Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,705 times

Advertisements

In FL kindergarten has been both mandatory for first grade attendance and full day since 1983.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
In MN kindergarten is not required NOR is it paid for by state funding. Some districts have full day kindergarten for free, some have it for a fee, some don't have it at all. It really comes down to the need or budget in each area.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
OK, take it easy everyone! Sorry, I guess the title was a little misleading! What I meant was:

Why are cities and towns not required to offer free Kindergarten?
Why should they be?

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I don't know of anyone who sends their child to 1st but didn't sent in K. It is on the books, but I have yet to find someone (other than a homeschooler) who observes this.

Dawn
You haven't been to Mississippi then.....it happens every year......and those poor babies are so far behind. It usually seems to be the most uneducated parents who do this. It just perpetuates the education problems in our state.

BTW, it is not compulsory in Mississippi. They have changed the law, though. If you enroll a child in K and withdraw them, you may keep them out. But if you re-enroll in K, then it becomes compulsory. I taught K for 6 years, and every year, we would get parents who would enroll their children and NEVER send them. It was so frustrating.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why should they be?

Because of the MCAS (a state exam the kids have to take now), there is so much pressure on the kids to pass that basically the 1st grade curriculum has been pushed back to Kindergarten. And the 1st grade has been mandatory for god knows how long.

That is why. If the curriculum was REQUIRED for the first grade, and the curriculum has been pushed back to Kindergarten, it makes sense that they should push back the requirement, instead of 1st grade, back to Kindergarten.

My cousin is a second grade teacher who has taught first grade as well and she said that the kids that don't go to kindergarten (although most do go) are almost always behind the other students.

I realize that there seems to be opposition to Kindergarten being required (I am not sure why if you ask me, they have to go at some point, and I am not sure why anyone would not send their child to Kindergarten in the first place---maybe someone can shed some light on this practice). Fine, though, if someone doesn't want to send their children to kindergarten because of whatever their reasons are, I am not going to be the one to say their child should have to go, but it should be offered free for those who want to send their children.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
NYS does not require kids to go to Kindergarten either... not mandatory.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Because of the MCAS (a state exam the kids have to take now), there is so much pressure on the kids to pass that basically the 1st grade curriculum has been pushed back to Kindergarten. And the 1st grade has been mandatory for god knows how long.

That is why. If the curriculum was REQUIRED for the first grade, and the curriculum has been pushed back to Kindergarten, it makes sense that they should push back the requirement, instead of 1st grade, back to Kindergarten.

My cousin is a second grade teacher who has taught first grade as well and she said that the kids that don't go to kindergarten (although most do go) are almost always behind the other students.

I realize that there seems to be opposition to Kindergarten being required (I am not sure why if you ask me, they have to go at some point, and I am not sure why anyone would not send their child to Kindergarten in the first place---maybe someone can shed some light on this practice). Fine, though, if someone doesn't want to send their children to kindergarten because of whatever their reasons are, I am not going to be the one to say their child should have to go, but it should be offered free for those who want to send their children.
It IS offered free. Name one city or town it isn't free in Massachusetts?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes Casey B, I am aware that it is free in all Massachusetts towns (half day, not full day) At the time I posted the thread, I had been told that several towns charged for it. I stated this correction in one of my earlier posts.

What they were actually charging for was for the second half of the day, that is not mandated by the state of Massachusetts.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
As a matter of fact, if you didn't realize, your previous post was the one that prompted me to look into the matter further!

This thread has continued only because people are chiming in about where it is required and where not.

My most recent post was in response to someone who asked "why it should be" in regards to my question "why isn't it required"

Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM

144 posts, read 552,350 times
It's not required in Missouri either. Just offered free to those who choose to attend. And we have some that do not. Their parents want to baby them another year. They show up for first grade and can't write their name or count to ten. We live in SW MO, where people have very traditional values about wanting to keep their kids at home as long as possible. No preschool, no day care, no play groups, some don't attend kindergarten....just stay home with momma. This is just a few families, by no means the entire community. I teach 2nd grade, but taught first grade also. I see a few poor kiddos every year who have no idea what to do when they are "thrown" in to first grade, after being home everyday since birth with just mom.

Im all for Mom's who stay home with their kids, but we have a few that never give their child an opportunity for socialization with other kids or any experience with interaction in a group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education