Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Really? They can't get condoms? I know in my high school, you could get free condoms from the nurse's office.
I am in the south - - what can I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Just consider the kind of sex education that is put out on TV. Not only on late night programs, but afternoon talk shows like Dr Phil and Jerry Springer, and of course, ads for various sex performance aids. How on earth does a parent manage to NOT talk to a child about sex. By the time the schools get into the act, the child has been exposed to all sorts of "education" and has probably formed many erroneous ideas about it.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
This is how my school district handled it:
1st grade: Good touch/bad touch
5th grade: Puberty talk for boys and girls in separate rooms
8th grade: Condom use/STDs/sexual health
10 or 11 grade: Much more in depth STD talks, birth video (to scare ya).

Not covered: Birth control methods other than condoms, homosexuality, or much information on women's health (like what a Pap smear is).

Old 09-18-2008, 05:22 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Our schools have sex education alternating with information about drugs every other year (okay, there's some general health info too) starting in 6th grade. By the time they graduate high school they are experts on both sex and drugs. If I have any questions, I can just ask my kids. condoms are not available.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I know that in 4th and 5th grade they separated the boys and girls to go over the basic anatomy and also things like menstrual cycles, etc. Contraception didn't really enter the picture until high school, and it was mostly taught in health class sophmore year.
I totally forgot that we were seperated as well (back in elementary school). The boys talked about certain things and the girls talked about certain things. I remember that there was a lot of excitement over this and we (my classroom) agreed to meet out on the playground and share information (you know, since we were to be segregated). Afterwards, when we met on the playground, everyone was pretty bummed since no one had anything juicy to report. What we thought we'd hear is beyond me; but we were around 11 years old, so I suppose our imaginations were running wild.

And yeah, the sex ed. thing that took place for me in high school was part health class and not strictly sex ed. as I seemed to have implied in my other post.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I totally forgot that we were seperated as well (back in elementary school). The boys talked about certain things and the girls talked about certain things. I remember that there was a lot of excitement over this and we (my classroom) agreed to meet out on the playground and share information (you know, since we were to be segregated). Afterwards, when we met on the playground, everyone was pretty bummed since no one had anything juicy to report. What we thought we'd hear is beyond me; but we were around 11 years old, so I suppose our imaginations were running wild.
Haha, I don't remember that aspect, but I'm sure it was similar for us.

I don't think it was part of the official "sex ed" program, but when my mother worked in a middle school she had a "Girls Club", where they would meet and talk about issues like sex. It seemed pretty helpful in dispelling myths and answering questions that the regular program didn't answer.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM

841 posts, read 4,838,833 times
Back in 1981 they separated the girls from the boys. It was very exciting for us 11 year olds. Parents could write to the school to request their daughter not attend the hour long sex education class. My best friends and I already knew the major elements of what they were talking about and got a great kick out of listening to 'taboo' subjects.

On a side note, when I was 11 I remember asking my pregnant girl scout leader how long it took to 'make a baby'. She responded that it took nine months. I replied, 'no, I mean how long does it take to actually MAKE the baby'. She laughed and said 'about five minutes'. Even at 11 years old I thought that was too fast!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM

432 posts, read 1,659,678 times
I remember that I learned about sex in 4th grade! I knew what it was, but it didn't know that it was called sex! I don't know if we had sex education in 4th grade just because I asked students in my class, "What is sex?" They said,"It is a guy and a girl!" Then smiled!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
I remember that I learned about sex in 4th grade! I knew what it was, but it didn't know that it was called sex! I don't know if we had sex education in 4th grade just because I asked students in my class, "What is sex?" They said,"It is a guy and a girl!" Then smiled!
The official class period where we learned the mechanics of sex and all was 5th grade, but I remember being in the class and knowing I had known about sex (and had sex ed) for several years already. We knew roughly what happened, just didn't have the pictures or "official" information until 5th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education