Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 09:28 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and 'public school teachers now influence and instruct in morality?'

Hope not.

Seems that might be OP's point (morality), but USA public edu is the antonym of instruction in morality.

Moral and values are not the instructional duty of academic information.
Teach the students to learn, investigate, collect thorough information. It's not the educators role (or capability) to interpret and 'convince' the 'morality' of that information and the evaluation process.

Please NO! Maybe that's why public schooled kids sit on their hands and wait for instruction (the rest of their life). They were not taught, or allowed to THINK and REASON!

Morales are not formed in the classroom. (unfortunate news to the NEA, don't tell them)
You'd be more than happy if they were teaching your version of morality.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You'd be more than happy if they were teaching your version of morality.
Your graspoing at straws, As clearly stated... I don't feel it is of the duty or interest for public schools to teach
morality' at all. It is not their role, expertise, or capability.

My Morality? of what do you know that I don't?
I've never said anything of the sort, nor do I hear homeschoolers expressing that. WE are in control of our education proceedures, and don't dictate to Public Schools how they teach (Tho many of us ARE public school teachers as well as home schoolers, and increasing rapidly ! ) Our students learn their morality long before attending their home school. We have to 'deprogram' each day due to curriculum agenda, just as public school parents must do, but we have a LOT closer observation, since we KNOW the content delivered, and how it is delivered.

Homeschoolers Being Taught Neo-Nazi, White Supremacist Curriculum

Guess it's time to put down the swords (and purposely false accusations) and look at the actual curriculum.

Old 02-12-2023, 07:44 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
and 'public school teachers now influence and instruct in morality?'

Hope not.

Seems that might be OP's point (morality), but USA public edu is the antonym of instruction in morality.

Moral and values are not the instructional duty of academic information.
Teach the students to learn, investigate, collect thorough information. It's not the educators role (or capability) to interpret and 'convince' the 'morality' of that information and the evaluation process.

Please NO! Maybe that's why public schooled kids sit on their hands and wait for instruction (the rest of their life). They were not taught, or allowed to THINK and REASON!

Morales are not formed in the classroom. (unfortunate news to the NEA, don't tell them)
I agree that there are a lot of problems with schools, but the teachers are not the problem. It is those who are supervising them.

Also, I want to comment on the bolded parts. You said that kids sit on their hands and wait for instruction. Yet, you say they were not taught. To be "taught", you have to sit and wait for instruction. You can't have it both ways. Now I agree that children are not given enough time to think and reason.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:38 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
From the OP's link.....the state has not found anything yet. These are allegations.
But, of course!

The source is CNN which has ZERO credibility. It's sensationalism at its finest.

Having said that, why are people surprised?

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

If you're gonna teach White people are evil then you should fully expect some people to take the position that White people are supreme.

The whole reason home-schooling caught fire is because schools weren't teaching. They were and still are politicizing and propagandizing.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:43 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lol, apparently they've never heard of the black KKK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Governments and people taught in history class should not be judged by the morals of today. They should be judged by the era in which they or those events took place. Did this country have slavery and laws that discriminated against a segment of the population,…yes. But such practices were not exclusive to USA nor did they begin with the nation’s founding. The founders did good things. However it seems todays educators only want to focus on the negative.
“It seems…?” On what are you basing this wide sweeping statement about todays educators?

Old 02-12-2023, 09:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
..., you say they were not taught. To be "taught", you have to sit and wait for instruction. You can't have it both ways. Now I agree that children are not given enough time to think and reason.
I trust all teachers understand students seldom learn by sitting and listening. Teach by engagement and example. Make it exciting and active. I enjoyed chatting with teachers in some countries who are amazed and concerned that USA elementary schools are full of desks and chairs. They ask, "how in the world does that work? You expect kids to sit around and be idle?". They don't have chairs in their elementary schools. Sometimes they use exercise balls for short periods of sitting while reading, but their kids are not confined, nor were ours. Since we 'unschooled', ours learned on the go - from daily trips to foreign fresh markets, to mixing feed and fertilizer ratios while farming, plus dealing with customers in the kid's business. For jr high, they each designed and built their own homes. No sitting around. Lots of learning by doing (active).

Even in my country school of yesteryear, we were very active and often engaged with upper level students mentoring the younger, or their peers who needed assistance. We learned by doing and experiences, not by sitting and listening to a lecture.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:08 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This is no different than 1000s of Christian schools. Both include religious instruction along with traditional school subjects.
Except this organization is a denoted hate group, like the KKK and the Neo-Nazi's.

I even included a link to that.

How do you not know about Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam?

Old 02-12-2023, 10:13 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
I trust all teachers understand students seldom learn by sitting and listening. Teach by engagement and example. Make it exciting and active. I enjoyed chatting with teachers in some countries who are amazed and concerned that USA elementary schools are full of desks and chairs. They ask, "how in the world does that work? You expect kids to sit around and be idle?". They don't have chairs in their elementary schools. Sometimes they use exercise balls for short periods of sitting while reading, but their kids are not confined, nor were ours. Since we 'unschooled', ours learned on the go - from daily trips to foreign fresh markets, to mixing feed and fertilizer ratios while farming, plus dealing with customers in the kid's business. For jr high, they each designed and built their own homes. No sitting around. Lots of learning by doing (active).

Even in my country school of yesteryear, we were very active and often engaged with upper level students mentoring the younger, or their peers who needed assistance. We learned by doing and experiences, not by sitting and listening to a lecture.
I teach an elementary grade. I don’t know anyone who expects students to sit and listen to a lecture. Student discourse is encouraged during class. During a math sense making routine students are now very comfortable sharing their strategies and don’t get upset if someone else has a different answer or saw it differently. There is a lot of discussion, sharing and understanding of opinions across the curriculum. If it’s a nice day classes might be found in the courtyard or elsewhere around the building. 2nd graders release their butterflies in the butterfly garden, which they maintain. Third graders do the same with their ladybugs. They have a meadow of milkweed and maintain compost piles. We’ve walked the grounds looking for signs of erosion. In my 30 years of teaching I’ve never expected my students to be seated and quiet for long periods, with the exception being what is required for state testing. There is a lot of movement, whether it be the Morning Meeting activity, rotating through math stations (which include “Hands On” games or manipulatives), finding a spot to meet with a peer during writing or a comfortable spot to read. Do you prefer to stand? You can do so. Flexible seating arrangements with many options for work areas are a popular thing in schools. Traditional desks and chairs are replaced with bean bag chairs, stools, high top tables, kidney shaped tables, rugs, and couches.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:21 PM

426 posts, read 223,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A few years ago, my son was in elementary school. One day, his teacher asked out loud in class "What do you think of the phrase Black Lives Matter?"

Immediately, several students said, "All Lives Matter!"

They had the right idea, as if by instinct.
Not by instinct, likely by hearing their parents repeat the phrase at home. Hopefully, the teacher is helping the students to develop critical thinking skills so they can develop an informed opinion of their own and not simply parrot phrases like that.

Old 02-12-2023, 01:24 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I hope that some of our critics here take note of one thing -- there is a wide disparity of opinions and attitudes toward this topic. Maybe deciding what and how to teach curriculum in public schools is not as easy as they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education