Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:09 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times

Advertisements

My son told me that a boy in his class was asking the teacher where the other students were going. She ask him if he was done with his test. He said no, then the teacher says,"Then shut up and turn around."
The boy started crying, and cried for a bit. Finally, the teacher went to him and told him that she was sorry for hurting his feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM

305 posts, read 1,729,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
My son told me that a boy in his class was asking the teacher where the other students were going. She ask him if he was done with his test. He said no, then the teacher says,"Then shut up and turn around."
The boy started crying, and cried for a bit. Finally, the teacher went to him and told him that she was sorry for hurting his feelings.
I had teachers like that, mostly in high school. It's not the best response, but everyone has bad days. It's good the teacher apologized.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,243 times
Using shut up is not nice. Can you be fired for saying it? I don't think so. I, personally do not say it to my students or allow them to say it to each other. The teacher may have been frustrated and let it slip.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:20 PM

274 posts, read 606,253 times
Quote:
Kids should know that they are forbidden from talking while taking a test. Maybe "shut up" was not the correct phrase to use, and yes it may have been inappropriate for elementary school students, but it does not warrant disciplinary action on behalf of the teacher.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:42 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
Would you find it acceptable if the teacher had said it to you? It is completely inappropriate for a teacher to speak that way to a student, I don't care if she apologized or not! Words have lasting affects on children and I can't believe that anyone would find it acceptable to bully a student like that!

Old 11-01-2008, 04:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
No, that isn't acceptable.

Yes, kids should know not to talk during the test, but teachers are trained to deal with kids and if they resort to telling them to 'shut up', even on a bad day, then maybe they should consider another career path or get further training.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 PM

I thought it was out of line as well. I know that my son knew that it wasn`t right either. I have taught him that saying "shut up" to someone is wrong. My flags are definetly up with this teacher.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:30 PM

I was always told to shut up...even by parents.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

I like the saying,"Be quiet."

Old 11-01-2008, 06:45 PM

I agree it's more appropriate for little kids to say "be quiet" (I'm assuming these kids are elementary aged), but after a certain age I think they can handle "shut up". My teachers in middle/high school occasionally cursed and it was never a big thing. Is it different in other parts of the country???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education