Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,802,305 times

Advertisements

I've gone from psychologist,nurse, teacher, professor, principal, government worker, professor to....

I am interested in the environment, politics, education (k-12), higher education, helping people, making a difference,economic development...etc

Right now I plan on majoring in Public Administration but I'm also thinking of getting a double major in Public Administration and Geography.

I'm mostly interested in working for the federal government in the future BUT upon graduation from college, I want to work for the state. I would be happy being a college professor also but I'm not sure how much demand there might be for the subjects I want to teach (Political Science). I would gladly go into Environmental Science BUT I hate Chemistry and it's just something I have a huge weakness in.

Any suggestions for the the best major(s)?

Public Administration & Geography
Public Administration only
Other

I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 01:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,913,031 times
I hear an MPA is a great degree choice.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,876,829 times
Stop focusing on the subject.

Most people go to school to get a career. What career do you want?

If you don't know use this resource: Table 1. National employment and wage data from the Occupational Employment Statistics survey by occupation, May 2007

It lists total current employment and wage. More employment generally means more job openings and hence more likely to get a job. If there is only 20,000 jobs currently chances are you will have a hard time getting a job after you graduate in that field.

Once you've picked out your occupation use this tool:Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition

It gives a summary of the field, working requirements, education requirements basically the full nine yards on what you need to know for the field. From what I've read, it is very accurate. I am studying accounting personally and everything in the job description is spot on.

Study the field that your future occupation requires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education