Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 12:30 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm sure the best teachers will flock to the 'private' schools...I mean who wouldn't jump at the chance to earn far less money?

"Full-time teachers in public schools earned about 30 percent more than private school teachers, pulling in an average annual base salary of $61,600, compared with $46,400, according to the survey from the National Center for Education Statistics."
And zero job security and worse benefits to boot.

There are definitely Cadillac private teaching jobs at the fancy high-end prep schools. That pay well and have good benefits. But they are a tiny fraction (less than 5%) of all private school teaching jobs. And they rarely come open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 07:33 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
That's one very general thing. And it's vague. And if you just read this forum, I would think you would get the sense that getting those R's and D's to agree on what should be in those 'more time' hours is something that would be very difficult to come to a consensus on...just like there is no real consensus on such topics here on the forum. Because it can't just be that either the conservatives or the liberals win...it has to be a consensus. I rarely saw such consensus at Board Of Education meetings or even PTA meetings. It was always various groups talking past each other.
I get that the devil is often in the details.

But isn’t the whole point of education to focus mainly on the core subjects of education?

What else is it supposed to be about? I don’t understand what is vague about that.

At least, it sounds to me like a good starting point.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:41 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I would say that American adults reading at a 6th grade level is some proof that we are regressing in education

Old 04-07-2024, 07:44 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
I'm sure the best teachers will flock to the 'private' schools...I mean who wouldn't jump at the chance to earn far less money?

"Full-time teachers in public schools earned about 30 percent more than private school teachers, pulling in an average annual base salary of $61,600, compared with $46,400, according to the survey from the National Center for Education Statistics."
Since I said nothing about private schools vs public schools, you are simply responding with your own bias against private schools.

What I said was "IF our education system was in a competitive market ...." If you ran a restaurant and over half your customers told you that your food sucks, would you tell them how wrong they were or would you work to improve your food?

Without blaming your customers; without blaming partisan politics; can educators think of just three reasons why your customers are dissatisfied with our education system?

Old 04-07-2024, 07:56 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Since I said nothing about private schools vs public schools, you are simply responding with your own bias against private schools.

What I said was "IF our education system was in a competitive market ...." If you ran a restaurant and over half your customers told you that your food sucks, would you tell them how wrong they were or would you work to improve your food?

Without blaming your customers; without blaming partisan politics; can educators think of just three reasons why your customers are dissatisfied with our education system?
To take your analogy - when there is only one restaurant in town they can set the standard which does not have to be very high
But when there are two or three - they have to compete with each other

Old 04-07-2024, 01:13 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I get that the devil is often in the details.

But isn’t the whole point of education to focus mainly on the core subjects of education?

What else is it supposed to be about? I don’t understand what is vague about that.

At least, it sounds to me like a good starting point.
Okay. But think of the discussions on this forum. For the most part are they about social studies, science, English, and math (admittedly, more on math and science)? Or, have most of the discussions been about tech classes? In fact, several posters have questioned learning anything about poetry, novels, and some other topics is the traditional core class of English. Instead, they want only classes that focus on $$$ potential.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quit playing games. As soon as you talked about 'a competitive market' in education, you were talking about private schools/charter schools versus public schools.

Since an overwhelming percent of Americans disapprove of the way Congress is doing their job (far more than disapprove of education), how the Supreme Court is doing their job; and since 50%-90% of Americans feel the nation is going in the wrong direction in general...do you even think the American populace that have those feelings could specifically outline what improvements need to made?

I would occasionally have parents come in to complain about various issues. And there were, in general, two types of complaints:
1. Here's what happened to my kid (and it often turned out to be VERY inaccurate)
2. I heard [gossip] that...

And I've mentioned this before: We had a PTA that could virtually NEVER come to any kind of consensus on almost anything. And it never got into actual politics. Brilliant ideas like -- 'let's fly the entire 8th grade to Hawaii for the eighth grade dance at the end of the year'.

Wanna talk about the average citizen's knowledge about education law?

To a huge extent, Americans are pretty dissatisfied with almost everything. Dissatisfied with their grocery store. Their drug store. The transportation system. The health system. Housing. How we handle the poor. Name it. We're a generally unhappy lot...because we're so spoiled.

Old 04-07-2024, 02:17 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Quit playing games. As soon as you talked about 'a competitive market' in education, you were talking about private schools/charter schools versus public schools.
I'm not playing games. I was NOT talking about private schools or charter schools. I made an analogy to a common model that most people understand. That you "heard" private/charter schools is 100% on you.

Old 04-07-2024, 03:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:

The survey that started this thread was not, in fact, a survey of the "customers" of public education. Not even close. It was a survey of the general population about the general state of education. For all we know, it was a bunch of grumpy old retired folks who just want to pay less taxes. Which would be like surveying a bunch of 20-somethings about their satisfaction with Medicare.

When PARENTS are actually surveyed about THEIR OWN SCHOOLS there are large majorities that support them.

These are the actual customers of public schools. The top line in this graph:

Old 04-07-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The survey that started this thread was not, in fact, a survey of the "customers" of public education. Not even close. It was a survey of the general population about the general state of education. For all we know, it was a bunch of grumpy old retired folks who just want to pay less taxes. Which would be like surveying a bunch of 20-somethings about their satisfaction with Medicare.

When PARENTS are actually surveyed about THEIR OWN SCHOOLS there are large majorities that support them.

These are the actual customers of public schools. The top line in this graph:
I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for posting that info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education