Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

I have some ideas for schools and school districts across the United States:
1. Post nutritional information for school lunches and any other food or beverages sold on campus on the internet and have the same information available in all of the individual campuses.

2. Post data on numbers of English learners (Students who know languages other than English but do not possess fluency of English) and the specific languages that they speak. California has this information published.

3. If the district is an urban district, the district should translate school profiles into non-English languages commonly spoken by parents. I.E. Alhambra USD, headquartered in Alhambra, California, posts its profiles in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Chinese.

In addition, parents and members of the community should establish websites that evaluate the details of the schools in their communities. I.E. www.insideschools.org is a site that evaluates New York City public schools. The site publishes more than test scores; the site explains many details of the schools, including atmosphere, curriculum, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
Quote:
Post nutritional information for school lunches and any other food or beverages sold on campus on the internet and have the same information available in all of the individual campuses.
Why? I see kids take their lunch money and use it in the vending machine all the time. Most students do not care about nutrician when a Milky Way is calling!

Quote:
In addition, parents and members of the community should establish websites that evaluate the details of the schools in their communities
Have you visited rateyourteacher.com (I believe that's the site)?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:49 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
3. If the district is an urban district, the district should translate school profiles into non-English languages commonly spoken by parents. I.E. Alhambra USD, headquartered in Alhambra, California, posts its profiles in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Chinese.
Maybe the parents could learn to speak the language.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 AM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times
Quote:
I have some ideas for schools and school districts across the United States:
1. Post nutritional information for school lunches and any other food or beverages sold on campus on the internet and have the same information available in all of the individual campuses.
I agree with jco, most students do not care. The school I teach at does have nutrition info posted in the cafeteria and the only students I see looking at it are the stick-thin girls trying to eat as few calories as possible. Yes, let's help borderline anorexics eat less! If it was on the school website and/or sent in a letter to parents, that would be useful.

Quote:
2. Post data on numbers of English learners (Students who know languages other than English but do not possess fluency of English) and the specific languages that they speak. California has this information published.
This isn't done for privacy reasons. Even if it was, what purpose does it serve?

Quote:
Many districts already do this.

Quote:
In addition, parents and members of the community should establish websites that evaluate the details of the schools in their communities. I.E. www.insideschools.org is a site that evaluates New York City public schools. The site publishes more than test scores; the site explains many details of the schools, including atmosphere, curriculum, etc.
Ratemyteacher.com and ratemyprofessor.com seem to be very popular sites, though I wouldn't say student opinions are objective. Not that parent opinions necessarily are either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education