Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 08:27 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, one wonders from where all the news stories are coming from then.

As to the subject of "rabble rousers", maybe not that but I have heard certain colleges referred to "the biggest high school in the state".

Finally, I was in one acting class, for the camera, where one of my classmates wasn't quite outwardly disruptive but wasn't interested in the mission of the class, such as more in socializing. I remember during one take with the camera rolling, the director (prof) had to call "CUT!" mid scene because she could hear him talking in the background. For the actress classmate doing the scene, that disruption really upset her work.

As the prof said in his final review, "you need to figure out why you are in this class for otherwise, you are taking a place from someone who really wants to be here.".

If I were Siress, I would have a way to point out to the other students ahead of time of which classmates are there for fun and not to learn.
When you said, "I would find a way to publish the class roster before the first day so others could see who are the rabble rousers and switch to other sections before their money is wasted", that implied that there would be rabble rousing IN CLASS. Or perhaps the term "rabble rousers" was ill chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 09:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When you said, "I would find a way to publish the class roster before the first day so others could see who are the rabble rousers and switch to other sections before their money is wasted", that implied that there would be rabble rousing IN CLASS. Or perhaps the term "rabble rousers" was ill chosen.

Well, keep in mind that we are rather talking fantasy here because......federal regulations forbid public posting of any student information that may be identified to the student (essentially).

Old 10-20-2022, 12:46 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
If I were Galactic Emperor of America's Education?
END all public funding of education, as well as any legal requirement for "approved" curriculum or credentials.

No parent will spend their own money to send their child(ren) to a school that can't teach what they want, nor tolerates disruption, nor spends more resources on sports than academics (unless that is what they want).

FREE CHOICE IS SUPERIOR TO NO CHOICE.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:01 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If I were Galactic Emperor of America's Education?
END all public funding of education, as well as any legal requirement for "approved" curriculum or credentials.

No parent will spend their own money to send their child(ren) to a school that can't teach what they want, nor tolerates disruption, nor spends more resources on sports than academics (unless that is what they want).

FREE CHOICE IS SUPERIOR TO NO CHOICE.
If you end all public funding of education, then you doom millions of children to a life of illiterate poverty.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:47 PM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
1) eliminate the federal department of education

2) eliminate all teachers unions, & any unions in the public education field

3) allow school choice everywhere

4) allow school vouchers so parents can get a tax credit on the ed part of their property taxes, so public schools would have to compete against private schools for students.

5) make school year round until America is rated #1 in the World

Old 10-20-2022, 08:27 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

4) allow school vouchers so parents can get a tax credit on the ed part of their property taxes, so public schools would have to compete against private schools for students.

1 no
2 no
3 no
4 no
5 no

Old 10-20-2022, 08:31 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:

Eliminate teachers unions--yes. The first time I ever saw real trouble and division between teachers and administration was when I was teaching at a school with a union. Union went on strike. It was so much better at the previous school where the principal really was our "pal." We didn't have many administrators either and that was a good thing because the teachers got to teach and to teach the way that worked best for them.

Emphasize spelling and punctuation and grammar the way they used to. It's getting hard to read what kids write with all the apostrophe abuse, sentince subjects not agreeing with the verbs, misspelled words, and so on. Language is important if we are going to communicate.

I would not merely use phonics for teaching reading because not every child learns that way. Some learn better by look-see; others learn better by a combiniation and still others probably learn better by some method that I don't even know of. But we know each kid learns differently. I don't think I would ever have been such a good reader if I had been bogged down by phonic.

Definitely stop trying to re-invent the wheel by coming up with "new" methods all the time. It's usually just done for the money and anyway there's usually nothing really new about it. Use the tried and true methods unless there is really something new.

More social workers in schools and, as for visiting the homes, that would be the assignment for the social worker, not the teacher. I did visit one home when I was teaching because I was so concerned and I learned why those kids were messed. It helped me to know how to deal with them and I had sympathy for those kids after that visit. But the teacher probably shouldn't be the one making these visits. A social worker is more qualified and there is a great need for more of them in schools.

Just a few ideas. Writing all of our ideas would fill an entire book!

Old 10-20-2022, 09:52 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
I would allow the unions, but eliminate their ability to strike and their ability to collectively bargain. Then, their main purpose would be helping teachers with grievances and lobbying the legislatures. That's how it works in Texas.

Old 10-20-2022, 10:13 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I would allow the unions, but eliminate their ability to strike and their ability to collectively bargain. Then, their main purpose would be helping teachers with grievances and lobbying the legislatures. That's how it works in Texas.
I would be almost the opposite. The real problem with teachers unions is the fact that they can, and do, lobby legislatures, Congress, ED, and various state and local agencies and boards. Education would be much better off if all they did was focus on collective bargaining and grievances.

Just go to the NEA website and look at its lobbying agenda. How little of it is devoted to things like educational quality, teacher quality, or outcomes and how much is devoted to various social agenda items.

Or look at the AFT, such as here: https://www.aft.org/about/resolutions Where is the focus on EDUCATION in that?

Old 10-21-2022, 12:00 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
I haven't read this entire thread, but suspect that "what would I do about the schools" is a loaded question from the start.

Most recent Gallup poll shows that about 80% of parents are satisfied with their kid's education and that this share hasn't changed a lot of the past 20 years. (see here:https://news.gallup.com/poll/399731/...-low-side.aspx)

Interestingly, it also shows that among ALL adults, not just parents, a favorable view of education has plummeted among GOP voters since 2020, which leads one to think that dissatisfaction with K-12 schools is very much a partisan issue, not an educational issue.

But everyone know that schools in poor areas have worse educational outcomes. So if I could be king, I'd do everything I could to alleviate poverty, urban and rural; a universal basic income, easily accessible health care, strong cheap or free Internet service everywhere, and a guarantee of decent housing in mixed-income neighborhoods--and barring that a return to sending kids attend schools in such neighborhoods. Plenty of research shows that place makes a difference in life outcomes fr all sorts of reasons. (see here: https://www.cbpp.org/blog/groundbrea...ildren-succeed)

Yeah, it'll never happen. And yeah, there would still be neglectful parents--who, by the way, are plentiful among the affluent and rich as well. (It's the very wealthy an the very poor IMO who are most f'd up in general.) But no deep poverty in the U.S. and we could stop parent-blaming, teacher scolding, and fight about phonic and sex education. As equals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education