Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 03:13 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Ruth, I'm not sure where you are looking but the bolded is completely untrue. You can peruse Seattle's Garfield High School course catalog (http://garfieldhs.seattleschools.org...AL%20print.pdf) and see that offered courses meet and exceed the University of Washington's College Academic Distribution Requirements (https://admit.washington.edu/Admissi...n/CADR#english). Garfield does offer more courses than any other school in Seattle but I find it hard to believe that any high school in the city would fail to offer courses at least to the level of satisfying state university entrance requirements. I would go so far as to assume it is mandated for any public high school to do so.

We have a few more years before we have to decide whether to keep our kids at their pricey private school in Texas for high school or send them to Garfield in Seattle. Even though our private school is large and well-funded with a nice variety of course options, it simply can't offer what a public school like Garfield can.
OK, thanks; I looked at Roosevelt, but not Garfield, so I'll check it out. I was referring to the social studies requirement, where the UW provides a list of courses that will satisfy their admissions requirement of 4 units (semesters) of certain SS classes: an approved list of 6. Examples were: anthropology, and World Economics. I didn't see those at Roosevelt, nor did I see them at Berkeley High, Berkeley, CA. But I like that you're doing a good job of researching all that. There was a parent or two on another thread who hadn't done the comparison between school offerings and U requirements in her part of the country, and pooh-poohed the idea that any college would require HS students to have anthropology, etc.

But as another poster mentioned, students could get the courses their schools lack by taking CC courses, and that's an option that's now much more widely available than in past eras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 05:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, thanks; I looked at Roosevelt, but not Garfield, so I'll check it out. I was referring to the social studies requirement, where the UW provides a list of courses that will satisfy their admissions requirement of 4 units (semesters) of certain SS classes: an approved list of 6. Examples were: anthropology, and World Economics. I didn't see those at Roosevelt, nor did I see them at Berkeley High, Berkeley, CA. But I like that you're doing a good job of researching all that. There was a parent or two on another thread who hadn't done the comparison between school offerings and U requirements in her part of the country, and pooh-poohed the idea that any college would require HS students to have anthropology, etc.

But as another poster mentioned, students could get the courses their schools lack by taking CC courses, and that's an option that's now much more widely available than in past eras.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. From the UW website:

If completed in high school -

Three credits of study are required in history or in any of the social sciences, e.g., anthropology, contemporary world problems, economics, geography, government, political science, psychology, sociology.

Credit for religion courses, consumer economics, student government, or community service will not count towards the requirement.

If made up through college coursework -

Courses in the social sciences—e.g., anthropology, economics, ethnic studies, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology-will count toward the requirement.
https://admit.washington.edu/Admissi...ocial-sciences

Anthropology will *count* towards the 3 social studies credit requirement, but I see absolutely nothing about it being required.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. From the UW website:

If completed in high school -

Three credits of study are required in history or in any of the social sciences, e.g., anthropology, contemporary world problems, economics, geography, government, political science, psychology, sociology..
No, I didn't say it was required, but the choices are narrow, and some parents on another thread were saying that anthropology, psychology, economics and sociology were university courses, not HS courses. They didn't believe that anything like that was required. But when you add up how many classes students need to take from that group, and the total of the approved courses, there's not much room for personal choice.

I just re-read the UW admission requirements, and you're right, I don't know where I got the "4 units". Because in fact, it's even more rigorous than I thought: 6 semesters, (=3 years = 3 HS credits by the UW system where 1 HS credit = a year's worth of HS study, except as pre-approved by UW, some 1-semester courses can count as a full credit). So they need to take 6 courses or semesters from that list of 8. That was my reading of it.

US History, Civics (or a year-long course in History/government) and world geography have always been standard in HS, but anthropology, sociology, economics and psychology have not been, except possibly in the more exceptional schoos. Political science may have been in some schools. But you can see how the requirements are dipping into college-level topics.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-04-2016 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
No, I didn't say it was required, but the choices are narrow, and some parents on another thread were saying that anthropology, psychology, economics and sociology were university courses, not HS courses. They didn't believe that anything like that was required. But when you add up how many classes students need to take from that group, and the total of the approved courses, there's not much room for personal choice.

I just re-read the UW admission requirements, and you're right, I don't know where I got the "4 units". Because in fact, it's even more rigorous than I thought: 6 semesters, (=3 years = 3 HS credits by the UW system where 1 HS credit = a year's worth of HS study, except as pre-approved by UW, some 1-semester courses can count as a full credit). So they need to take 6 courses or semesters from that list of 8. That was my reading of it.

US History, Civics (or a year-long course in History/government) and world geography have always been standard in HS, but anthropology, sociology, economics and psychology have not been, except possibly in the more exceptional schoos. Political science may have been in some schools. But you can see how the requirements are dipping into college-level topics.
All four ph my high schools had Economics and Psychology, and none would be considered anywhere near exceptional. (Economics was required for graduation in CA, though.)

Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:

They didn't believe anthropology, sociology, psychology, and economics are required because they're not!

1. One unit is one year, or one credit. Semester long classes are .5 of a credit. The vast majority of classes (especially core classes like social studies) are year long. So they need three social studies classes, not six.
2. That list of eight is NOT the only acceptable list of social studies classes. It said "history classes OR social science classes eg. anthropology, sociology, etc." Eg means such as. Not including. That is not an exhaustive list. My daughter, for example, took civics/geography as required by the state, but never took a social sciences class after that. She took AP World History, AP European History, and AP US History. And she was accepted to UW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education