Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:20 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times

Advertisements

In education courses I remember hearing over and over again that one should never embarrass students or be sarcastic towards them.

That's funny, because one of the best teachers I know - who has some of the highest state tests scores to prove it, and probably the most well liked teacher I know, is the most sarcastic teacher I've ever known and will go off on a kid and embarrass him or her in front of everyone if she thinks he or she deserves it.

A professor from my alma mater would be in shock to see her style, but it gets results. I think it just fits her personality though - I know if I did the same things she did it wouldn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:32 PM

841 posts, read 4,840,288 times
If a teacher has already established a solid relationship with her/his students, and they are of high school age, I can see where sarcasm might be tolerable and funny to an extent. However, for grade school kids, sarcasm can be detrimental. Many don't have formal operational thought yet in order to process that kind of humor.
I had a smart alec math teacher in high school who used sarcasm and other 'jokes'. He was a total a**hole and no female student that I knew respected him.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:08 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Teachers have to use what works best for them and their students. From what I can remember from my education classes during my undergraduate studies, it had been a long time since any professor had been in a regular classroom. Sarcasm has its place as does kindness and any other type of motivation that you can use as long as it is appropriate.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:14 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,240 times
once you get to know your students, you know who you can joke around with, who you can be sarcastic to, and who not to do that to. Its a balance that you learn as you know your students better

Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
That can backfire. Resentment builds when a teacher demands respect but doesn't model it. Who enjoys a hypocrite?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM

148 posts, read 629,728 times
I am not sure how it is motivating for students who need help in any subject to have a sarcastic teacher. Humilating a student in front of others is going to make the kids smarter and work harder? I am sure the sarcasm make the students and parents respect the teacher more..right!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:15 PM

174 posts, read 516,875 times
Jonathan Swift, Voltaire, Benjamin Franklin, Mark Twain, Jesus Christ - the greatest minds in the world employed sarcasm as a tool of expression. I'd like to train children to follow in the steps of the greatest minds of history rather than wallow in self indulgence and fragile coddling.

The age of a kid makes a difference here. What is incisive and educational for a high school student is not always the best means of communication for a first grader.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:12 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratL View Post
I am not sure how it is motivating for students who need help in any subject to have a sarcastic teacher. Humilating a student in front of others is going to make the kids smarter and work harder? I am sure the sarcasm make the students and parents respect the teacher more..right!
I'm not talking about using sarcasm/humiliation for not understanding something - I'm talking about using it when kids are being jerks.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM

124 posts, read 479,270 times
You have to be careful with this method. I used it during student teaching and other clinicals but only with students who can handle it. I was also a coach so I was able to use it on some of the athletes but not the over emotional students. As time went on I learned who I could joke around with and who I couldn't.

It did backfire once or twice and a quick 'I'm Sorry' fixed the problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Agreed, a college instructor was constantly sarcastic with me even when I did a good job. Resentment built and I filed a complaint to her supervisor and sure enough she stopped her rude sarcastic nagging at me.

If she had a problem with me she is supposed to say it in plain English. I even asked her if there was a problem and she said she was just giving me a hard time. What a rude idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
That can backfire. Resentment builds when a teacher demands respect but doesn't model it. Who enjoys a hypocrite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education