Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 PM

272 posts, read 729,967 times

Advertisements

Raised by the TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I would happily invite anyone into my classroom for a day who does not think that teachers deserve their pay. I will sit and take notes while you do my job. I bet that by the end of the day, you will certainly be saying that teachers don't get paid near enough. I honestly wonder if those who think teachers don't deserve their pay could actually handle a child with severe behavior problems, being hit by a student, parents who don't give a #$@^, inadequate administrators, or even worse being beat up by a group of students. I know many teachers who face things like this on a daily basis.
Oh, and I don't think I mentioned that my district as an alternative program for elementary students who have such severe behavior problems that they are like wild animals. Very sad.
Bluebelt, periodically people highjack threads on this board to state how overpaid teachers are. Keep in mind that these people have never taught and usually don't even know any teachers personally. To make matters worse, a lot of the people don't even have children in school. They base their opinion of teachers on the experiences that they had many years ago. It is so sad.

I agree with you. There are many people who would run screaming if they had to teach. NYC's mayor and school chancellor are two people who would not even last one day in the schools. Isn't it ironic?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
yes because properly educated people is WAY less important than your money.
Don't forget to add God Ble$$ America!
This is America, who need education anyway! Don't be a weirdo!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM

272 posts, read 729,967 times
America is right here on the internet!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM

82 posts, read 180,007 times
Default Won't buy ur dime for a quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Hmmmm....fewer teachers will result in even more over-crowded classes....exactly how many students can we stuff in a classroom anyway? Fewer students will also mean fewer subjects taught....but really, don't kids ONLY need to know how to read, write, and do math? Who needs to learn foreign languages? Or business classes? Why not cut out all sports and P.E.? After all, Americans are SO~ health conscious and physically fit....the kids really don't need such classes. Computer classes are completely unneccessary as kids are BORN with the ability to properly use a computer and if you do away with computer classes, then voila~! You no longer need computers or tech people or computer teachers. Why not just cut public school altogether and let everyone homeschool their kids? What else are the people who have been laid off going to do anyway? Right? And EVERYONE can teach the basics...that reading, writing, and arithmetic because seriously how hard is it to teach anyway? Not to mention that the average America's reading skills are above par, their writing skills rival that of every other nation on this planet and let's not even get started on how brilliant the average person is with mathematics. What do we need teachers or schools for anyway? Parents can do it all for themselves. That'll save every state a LOT of money and money is what it's all about anyway.

(in case you couldn't taste it, that was sarcasm)
In Theory:

If an average American Household could save 2k a year in School Taxes: (Depending Where You Live,..I'm on Long Island and Pay 12k School Tax)

They can hire a tutor if needed.
They can send their children to get Viola Lessons.
They will see an appreciation in value of home.
They can afford health insurance.
They can afford to stay in residing State.
ETC.

I have no Children,..but love my Nephews. ( I est. paid around 150k is school taxes in the last 11 years compounded annu.)

I have minor problems paying my 20k property taxes a year.

But most Americans are having big problem paying.

I respect the Teaching profession,..especially non-union.

We just need to cut back on taxes.
It's not personal. If we could pay,..we would,..The public never complained pre-pension and pre-free health.

If cutting back on administration is a avenue,..the Teachers have to handle that one.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
For the many that are for cutting the jobs of teachers I have one question. What happens when the United States no longer has public education or public universities? When education becomes private only would this reserve education for only the rich?

Would you still live in the United States?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
For the many that are for cutting the jobs of teachers I have one question. What happens when the United States no longer has public education or public universities? When education becomes private only would this reserve education for only the rich?

Public schools CAN change the way they run things. They waste a lot of money. The school district I got let go from, actually has more administrators than teachers. Do they need that many? Probably not. Then they put in a programmable thermostat in each building. Sounds like a good idea right? Well, the thermostat was programmed at 74 during the day then it was set at 85 for the evening. This met that the heat would turn on so the temperature in the building would get up to 85. Does a school really need the heat to come on in each building in southern Arizona? CERTAINLY NOT! Toward the end of the year, each teacher got brand new lap tops to use in the classroom. Did we need brand new laptops when we are all supposed to cut back? No. My school district had 5 people working in HR when they were hiring no one and 3 secretaries at each school. Does a school need 3 secretaries? No. I think you get my point here. There is a lot of wasteful spending going on.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:

We never had a problem up to 1990's and that was with one earner per household. Poor, middle and rich could afford anything with hard work.

School Taxes where in line of income and Universities where also affordable so was health care.

I understand your comment if your in your 20's,..Please understand ours.

Teacher Unions ask for more than the public can afford. Blame it on Union contracts,..Health insurance,..pension funds, Screaming kids..whatever,....It has to change. You have to compromise. It's not fair.

I live in Nassau County Long Island NY. People here cry when they open up their property tax bills. Our State should be a great example of how uncontained State services have destroyed our economy,..you would think they would learn after what happened in California.

Imaging you where forced out of your home after 40 years of paying property taxes. It's not right. Please learn from this. Public service was once a proud profession,..people who wanted to change the world got into being teachers and police.

I hope you are treated fairly with your situation and are happy with the outcome. The are many great Teachers and I have kept in touch with a few that have changed my life for the better. I have alot of respect for your choice of profession,..not too many people understand your dedication as they should,..but some do. They'll be better times ahead for the public and I'm sure this is just a bump in the road we can resolve with working together.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Public schools CAN change the way they run things. They waste a lot of money. The school district I got let go from, actually has more administrators than teachers. Do they need that many? Probably not. Then they put in a programmable thermostat in each building. Sounds like a good idea right? Well, the thermostat was programmed at 74 during the day then it was set at 85 for the evening. This met that the heat would turn on so the temperature in the building would get up to 85. Does a school really need the heat to come on in each building in southern Arizona? CERTAINLY NOT! Toward the end of the year, each teacher got brand new lap tops to use in the classroom. Did we need brand new laptops when we are all supposed to cut back? No. My school district had 5 people working in HR when they were hiring no one and 3 secretaries at each school. Does a school need 3 secretaries? No. I think you get my point here. There is a lot of wasteful spending going on.
We all know about porker school districts, but we are talking about schools not the pig that snuggles them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
We never had a problem up to 1990's and that was with one earner per household. Poor, middle and rich could afford anything with hard work.

School Taxes where in line of income and Universities where also affordable so was health care.

I understand your comment if your in your 20's,..Please understand ours.

Teacher Unions ask for more than the public can afford. Blame it on Union contracts,..Health insurance,..pension funds, Screaming kids..whatever,....It has to change. You have to compromise. It's not fair.

I live in Nassau County Long Island NY. People here cry when they open up their property tax bills. Our State should be a great example of how uncontained State services have destroyed our economy,..you would think they would learn after what happened in California.

Imaging you where forced out of your home after 40 years of paying property taxes. It's not right. Please learn from this. Public service was once a proud profession,..people who wanted to change the world got into being teachers and police.

I hope you are treated fairly with your situation and are happy with the outcome. The are many great Teachers and I have kept in touch with a few that have changed my life for the better. I have alot of respect for your choice of profession,..not too many people understand your dedication as they should,..but some do. They'll be better times ahead for the public and I'm sure this is just a bump in the road we can resolve with working together.
I am not a teacher or a future teacher. I am a future nanotech scientist and almost 30. The reason i asked the question was because i see these large cuts towards education but nothing about reform, for example, removing the department of education or forcing large districts to cut the fat as some people say.

When i was a kid i worked for a school district and i thought it was efficient. It was an 8 school district with 30 kids per class room and a high school the size of a community college. There were 5 accountants, 1 secretary, 3 IT professionals, 2 mechanics, and 5 maintenance people. Wonder what happened.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
We all know about porker school districts, but we are talking about schools not the pig that snuggles them.

I am not a teacher or a future teacher. I am a future nanotech scientist and almost 30. The reason i asked the question was because i see these large cuts towards education but nothing about reform, for example, removing the department of education or forcing large districts to cut the fat as some people say.

When i was a kid i worked for a school district and i thought it was efficient. It was an 8 school district with 30 kids per class room and a high school the size of a community college. There were 5 accountants, 1 secretary, 3 IT professionals, 2 mechanics, and 5 maintenance people. Wonder what happened.
I had as well as many 30-35 a class. I f you mention that on the Long Island today,..the teachers cry bloody murder.

The last School budget vote was either vote yes for 4% increase or no for 6% increase. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Anyway,..In able to cut stipend,..Your Schoold board would have to neg. with the Teachers Union and contract your district signed. We have had teachers in William Floyd District agree to take 1,200 or less this year,..but their getting 83k this year and a raise to 86k next year.john.hildebrand@newsday.com The property taxes are still going up to cover budget cost.

Now,..who makes up the School board? Parents and Teachers.

A School board really doesn't care if you can afford to pay,.it just wants it's money. If you childs teacher told you,"look,..our best interests is for your child." Your going to give in.

So, what do you do? Like you said,.cut the fat,..reform the way schools are run,...and reform salaries. This is only done through your state Capital,..with contains Polls elected by the help of,...Teacher Unions.

Maybe we have to start at special interest groups and limit their say,..I am a Union worker in the private sector,..but I fear the demolishment of Unions will be led by the hard headedness of Teacher/Police taking all near,..down.

Other than that,...I don't know,..any ideas,..I have to run and work my second job.

Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education