Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

http://www.k12.dc.us/File.aspx?id=0 (broken link)

As much as i think rewards for good grades should be non-monetary, I wont blame DC's public schools for trying to increase student achievement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 03:06 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
My grandma used to pay me for every A a got. I see nothing wrong with the school giving a little cash incentive for good grades.

Our local bowling alley gives kids free games for every "A" (or "O" in the younger grades) that they earn in their final grades. It was a nice reward for our 8 year old's hard work at school.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportFlash View Post
I think there was a study done at one time that showed giving kids incentives to do better wasn't all that successful, but when they began to reward the parents for their kids' achievements, it proved to work.
LOL that's funny, but you know, I believe it.

I wonder how much these kids are going to get (If it's not much they might not expect it to work for very long, not many kids will work for straight A's to get a $5 reward at the end of the year)

Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
My grandma used to pay me for every A a got. I see nothing wrong with the school giving a little cash incentive for good grades.
I think it's different when a private individual or business rewards good work. It is something else entirely when you force the taxpayer to cough up the dough.

DC taxpayers have to pay for the students to get an education. And then when the students accept their free education, the taxpayers have to shell out even more?

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
I think it's different when a private individual or business rewards good work. It is something else entirely when you force the taxpayer to cough up the dough.

DC taxpayers have to pay for the students to get an education. And then when the students accept their free education, the taxpayers have to shell out even more?

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I think, in the long run, a report card full of A's and B's would be a lot less expensive (on all involved) than a report card filled with D's and F's.

Middle schoolers can be very hard to keep focused. I see no harm in giving the cash reward system a try. It might help.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
When I was in middle school, they gave us Fast Food coupons when we made honor roll. I really hope they don't do that anymore. Not a good way to encourage healthy eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education