Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 01:30 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times

Advertisements

What should I add to my teaching portfolio to search for a job in Preschool and K? Do you think I should add lots of pics of activities and then my resume and all? Should I make it into a powerpoint presentation and send that off first to see if I get an interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:19 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Do you think I should add lots of pics of activities and then my resume and all? Should I make it into a powerpoint presentation and send that off first to see if I get an interview?
No?

Add what ever teaching experience you have and add a reference or two from said school.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times
I got both of my jobs without portfolios. Have a cover letter, resume, and be prepared to do a demo lesson. You can do a portfolio if you want to. Consult a book about one. If you do put pictures in your portfolio, don't put picutres of children's faces unless you have release forms.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
depends on the school district. If it's for a district that is short on teachers, and they will hire anyone with a degree and a pulse, having a portfolio such as you discribe, might make them wonder if you are so great, why are you looking for a job with them.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:45 PM

473 posts, read 760,786 times
When I got my early childhood certificate, all of my professors talked about what we should put in our portfolios: our personal education philosophies, our thoughts on classroom management and organization, an in-depth child observation, our student teaching reflections, various lesson plans and themes, bibliographies and pictures.

Interviewed with four schools, and not one asked to see my portfolio. Schools will not hire you based on your portfolio. I agree with the other posters and make sure your resume, cover letter, transcripts and references are in order.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
I've spent so much time on my portfolio. Went on 2 job interviews and no one wanted to see it. But I would still make one just in case, but would focus more on preparing for interview questions, b/c those can be tricky!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:11 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I did a portfolio for my last round of interviews for an administrative position. I put in my resume, thank you letters (with any identifying information on students removed) from parents, teachers and administrators, copies of powerpoints I had done for trainings and presentations, and copies of transcripts and licenses. I took each job description and wrote my qualifications under each responsibility. It really helped me focus and prepare. You can take it into the interview and show them what you've done as they ask questions.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM

268 posts, read 1,015,063 times
I agree with the last post. If you can get some good letters, that is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education