learning organization and time management. If these kids were never held accountable for homework then how are they ever going to learn responsible behavior? I don't think they need to get swamped with homework but they do need some, it's an important learning tool.

Watching a fixed amount of TV/Video games per week is not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to kids who do NOT socialize, instead they sit inside all day. When I was a kid, I don't even remember shows that I watched. I spent most my time outside being a kid, experiencing the world. When I talk to my kids about real life experiences, they almost always refer it back to some TV show character or video game character. Where are the real people in their lives? I agree with having a well rounded life as kids, they need to be kids and not swamped with 10+ hrs of homework, compared to adults they have a busier life than most of us. But the problem is they are NOT as well rounded as they used to be, and this is evident from the removal of PE classes from schools, rising obesity in young kids and a rise in the number of behavioral disorders (ADHD, COD). When kids sit in front of the TV for hours they become more destructive in classrooms, more argumentative with adults and more socially isolated. You can compare kids to a puppy's behaviors, if the puppy is not exercised both physically and mentally, he will take out that energy onto something less desirable.

I think schools should be teaching kids more and more aggressively, I get so frustrated with fellow teachers who just give up. It is our job to give these kids an education they deserve, it is the parent's jobs to ensure their kids are using that education to develop into upstanding citizens.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
Perhaps I may have started with one point and ended with a separate one, but I am for the schools doing MORE teaching. Kids should be getting the best education possible from their schools, as they are there 40hrs/week. I am a teacher and I work very hard at giving my kids as much knowledge as they can take in, I want them to leave my class with more than just an understanding of math. I put my own time and money into achieving that goal and often spend numerous hours outside the classroom thinking of new ways to challenge them. I'm not content lecturing, handing out tests and calling it a day.
What you've just described is a calling, not just merely a job. Thank goodness for teachers like you!

Quote:
Homework is essential to the development of any child, not just for learning the material but for learning organization and time management. If these kids were never held accountable for homework then how are they ever going to learn responsible behavior? I don't think they need to get swamped with homework but they do need some, it's an important learning tool.
Very true. Carefully planned and reasonable amounts of homework assignments are invaluable learning tools and should be a part of each student's education.

Quote:
I agree with having a well rounded life as kids, they need to be kids and not swamped with 10+ hrs of homework, compared to adults they have a busier life than most of us.
Do people really realize how busy schoolkids are? For older kids, it easily tops 10+ hours each day.

Quote:
But the problem is they are NOT as well rounded as they used to be, and this is evident from the removal of PE classes from schools, rising obesity in young kids and a rise in the number of behavioral disorders (ADHD, COD). When kids sit in front of the TV for hours they become more destructive in classrooms, more argumentative with adults and more socially isolated. You can compare kids to a puppy's behaviors, if the puppy is not exercised both physically and mentally, he will take out that energy onto something less desirable.
Some of that may be true, but some of that is also related to the huge time demands school and homework have placed on kids, forcing them to be mostly sedentary for 10+ hours each day - all the while achievement levels continue to be disappointing. Why are we spending so much time and money wih so little to show for it?

Quote:
I think schools should be teaching kids more and more aggressively, I get so frustrated with fellow teachers who just give up. It is our job to give these kids an education they deserve, it is the parent's jobs to ensure their kids are using that education to develop into upstanding citizens.
Oh, yes. Parents do need to maintain high expectations, too, or the good schools'/teachers' efforts will not be as effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education