Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,929,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
In Theory:

If an average American Household could save 2k a year in School Taxes: (Depending Where You Live,..I'm on Long Island and Pay 12k School Tax)

They can hire a tutor if needed.
They can send their children to get Viola Lessons.
They will see an appreciation in value of home.
They can afford health insurance.
They can afford to stay in residing State.
ETC.
Of course the money would truly help some families. However, other parents will gamble, drink, or carelessly spend the money away. I see families on welfare with Beamers in their driveway and their kids wearing Jordans (very expensive shoes). The interior of their house? Disgusting. It's tough to balance...

Quote:
I have no Children,..but love my Nephews. ( I est. paid around 150k is school taxes in the last 11 years compounded annu.)

I have minor problems paying my 20k property taxes a year.

But most Americans are having big problem paying.

I respect the Teaching profession,..especially non-union.

We just need to cut back on taxes.
It's not personal. If we could pay,..we would,..The public never complained pre-pension and pre-free health.

If cutting back on administration is a avenue,..the Teachers have to handle that one.
Yeah, the system is strange. If you have children, you receive tax breaks. If you don't have children, you pay for others' to go to school. While I don't understand the logic, teachers have to get paid and laying them off isn't helping them, the children, or the future of the nation. The future already looks bleak, we need the brightest minds to shine more than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
I just don't believe it as far as teaching being a poor choice of professions. In fact, with all those baby boomers entering their 2nd childhood (Golden Years), I think many, many jobs are about to open up in any and all fields. 10 years from now will be a very good time to get a job in this country.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

82 posts, read 180,024 times
Default Won't buy ur dime for a quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Of course the money would truly help some families. However, other parents will gamble, drink, or carelessly spend the money away. I see families on welfare with Beamers in their driveway and their kids wearing Jordans (very expensive shoes). The interior of their house? Disgusting. It's tough to balance...

Yeah, the system is strange. If you have children, you receive tax breaks. If you don't have children, you pay for others' to go to school. While I don't understand the logic, teachers have to get paid and laying them off isn't helping them, the children, or the future of the nation. The future already looks bleak, we need the brightest minds to shine more than ever.

I had to laugh,..I'll accept you didn't give your response much thought.

I never said to lay-off teachers,..Teacher Unions that are in Budget cuts,..rather lay-off teachers than accept a decrease in package. It's a way the Laid-off Teachers can file for unemployment and added unemployment benifits giving to them by union contract and collect til the Union calls back. Do it for the Kids!
I just want to abolish Free health and cut pensions in half. I think the Salary is stable and should be kept high, as it is now.

As far as the future:

Maybe kids should learn now that pumping money into a system you cannot afford and doesn't work, needs reform.

I'm sure they'll be peed off after they graduate,..and find out that they can't afford to live where their family resides.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
I had to laugh,..I'll accept you didn't give your response much thought.

I never said to lay-off teachers,..Teacher Unions that are in Budget cuts,..rather lay-off teachers than accept a decrease in package. It's a way the Laid-off Teachers can file for unemployment and added unemployment benifits giving to them by union contract and collect til the Union calls back. Do it for the Kids!
I just want to abolish Free health and cut pensions in half. I think the Salary is stable and should be kept high, as it is now.

As far as the future:

Maybe kids should learn now that pumping money into a system you cannot afford and doesn't work, needs reform.

I'm sure they'll be peed off after they graduate,..and find out that they can't afford to live where their family resides.

I'm assuming you didn't respond to the first part of my post because you were aware that many people will completely waste the extra money given to them. Still, you just wanted to focus on the wonderful things that could be done with the money.

I wasn't linking the notion of laying teachers off to you. I was commenting on what you said, and then I went a little more broad (regarding the original subject).

Regarding your comment about the children, put some thought into your own posts. Teach kids (4-18) about how the education system ill managed their budget? Yeah, I understand you're just being bitter about the waste of money in the education system, but at least make some sense with your rant.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:

I'm assuming you didn't respond to the first part of my post because you were aware that many people will completely waste the extra money given to them. Still, you just wanted to focus on the wonderful things that could be done with the money.

I wasn't linking the notion of laying teachers off to you. I was commenting on what you said, and then I went a little more broad (regarding the original subject).

Regarding your comment about the children, put some thought into your own posts. Teach kids (4-18) about how the education system ill managed their budget? Yeah, I understand you're just being bitter about the waste of money in the education system, but at least make some sense with your rant.

I did respond to your comment with, I had to laugh,..I'll accept you didn't give your response much thought.

Secondly,..you suggested tax payers would waste money giving to them,..it's not money given to the,..it's THEIR money.

Ok,..I'll try another approach,..this is easy,..just like looking at the pictures and not reading the story:

Overall US- America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

NY state - America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

NY state is #11 on the list, percentage wise. There are 987 NYS High Schools.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I did respond to your comment with, I had to laugh,..I'll accept you didn't give your response much thought.
Then you're an idiot. A mindless response merits similar responses.

Quote:
Secondly,..you suggested tax payers would waste money giving to them,..it's not money given to the,..it's THEIR money.
Really, you want to argue semantics? Grow up.

Quote:
Ok,..I'll try another approach,..this is easy,..just like looking at the pictures and not reading the story:

Overall US- America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

NY state - America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

NY state is #11 on the list, percentage wise. There are 987 NYS High Schools.
You know what's easier than looking at pictures? Not even clicking on the link. I don't know what those are in reference to regarding what I posted, so I'm not going to waste my time. Maybe if you prefaced the purpose of the links, I'd care. But, you didn't and I don't.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Then you're an idiot. A mindless response merits similar responses.

Really, you want to argue semantics? Grow up.

You know what's easier than looking at pictures? Not even clicking on the link. I don't know what those are in reference to regarding what I posted, so I'm not going to waste my time. Maybe if you prefaced the purpose of the links, I'd care. But, you didn't and I don't.
The Link would show you that,..money does not equal higher education.

I believe your suggestion that money saved by tax payers by cutting Union benifit plans, be spent on Beer and drugs should be the next Campaign motto: "If you vote for me,..I'll tax you so much,..you wouldn't have money to buy crack!" It's very funny.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The Link would show you that,..money does not equal higher education.

I believe your suggestion that money saved by tax payers by cutting Union benifit plans, be spent on Beer and drugs should be the next Campaign motto: "If you vote for me,..I'll tax you so much,..you wouldn't have money to buy crack!" It's very funny.
Thank you. I'm able to work with this.

I'm not sure where I said that money equated higher education. If I did, I did so too rash. There are a lot of factors to improve education. I thought I was saying that cutting teacher positions was not a solution (which, again, wasn't a debate with you but from the original post). Now, cutting certain, malpracticing teachers would be a step but they should be replaced with other teachers.

If you thought that I was suggesting the money saved from reduced taxes would be spent only on drugs n crap, then one of us got it wrong. I was playing the devil's advocate. Yes, some parents will use the money wisely. Though, other parents will selfishly and irresponsibly throw the money away.

Now, if you want a debate on "it's their money, let them do what they want with it", you'll have to find another partner because I don't really want a part of that. Hopefully I'm done with the clarification.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of factors to improve education. I thought I was saying that cutting teacher positions was not a solution (which, again, wasn't a debate with you but from the original post). Now, cutting certain, malpracticing teachers would be a step but they should be replaced with other teachers.
I guess it all depends on the District and if your able to fire Teachers if their under Union contract. Are there many malpracticing teachers out there?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM

242 posts, read 788,800 times
Default Im confused

A person on this thread replied that teachers have to take a hit just like everybody else but yet they almost misspelled every word in their reply. Are you kidding me? Teachers are very important. Some administrators make 6 figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education