Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 AM

416 posts, read 712,910 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the geographic distribution of private high schools? I know the New England boarding school stereotype, and I'm one of those Northeasterners who still asks people where they went to high school (as I said to a friend from out West who thought I was being odd: our schools are older than your states). But how many boarding and/or day schools are there in, say, the south, or the midwest? Are there more in places like Florida that have people from all over? Or fewer?

Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:45 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
it is my understanding that after the schools in the South desegregated, many many private schools popped up to serve families that wanted out of the public school system. That was, of course, a long time ago.

When I lived in the south in a town that was about 50/50 Caucasian/African American, our town had a city school system and a county school system and the demographic voluntary segregation was quite obvious. There were also many private schools that had student bodies that were primarily one race or the other.

What I have seen elsewhere (outside of the South, where I lived as a parent, and the Northeast, where I attended both private and public schools) is that many private schools are Christian. In the large southwestern city near my home, there are also lower grades Montessori schools and upper grades non-religiously affiliated schools, and, of course, Catholic schools run by the Archdiocese.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM

272 posts, read 730,377 times
Most of the private schools in this area (region, I'd say) are what we call "segregation schools". Most of these didn't last very long, and the ones that did survive it wasn't always because of quality instruction.

Which is not to say that some of them can be very good. I don't know of any boarding schools at all until you get to Swannee (at the University of the South) in Tennesee.

There are two very exclusive private schools here in Columbia, SC. I know from teachers who work there that there are great students, not-so-great, and gangs. They get a lot of graduates that go on to the best colleges, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that these children were more likely to have been raised by their parents and inherited smart genes if such things exist.

So no, we don't have anything in the tradition of the New England boarding schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education